AMC: New SOD.com interview with head writers

• Members

My two cents.... I think AMC has great actors and actresses, but they are not used! AMC is a Zendall/Ryannie show, and that needs to be changed. Other characters should get storylines.

For the actresses and actors, personally, I can't stand Annie/Ryan/Zach. Greens & Ava rock :)) And I am so happy that Hannah is back, because Stacy Haiduk is a great actress.

I still kinda hate AMC crew that they let go Kelli Giddish (Di), beacuse she is a great actress too. AMC definetely needs to bring back : Bianca, Maggie, Brooke, Dixie, and a recasted/or not Leo, Vanessa, Hayley and Mateo. And let the fun begin :)))

Oh God, and yes, if Di is leaving, why is Del still in the town? Get him out...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Alicia Minshew is okay as an actress. I'd rate her a 6 out of 10. I think she does great with her romantic and comedic scenes but I think she is totally out of her element in most of her dramatic scenes. I think she just goes to far and ends up acting hysterical rather then going for a better acting choice in silience. Some of the saddest scenes in television aren't of people hysterically screaming and yelling but someone trying so hard not to breakdown. Is she fantastic no. I have felt on several occassions that Budig, Lucci and Rigel out acted her in dramatic scenes.

Cady is an anomaly. There are times where she works great with the material she is given. I think that her performences opposite Vincent and Micheal E. Knight are brilliant and seasoned performences. However there are times when I don't think Cady gives it her all either. Cady's latest stint was very hit and miss. Perhaps due to Cady's interpretation that Dixie turned into a ultra cold hearted bitch and would be so disconnected that she couldn't show an ounce of emotion to her family due to the loss of Kate.

During 2004/2005 I thought AMC had a wonderful crop of young actresses. Eden Rigel, Alexa Havins, Kelli Giddish, Levenn Rambin, Tanisha Lynn were all tremendulously well casted actresses. But then they started firing all of them and now only 1 actress is to remain on the cavanas. The dialution of young talent is going to severly hurt AMC. Are these actresses as good as Julia or Cady? No but they all had a great amount of potential to be great. That's something I feel AMC is losing. I may be alone in this but I think Ambyr Childers (Colby Chandler) is awful most of the time.

I don't agree. During the baby switch Eden and Alexa were both critically acclaimed and were both awarded emmy nominations and the first finally won her award for that same storyline. Levenn also has been acclaimed by many in the soap community. Kelli Giddish also had a sizeable amount of hype to her when she first debuted as well. AMC had MANY caliber actresses until they started firing everyone and everyone started leaving AMC. Rebecca Budig and Terri Ivans were also high calibuer actresses.

As far as power houses go I thought Eden and Alexa rocked the show on more then one occassion in 04' and Rebecca was also awesome in most of her scenes.

Eden is a quality actress that needs to return to this show. I would lump Melissa in the same boat with Sabine and Alicia.

I actually think Sabine and Alicia are one the same level.... :unsure:

• Members

I really am not a fan of the overated, obvious to the point of laughable Crash but I do like stories being interwoven...

"It's that Claire Labine and Harding Lemay often emphasised the danger of copying movies and how lethal that may be. "

But didn't Labine actually do that a LOT? Early on with the RYan's Hope King Kong story but I know her later Gh and OLTL stints had her mentioning movies as inspiration an awful lot...

• Members

Soap Opera Weekly: In what direction will you take ALL MY CHILDREN?

Barbara Esensten: [We're] going to start with the core characters and the core families. Their histories haven't been utilized as much as we would like to utilize them. One example is the Martin family, with the three generations on the show. Another area is the teenagers on our show. We'd really like to have them involved in real-life problems that kids and their parents understand.

James Harmon Brown: We want to create a world that can showcase a younger character, and have more of them. One of the immediate goals in the next few months is to bring kids on the show and make it more of an ethnically and culturally diverse place.

Esensten: Humor is really important to us, because you can be dealing with a lot of situations that are heartbreaking; you try your best to use humor to lighten the mood.

Weekly: So fans can expect a somewhat lighter show?

Brown: Very much lighter. But juxtaposed with very real circumstances. One of the things we hate to see on shows is when tragic things happen and there are no consequences. We believe that if you keep doing that, the audience is going to stop believing that anything bad can happen [because] it'll all be fixed next week.

Weekly: Will you tie up the loose ends left by the previous writers?

Brown: We've been here for about a month, and we're building the house with the ingredients we have now, knowing there are certain things left [out], like the whole issue with Adam, Tad, Jenny and Julia. That's still to be resolved, and we plan to do it.

Esensten: We plan on [finding] interesting and different ways of tying up any questions in [viewers'] minds about stories that were started [by the previous regime].

Weekly: Do you have plans to revitalize any characters that came on the show with big storylines that have since been phased out?

Brown: We have big plans for several characters that haven't been prominent on the canvas up until now. We're familiar with that [situation]; we have a couple of people who have not been big players for the past year.

Esensten: And who we think have great possibilities.

• Members

I couldn't agree more. It is sad..... At one point we had Julia Barr, Cady McClain, Kelly Ripa, Eva LaRue, Robin Mattson, Sydney Penny, Marcy Walker, Jennifer Bassey... all part of the cast at the same time.

It is really sad if you think about it.

The best actress currently on AMC I'd have to say is Susan.... but all the ones mentioned above can outact Susan.

• Members

I agree that Susan is hit or miss. She's much better when they let Erica be calm and emotional. Her hysterics wear thin, and Susan seems to over act them. But when she does low key, and sutble, she gives me chills. :wub:

One of my favorite Susan scenes and it's posted on You Tube, is when Erica was telling Jack and Jeff about how she felt about Josh being her son. How she felt about having been violated by Greg. It was raw. emotional. It cut you as deep as she was. It wasn't over the top. She didn't yell, or do the diva thing. God. Took my breath away. :)

Anyway, return to your regular discussion. LOL :)

• Members

I don't agree. I don't know what it is. But I don't like Levenn's acting when she is portraying Ava. Perhaps it's because Levenn is young or maybe she just doesn't have enough experience but I have never before seen a dual role look so forced and contrived. Her style is shallow, stale and uninspired as "Ava Benton" her style as Lily is fresh, quirky and light. It's completely different in terms of quality. I don't know. I just never felt such a change in quality in terms of acting style between Levenn's roles as Lily and Ava.

To dress it down. Levenn sucks as Ava IMO. While she soars with Lily. Sadly I feel this is just a way to phase Lily out so that they can have a normal oversexed character that looks like Lily. Levenn is a hit and miss. She isn't consistent with her work IMO. At times she can make gold out of a scene just like Eden, Alexa and Kelli. But their are also moments where she blows a scene and is no better then Ambyr Childers.

Susan is another hit and miss actress. But when she's good she's better than most. I think Bobbie Eakes is a good actress, i'm surprised no one has brought her name up. She is consistent and is a powerful actress when given the material. I would say she is atleast as good (if not better then) as LaLucci.

the best actress currently on AMC I'd have to say is Susan

Bobbie Eakes, Melissa Claire Egan, Susan Lucci, Levenn Rambin, Alexa Havins and Kelli Giddish (the latter two are both leaving soon ) are the best actresses I see on this show.

Archived