WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit & Family Found Dead

Ryan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been reading more updates on the Television Without Pity forum for WWE. Here's the latest...

The poster who provided the last update also said that testimonials from the wrestlers about Benoit were removed from the website. I truly am in complete shock. Everyone is saying they suspected this when they heard the news, but I didn't. I just assumed since he's such a huge star that this was a home invasion or an accident.

I feel so bad for the WWE talent having to put on a regular show so soon after this tragedy. I don't know how they're going to make it through. My thoughts are definitely with them.

Moving away from this particular story, just a few weeks ago a mother hanged herself and her four children and just last week a man shot his wife and two kids to death. Of course we all know the tragic Jessie Davis story which saw Bobby Cutts killing the pregnant mother of his children.

Why do these things keep happening? I tune into the news too often and see a story like this. It's very worrying. The WWE angle is very shocking, but I hope someone in power examines what seems like an epidemic to me.

• Members

Thank Chris for the updates. My heart and my mind are just so at odds right now. I've always loved Benoit. It was just last week, I was telling Ryan how he was going to be wasted on ECW. I was so quick to think she did something--not the other way around. Assuming all of this is true,I don't know if I can fully venerate a man who not only killed his wife but small son. If you're going to kill yourself, don't take anyone else with you. I'm sorry if that offends others, but

this is surreal. I hope all of this turns out to be a big mistake.

• Members

Wrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son, Daniel, were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. The deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide, authorities told ABC News.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, and friends say they received what they called "curious" text messages from Benoit.

Concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check." When sheriffs arrived at the Benoits' home, they found the wrestler, his wife and their son dead.

There were no signs of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. Authorities are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation or strangulation. Pope told ABC News that his department is looking at this situation as a "possible double murder, suicide."

Pope said "the instruments of death were located on scene," but he would not specify what those instruments are or where in the house the bodies were found. Pope added the department is "not actively searching for any suspects outside of the house."

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. However, it could be weeks before there is a result.

Benoit, 40, was scheduled to spar against C.M. Punk in a pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston for the Extreme Champion Wrestling title. But Benoit canceled before the event, citing personal reasons.

'Canadian Crippler' Remembered by Fans

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Benoit was known in the ring as the "Canadian Crippler."

Following the announcement of the deaths, World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement: "Chris was beloved among his fellow superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and toward his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class warm, friendly, caring and professional one of the best in our business."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

• Members

You know, I was just thinking the same thing, but I might just be a little harder with it. How can I feel bad for a man who killed his wife and son? This is what I heard happened. Nancy was going to leave Chris, due to their problems and she was going to take Daniel with her, and I guess Chris didn't want it to happen. I watched the tape again of him on ECW last week, and this may just be me, but I looked in his eyes on the tape, and the way he looked at the audience. He knew what he was going to do, I believe. No one knows what happened, Chris is dead, as is Nancy and Daniel but it was reported that Chris sent out text messages that were strange. I guess he was just unhappy. It also doesnt help that he was constantly being put down by Michael Hayes, who kept telling him that he just didn't have it anymore. Who knows? Whatever the reason, I hate to see 1 person lose their life, unnessacarily, and I REALLY hate to see 3.

• Members

That's a heartbreaker. I didn't know about any of those factors. None of which absolve murder but he was under a lot of stress apparently.

They aired his last ECW match last niht, but I didn't pay much attention to it. My mind was sill reeling. I'll look at it again to gauge for his reaction. If he did plan all of this, that's so sick. IF.

It's ironic. The person you marry is often the one that will send you into an early grave. But that poor boy was an innocent casualty. Why can't people just walk away? This is why I'm not in a relationship. I can't let someone have that kind of power over me.

My heart goes out to his other kids and the entire family.

I can't believe this is how it all ended. Sad.

• Members

Well, I heard Chris was found in his weightroom, and that is according to the police. I dont want to shut this down, because it may be true, but you cant believe what any old person post, especially at a time like this. Also, the cops cant know what happened because Chris and his wife and son were dead. Chris Benoit apparently sent out weird Text messages after he called WWE and said that he couldnt show.

• Members

World Wrestling Entertainment star Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their 7-year-old son Daniel were found dead inside the family's secluded Fayetteville, Georgia, home on Monday, say authorities investigating the case.

"We are currently treating this as a double homicide-suicide," Fayette County Sheriff's Department's Lt. Tommy Pope, told PEOPLE. "We feel confident that everything is contained within the home."

Benoit (pronounced: ben-WAH), 40, a native of Canada, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles during his career. He had two other children from a previous relationship, according to the Associated Press.

Married to Benoit since 1985, Nancy Benoit (formerly Nancy Daus), 43, managed several wrestlers and used the stage name "Woman," according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Speaking to the paper, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said of the case, "The details, when they come out, are going to prove a little bizarre." Ballard, while declining to say how the fatalities occurred, also told the AP that no gun was used in the deaths.

Autopsy results are due Tuesday, according to a spokesman for the Sheriff's Department.

On Saturday, after informing WWE officials of "a family emergency," Benoit was conspicuous by his absence from that night's live event in Beaumont, Texas – and again at WWE's Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston 24 hours later.

Friends who received curious text messages from the entertainer on Sunday morning contacted the wrestling organization, which in turn asked the Sheriff's office to run a welfare check on the family at their home on the south side of the Atlanta metro area.

After learning of what occurred, the WWE canceled its live Monday Night RAW, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation posted in a statement on its Web site.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20043775,00.html

• Members

TMZ has learned more about the deaths of WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit, his wife and son -- and the information is extremely disturbing.

Several Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation on the cause and time of the deaths by the coroner.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday's WWE "Vengeance" Pay-Per-View program- possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home.

A police investigation is ongoing.

• Members

However this happened and why we will probably really never know. This is a tragedy regardless. An innocent child lost his life way to soon at the hands of someone he trusted, be it his mother or father. My heart is breaking for the entire Benoit family.

• Members

It doesn't really matter who did it, Chris, Nancy and their 7 year old Daniel are dead. Can we please have some respect for them and Chris' fans and not speculate on who did it, who's to blame for this. It's a tragedy that three people are dead, there is no need for speculations on the reason why - we may never know the reason why.

Archived