ALL: Writing for Daytime Television

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CRAP! :angry:

I'm out of town for Juneteenth (June 19th) and I won't be back until the day after. I live in Fairfield County so it's only a 45 minute train ride.

DAMN, DAMN, DAAAAAAAMN!

There'd better be a podcast, transcript or somethin'!

It's a good thing I don't like wine and cheese ANY way! : <_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here are some questions I hope someone will ask if they are not addressed during the panel discussion:

1. What kind of soap writing do you think is most enjoyable -- breakdown, dialogue, head writing? Why?

2. Do you believe that after a few years of writing on a show, especially head writing, one can "burn out"? How do you know when that's happened, are there ways to avoid this, and what should a writer do when he's burned out?

3. Do fanbases have too much power over storylines today, even at the cost of what you believe to be character integrity?

4. What is the role of social issues and realism in American soap writing?

5. Have any of you seen EastEnders? What do you think of it?

6. Is there a future for the soap genre in daytime television?

7. Do you write with particular demographics in mind (such as "women 18-49"), or do you write to tell a good story that's consistent with the characters?

8. Do you think soaps today introduce too many new characters, instead of using the characters and the history they already have (in fresh, relevant ways)?

9. Do you think there's a place for more serious soap journalism that goes deep behind-the-scenes on shows, analyzes each story for meanings and asks the cast and the writers serious questions like that, and interviews past cast and crew members to go deep into the writing and production process and to highlight soap history? Do you think there's a place for a magazine that takes soaps as seriously as, say "Doctor Who Magazine" takes Doctor Who (a long-running British science-fiction series that started in 1963, around the same time as many of the soaps)?

10. What is the best thing about writing for soaps today? What is the worst thing?

11. Soap fans say they don't want to be talked down to, but sometimes they seem to complain and not get it when a show is being subtle, dealing with important issues, or creative. For example, Ms. Labine, your General Hospital fell in the ratings during Robin and Stone's AIDS story. Your Ryan's Hope also had ratings difficulties. Sometimes it seems like soap fans just want their shirtless men and catfights, and don't want to follow a good story as it unfolds. Are soap fans really smart, or do they just say they are? Be honest -- especially if you're not working in the industry anymore, haha!

Archived