SOAPnet rewinds Ryan's Hope AGAIN

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder how many of the episodes have modern music? I would suggest they just drop those shows, and continue with the next in line. I would prefer that to missing everything. How cool this person spoke with Claire Labine.

• Members

Loved seeing it from the very first eppy. I forgot how Ilene's played the role of Delia, and after yesterday, I can't wait to see more.

I am still scratching my head as to why Frank ever married this woman (either version).

The downside is having to wait to see the recasts in the roles. Faith #1 is a huge disappointment.

I am just overjoyed right now.

BTW, when does Jill first appear? And how long til Daniel Hugh Kelly as Frank?

ANDREA

• Members

So, basicallly, they can play millions of dollars for ONE TREE HILL, THE OC, and ad-nauseum plays of "I Don't Wanna Be," and "TKO," but they can't shell out at most two-three songs per week for RYAN'S HOPE?!

Stupid! I still believe the only reason Frons is doing this is to sabotage RH, because SOAPnet's new audience will be very disinterested in seeing extremely dated material, esp. those who like OTH and THE OC. I expect to see RYAN'S HOPE done for on SN pretty soon.

• Members

I agree Bellcurve, this is total sabotage. We all know the audience is small due to the ridiculous timeslot and many of the core viewers will stop watching because they've seen these episodes at least twice! Pop songs have been used in the past year so they could pay if they wanted. Still, I don't believe that is the reason. You rarely (if ever) hear that as a problem for shows in syndication. DVD is different because there were no provisions made for tv shows on DVD. All of SOAPnet's classic shows (including Another World) regularly play pop music.

Another thing, didn't they promote Marg Helgenberger joining the cast prior to re-starting the series the last time? Why would they do that if they didn't have rights to the songs? Besides, they've shown later episodes via the St. Patrick's Day marathons.

I wouldn't be surprised if they told Claire Labine that, but I don't trust SOAPnet or Brian Frons.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jul 26 2007, 02:04 PM)
I agree Bellcurve, this is total sabotage. We all know the audience is small due to the ridiculous timeslot and many of the core viewers will stop watching because they've seen these episodes at least twice! Pop songs have been used in the past year so they could pay if they wanted. Still, I don't believe that is the reason. You rarely (if ever) hear that as a problem for shows in syndication. DVD is different because there were no provisions made for tv shows on DVD. All of SOAPnet's classic shows (including Another World) regularly play pop music.

Exactly. THe ASCAP excuse was the same one Michael Logan gave to the online soap column he answered questions for awhile back as to why SOAPnet hasn't acquired SB. He even went on to mention SOAPnet wanted to rescore SB(similar to the way it has been done when the show is shown in other countries).

I just don't understand why SOAPnet couldn't have the bankroll to pay for one or two stupid song rights a day, especially if the show is relegated to one airing a day. I just think it's a poor excuse.

And it's like SOAPnet isn't even bothering to come up with any solutions, like creating a second channel, even one that was in a higher digital tier or even PPV to air classics. They're not even attempting to get recent daytime "classics" that could appeal to their target demo, like SUNSET BEACH, THE CITY(which, all Frons would have to do is pay a call to dear ole Agnes), SWANS CROSSING, or TRIBES.

It was so exciting years ago to think about a channel that was going to be made for soap fans that would reair the day's episodes and air classics. Now it seems like we will NEVER get the chance to watch those classic episodes.

And people wonder why soap fans are always mad at the networks?!

That makes two of us!

• Members

I like the first 5 years the best, too, but I also feel royally jerked around by SN. My whole interest in the station came from wanting to see classic soaps, not multiple reruns of current shows.

I think he admits later on down the road (or it's pointed out to him) that he likes to be needed. I think that's what made him turn to Rae after Jill, because Jill wasn't willing to completely disrupt her life for his political career, whereas Rae's life revolved around it.

Jill will appear soon. Frank and Jill's affair started before the start of the show, so she's had quite a few Franks. ;) After this actor, whose name escapes me at the moment (except that I remember he's Cristian Slater's father, lol), comes Andrew Robinson...I thought he and Kate Mulgrew had a nice sibling chemistry.

Re the whole copyright thing, I'm curious...for anybody watching the PC reruns...what are they doing about the use of "Tainted Love" and "Time In A Bottle"? I mean, iirc, for TIAB, Frank kept playing the song on the record player.

