WWE Wrestler Chris Benoit & Family Found Dead

Ryan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New York Times Article

Stone Cold Steve Austin's ex-wife Debra said abuse like this is rampant in the WWE.

“Stone Cold” Steve Austin’s ex-wife Debra Williams spoke on the FOX 31 web site about the Benoit family tragedy. “Domestic and drug abuse is out of hand in the WWE and something needs to be done about it,” commented Williams, who also claimed that she witnessed Austin use steroids. “If only I had spoken up sooner, maybe Nancy and her little boy would be alive today ... That's why I'm going public now. Something has to change!” A victim of domestic violence in 2002 by Austin, Williams told the web site that she filed for a restraining order from Austin after a third incident between the couple. Williams alleged in the web site that Austin forced her to write a letter to the courts, ending the restraining order. Williams later consented to a gag order regarding the matter.

I was surprised because I thought he was one of the so called good guys. Not every wrestler is necessarily violent. That goes for nay other profession that involves physicality. As a fan, I respected Benoit for his technical skills. From all accounts, he behaved like a rational and sane human being. But he obviously had demons he could not escape from. I was fooled. That's why I was shocked. If this had been Scott Steiner, I woldn't have batted an eye but Benoit was.is so repected.

But there's no way in hell a bastard like him is being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Many people excel at their jobs, but their efficiency doesn't excuse a heinous act as this.

As for the roid accusations, it's not just in wrestling. it's everywhere.

I know I'll never watch a Benoit match again. I'll just see him murdering his poor family.

Sad. I wish he would've gotten some help. I hope it's revealed he had a brain tumor or something. Otherwise, he's just a cold blooded killer.

• Members

And this is why people need to leave Vince and the WWE alone. Obviously they were decieved and at the time that they paid tribute to him, they believed he was getting the respect that they thought he deserved.

• Administrator

Even though steroids may not be a factor in the deaths, Congress should still go after the WWE and other wrestling organizations just like they do with Baseball. Something needs to be done about the steroid use in professional wrestling.

• Members

Benoit tragedy not the only one

Kevin Hench

FOXSports.com, Updated 4 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

Professional wrestling is fake.

The carnage it has left in its wake is not.

Add Chris Benoit to the long list of freakishly muscled carnival attractions for whom a pro wrestling career ended tragically.

Toxicology results are pending and Benoit may well have been battling deeper, more primal personal demons when he reportedly killed his wife and son before taking his own life, but only the most naïve observer could ignore the overwhelming evidence that most wrestlers who look like Benoit have undergone countless cycles of chemical enhancement.

The prescription anabolic steroids found at Benoit's home have long been known to contribute to paranoia, depression and the violent outbursts we've come to know as "roid rage." Couple that with the near-compulsory painkillers a wrestler must take to do his job effectively after enduring countless body slams and you have a cocktail for massive, mind-altering mood swings.

The Benoit story is the latest and most tragic installment in an ongoing saga that the men who get rich promoting professional wrestling would prefer their fans didn't know too much about.

Photo gallery...

Wrestling tragedies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WWE: Steroids not to blame

Other wrestling deaths

Video: Benoit details

Vince McMahon wants you to think about the stars of today and tomorrow, not the cemetery of steroid-fueled bodies his "sport" has helped put in the ground. But on the grim occasion of the deaths of Nancy and Daniel and Chris Benoit, let's remember some of the other pro wrestlers who died before their time.

Ravishing Rick Rude — Died at 40 of an apparent heart attack in 1999, a bottle of prescription pills for his bad back at his side. The autopsy report said he died of "mixed medications." Rude was an admitted user of anabolic steroids.

Louis Mucciolo, a.k.a, Louie Spicolli — Died in 1998 at age 27 when he suffocated on his own vomit after ingesting massive amounts of Soma and alcohol. Investigators also found an empty vial of testosterone, pain pills and an anti-anxiety drug at the scene.

Brian Pillman — An admitted user of steroids, he died of a heart attack at age 35 in 1997 on the morning of WWF's In Your House: Badd Blood pay-per-view event.

Rick "the Renegade" Williams — Died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at age 33 after being released from his World Championship Wrestling contract in 1999.

"Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig — Found dead of a cocaine overdose at age 44 in his motel room on April 10, 2003, the morning of a match. Hennig's father maintained that steroids and painkillers contributed to his death.

Rodney "Yokozuna" Anoa'i — Died of a heart attack in 2002 at 34.

Davey Boy Smith, "The British Bulldog" — Died of a heart attack at age 39 on May 17, 2002. An autopsy report indicated that past steroid use had likely played a part in his death.

Michael "Road Warrior Hawk" Hegstrand — An admitted steroid user, he died of a heart attack at age 46 in 2003.

