Kelly Clarkson Speaks

Shawn

• Members

Good for her. I knew I loved her for a reason :)

http://www.mtv.tv/dynamo/shells/news.jhtml?article=100137934

MTV NEWS

Kelly Clarkson makes a stand

Kelly Clarkson's latest album has been finished since January, but will not be released until July 24th. And Kelly seems far from impressed with her record label.

Some gossip sites have been reporting that there has been some tension between the former American Idol and label mogul, Clive Davis on what the album should sound like.

MTV Radio caught up with Kelly earlier in the week and here's what she had to say.

"Everybody always wants me to go in different directions. Obviously they're a record label so they need to sell records.They want the formula writers and the formula producers that do everybody else's stuff, and while I love some of those people... and I don't mind working with that...I just don't like working with someone that gives you a song and is like, 'Oh, I wrote this for you.' But you find out that they've given it to every other artist and they turned it down, you know?"

Kelly might've been feeling pressure from her label, but she didn't back down.

"My label literally sent me a Lindsay Lohan track from her last album and wanted me to record it for my new album. And while I like Lindsay Lohan, like I'm cool with her and I think she sings the song well... it's already been on an album. I don't care what pop star it is."

Clarkson was kind of offended by the whole situation. "They were just sending me stuff that was like almost insulting. I'm like, 'You can't even find new songs?"

"You don't want me to write my album but you're sending me hand me downs?' So, I ended up writing the entire thing with the people that I write well with."

You go girl!

'My December' will hit stores on July 24th.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's another one.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1559518/2...son_kelly.jhtml

Kelly Clarkson On Rumored Label Squabble: 'I Always Stick To My Guns'

Singer says she's butted heads with execs on every album — the public just found out this time.

One thing's for sure — Kelly Clarkson isn't afraid of a fight.

Though the singer says she's butted heads with her record label over every album she's done, the friction over her forthcoming My December is the one that's caught the public's attention (see "Kelly Clarkson On Her Revealing New LP: 'I'm Not Even This Open With Boyfriends!' "). Clarkson just sees it as a badge of honor.

"I've never once compromised myself, so I don't think you should," she told MTV News at Southern California radio festival Wango Tango on Saturday (see "Ludacris Owns The Crowd, Kelly Clarkson Tackles Rumors, Will.I.Am Helps Fergie At Wango Tango"). "I think that's when you start to lose fans and credibility."

Reports started surfacing that label head Clive Davis was unhappy with Clarkson's new rock-heavy direction after he spoke at Sony BMG meetings in Las Vegas in April. Posts on music-industry discussion site VelvetRope.com immediately afterward claimed that Davis said Clarkson had told him she no longer needed his help finding songs for her since she would write her own material. When Davis played her first single at the meetings, the posts claimed he asked the crowd, "Does this sound like a #1 single to you?"

Gossip sites then upgraded what would have been just a rumor about Davis' unhappiness with the project by running items that the album would be shelved (which turned out not to be true). What was true, Clarkson confirmed to MTV News, is that there was some conflict over her choice of a first single as well as the album as a whole, but it's since been resolved.

"This time, everybody made a big deal about the label and me disagreeing with the record, but that's happened every record," she said. "This is just the only one people know about, so there's nothing new. It's always the same thing, every song I come out with, every record. Everybody's like 'eh' at first, and after it does well, then they're behind it."

(See Kelly talk about butting heads with label execs over her new album right here.)

In fact, her single "Never Again" recently debuted in the top 10 on Billboard's Hot 100. And on Friday, Clarkson succeeded in getting the label to push up My December's release from July 24 to June 26. According to label rep Lou Robinson, the singer "really wanted" her fans to be familiar with the songs when her tour starts July 11 (see "Kelly Clarkson On Summer Tour, Live Earth: 'I Can't Wait' "). "She wanted it, and we wanted to oblige," Robinson said. So was any of the rescheduling related to the previous squabble with the label? "No, not at all," he said.

"I always stick to my guns," Clarkson said. "I think you definitely need to keep doing what you love, because I'm the one who needs to sing it every night."

• Members

Sometimes, the art of saying what you want to say in your music is more important than producing a massive radio hit. If people decide not to buy the album because of that... so be it. At least she remained genuine to herself and her fans, and nobody cal fault her for that!

JMO.

• Members

ICAM. I think that "Never Again" is amazing because it shows progression as an artist and shows that she's always trying new genres of music.

AND the music video is freakin' brilliant. :)

• Members

ICAM!!! Marry me Kenny! They didn't want her to release a lot of singles, but they ended up being hits. Especially "Behind These Hazel Eyes". They thought it was too "rock" for her to release. They also didn't want her to release "Because of You."

They were wrong.

• Members

I can understand why she didn't want to get some of the songs that others didn't want...and I can see why she wanted to write her music....so, I don't fault her at all for holding her ground....

I do like her new song, so I will be looking forward to getting her album.

• Members

She's like a chameleon. She can adapt to any genre of music, and I love the fact that she explores those avenues with her albums. It makes her interesting, unpredictable and certainly a layered artist... I've always loved her!

Archived