Why don't they just start an in-demand station or something? How costly are those stations, anyway? If Fit-TV, TNT, TBS, TCM, BBC-A, etc. can have them, why not SN? I mean, they could make classic soaps available that way and people could watch when they wanted. Then SN wouldn't have to be so concerned about their precious 5 am timeslot.

• Members

This info is much appreciated, Snark. It's good to know the reason, but I still remain peeved. I'm most angry over the way the '82 eps just stopped - no notice. I was about a week behind on my '82 viewing so I have about 10 eps to watch; I think I'll save them.

• Members

I'm beyond pissed that they went back to 1975. I wish SOAPnet had at least been upfront about the music clearance problems before. When the show restarted the first time back in 2003, people at the SOAPnet board called the network and were told that we would definitely be seeing the last seven years of the show. They could've at least been honest.

From the tapes I have, the show definitely uses more popular music in the 80s, but it doesn't seem like they used it as much as AW or SB. Some of RH's best storylines occured during Claire Labine's later stints in 1983 and from 1987-1989, like the Charlotte Greer saga, the Jack/Leigh romance, and the Maggie/Roger/Delia triangle (which started under Millee Taggart). I wish there was some way they could at least show the final months of the show, which give closure to most of the show's major characters.

Since PC was already being rebroadcast on SOAPnet when the arcs began airing, they probably secured cable rerun clearances for the songs at the same time that they secured them for the original run.

BTW, Jill will be making her first appearance on tonight's second episode, #0007. (#0006 won't be airing as no copy of it has survived)

• Members

Believe it or not, I seem to be one of the rare few who never watched RH in it's original glory days. In-fact, I started watching in '81, so that's why I was elated when I finally got Soapnet and the RH eppies were the one's I was somewhat familar with. I guess I will give these early shows a chance. I know I sound like a broken record, but I cannot stand the way the upcoming '82 eps were yanked with no warning!!!

Does anyone know what happens with the Ari/Faith/Jill Egyptian story? Do EJ and Roger become a couple? (I forget; I know someone from EJ's past - Ox - eventually comes to town). How about Barbara's law suit against Roger? Deila and The Crystal Palace?

• Members

These are all based on summaries/synopses I've read, so I might be leaving stuff out. Obviously these are spoilers :), but it seems like we won't be seeing these events play out on SOAPnet...

Ari and Faith eventually found the mortuary shrine of Merit Kara in a secret passage in the Smith mansion. The shrine was opened publicly, and immediately afterwards Maeve collapsed. Maeve, believing herself to be dying, revealed to Faith and Jill that Jill was the result of an affair Ed Coleridge had with another woman while in Australia. Yvonne Kaheel, Ari's former partner, showed up in Riverside again and kidnapped and drugged Faith in the hopes of learning about a mystical River of Gold. Ari tried to save Faith, but Yvonne killed him. Joe then rescued Faith and destroyed any clues to the whereabouts to the River of Gold.

EJ and Roger do indeed become a couple and get engaged; Roger planned for a St. Patrick's Day wedding, but it was moved. Ox Knowles, EJ's ex-husband whom she believed was dead, showed up in Riverside and revealed that he had faked their divorce. He wanted money from EJ so that he could pay off some loan sharks who were after him. EJ felt really guilty about the Ox situation and finally told Roger the truth. Roger became angry and broke off their engagement, while EJ and Ox eventually reconciled. EJ later left town when she spotted Ox kissing another woman.

We were supposed to see the resolution of this storyline this week. Barbara wanted Rae to fire EJ for pretending to be an extra on P&P. EJ asked Seneca to help her trap Barbara, and he finally agreed to do so and caught Barbara walking. Barbara agreed to drop the malpractice suit.

Joe eventually loses his share in the Crystal Palace. Mega-rich Hollis Kirkland later breezes into town and buys the air rights for numerous buildings in the area, including Delia's Crystal Palace. Delia and Kirk get into a struggle for control of the building, and he finally sends the IRS after Delia, who finally loses the Crystal Palace for good.

• Members

Sean! Thanks so much for the scoop! At least I can get some closure now. You're right, these are indeed spoilers, but as you cited, it doesn't appear that we'll ever be seeing these eps. Thanks again for the info.

• Members

I think they were being honest the last time. When it was first restarted it still aired during the day and had promos. I fully believe that we won't be seeing the seven years promised to us because they don't care about the show anymore.

I guess we need to enjoy the final days of Ryan's Hope because it's the last of any classic soap on the network. Santa Barbara, Capitol, even more recent shows like The City or Sunset Beach? Forget it! Hell, I wouldn't even count on Passions!

Archived