Michael Lockwood, "Crash Holly" — In 2003, at the age of 32, he choked to death on his own vomit after ingesting 90 painkiller pills.

Jerry Tuite, "The Wall" a.k.a. "Malice" — Died at age 36 in 2003 of an apparent heart attack in his hotel room.

Raymond "Hercules" Hernandez — Dead of heart failure in 2004 at age 47.

Ray "The Big Boss Man" Traylor — Found dead of a heart attack in 2004 at age 42.

Eddie Guerrero — After a long battle with painkillers, he was found dead of a heart attack by his nephew in his hotel room at age 38. The first person his nephew reportedly called was Guerrero's best friend, Chris Benoit.

Chris Candido — Died in 2005 at age 33 from a blood clot after breaking his tibia and fibula and dislocating his ankle in a pay-per-view event.

Owen Hart — Fell to his death at age 34 in 1999 when the rigging that was lowering him into the ring malfunctioned.

And then there's the story of the Von Erich wrestling family.

Wrestling patriarch Fritz Von Erich, nee Jack Adkisson, had five wrestling sons: Kevin, David, Kerry, Mike and Chris.

David died in a hotel room in Tokyo at the age of 25 in 1984 just as he was embarking on a three-week pro wrestling tour of Japan. The official cause of death was acute enteritis, severe inflammation of the intestines.

Three years later, Mike committed suicide by overdosing on the tranquilizer Placidyl at the age of 23. After David's death, Mike had suffered a series of setbacks including a serious shoulder injury that had left him severely depressed.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

Devastated by the deaths of his older brothers and frustrated by his own limitations as a wrestler, the youngest and smallest brother, Chris, shot himself to death at the age of 21 in 1991.

Two years later, Kerry, who had battled a long addiction to painkillers, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the age of 33, leaving eldest brother Kevin as the only survivor of the sport that had defined his family.

And now Chris Benoit, his wife and son have been added to the long, unbearably sad list of victims claimed, in part, by the brutal chemical calculus that is professional wrestling.

There is no arguing that the physical capabilities of these massive men can provide awesome theater. When Hulk Hogan lifted the 500-pound Andre the Giant and dropped him to the canvas, it was legitimately hugely thrilling.

But keep in mind there is a price these impossibly engorged specimens are paying for your entertainment.

And the price for many of them is their very lives.

• Members

I'm surprised that Debra has come out the confirmed it, this was a big rumor back went it happened along with their divorce (which she seemed to disappear afterwards when it happened.) I'm not surprised, but Vince is just recently started the steriod testing (or I should say enforcing the rules.) So maybe he will do something about this too, instead of turning his head; especially if these deaths are the consequences.

• Members

Its true though....In fact the entire article is true. Its time that Wrestling just be ended completely. People say Boxing is a joke nowadays thanks to UFC. At least Boxing is REAL! Wrestling is mostly a bunch of steriodal enhanced rejects making a spectacle of themselves in front of large audiences as they perform fake moves, hits, and attacks. Its amazing how I used to think that stuff was real. And its even more sad to see that there are adults who actually think that that stuff is really happening.

As for the lists of deaths thats reality. A lot of people have been affected in a negative way by Wrestling and this latest death just proves that if any "sport" needs to be investigated its wrestling. So no I don't find the list of deaths gruesome. I think its necessary that people find out the crap thats occured over the years.

• Members

Shocking. So many over a relatively short time.

I don't follow wrestling so I wasn't aware of those real life consequences, but you'd have to be Helen Keller to think there isn't a steroid abuse problem in the industry.

• Members

I'm still waiting for a timeline that makes sense before I make a judgement that he was the killer.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=3320736&page=1

http://accessnorthga.com/news/hall/newfull...y.asp?ID=115243

She died friday, he left for TX by plane on friday and returned home on Saturday, and then killed the son when he got home?? What exactly was the son doing during that time if he'd left him home alone with his dead mother's body? Playing XBox? We then have the absense of any form of ransom note, and phone conversations about coming out to the event on saturday, but text messages only regarding the dogs and his address (that anyone could have sent from the phones)?

There are so many holes in this case, and it's quite evident that police never even considered anything other than "big dumb wrestler goes mental" just because he was a "big dumb wrestler".

I'm waiting for more solid details before I just blindly accept the scraps that don't make sense that the mainstream news media is feeding, in an attempt to sensationalize the story.

• Members

And if they showed you the long list of stunt performers killed, would you stop watching movies/tv? Or a list of all the people who die on construction sites, would you refuse to live indoors?

There is not a profession in existence that does not have a list of people who are dead, or injured because of it.

Archived