One Life to Live: Two Scoops!/ ONE IS TERRIBLE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John L had been writing for the show for the last few years. I believe he is gone again now. If they were going to bring him back seems like they would have considered it while he was working for them again. Cord's been gone for a decade now except for the one guest appearance to wish Sara off to London. I don't think there is any chance Cord will be back much less with JL playing him.

OL's recent success with recasts is not good. Clint and Marty are pretty much failures. Jess and Todd are of mixed success. Todd is routinely referred to as Jim by those who no longer recognize the character. Duke and River disasters. Sara and Joey gone in less than a year. HT's Kelly and DG's Kevin may have been the success stories and they are both gone.

• Members

cal3, Jerry Ver Dorn is a great Clint, although the writing by Higley for Clint is stupid. I think he's succesful as Clint and would be much so with a better writer. Christina Chambers is not a failure as Marty either. Christina is doing a very good job as Marty. I like her almost as good as I did Susan Haskell (and I'm a big Marty fan).

I wouldn't call Jess & Todd re-casts mixed successes. LOL. Bree Williamson is very,very good as Jessica (just as good as Erin Torpey, I can't even imagine Torpey playing Jess now). Trevor St. John has been widely accepted as Todd. He does a fine job as Todd and Todd's the same as he's alway been IMHO. I've never heard anyone refering to Trevor's Todd as "Jim". The only people who don't accept him as Todd are Roger Howarth fanatics IMHO.

I agree Matt Metzger was a disaster as Duke. He was brought back too old and it was stupid to have him have feelings for (and later have sex with) his step-mother Kelly.

Heather Tom & Dan Gauthier were successes. Tom about as good as Gina Tognoni as Kelly. Dan Gauthier was the best Kevin on this show (Erika Slezak has even stated that on her website!). ONE LIFE should bring both back pronto!!!!!!!

• Members

I guess we just disagree. CC has been panned in every magazine article I've read. I've seen little positive response about the character anywhere. I was also a huge Marty fan.. JVD is another I've seen little positvie reaction to and much negative reaction. I'll also disagree as to TSJ and BW. Both have had some success but there are many who have not warmed to either recast and it is far from the RH fanatics who think TSJ's Todd is unrecognizable at this point. In fact I've seen many who now call him Jim who were once very accepting of the recast.

• Members

TSJ's Todd is actually more Todd like now than he has been before. I would prefer JVD as Herb Callison, but he is a very good actor who could play Clint if he was written better. I think that may be your reason for not liking these characters. Negating Marty, who I do like now, CC was criticized for her acting. Dena doesnt write Todd, Jessica, or Clint true to themselves. That is why people hate them.

• Members

I wasn't referring to simply my response.

Regardless of what Dena does, the characters these actors are hired to play are Jess, Todd and Clint. If they can't make Jess, Todd and Clint come to life then I don't know how anyone can claim they are successful recasts.

• Members

Are you serious? Not to come off rude, but I just have to ask this. When TSJ is told to act, he CAN act his ass off. Did you see Bree Williamson during the DID story? I know it is a matter of preference, but I think they were excellent, even better than the originals. There are Powers that Be. Dena writes them how she wants them. I bet if Michael Malone was writing now, your opinion would differ. I bet if Dena was writing then, your opinion would differ, and Im no psychic. Actors are paid to do what they are told. Roger Howarth isn't God because he acted bad, that is what he was told to do, and Trevor is doing what he is told. Oh yes, and I must say. Bree was nominated for an Emmy, that is pretty sucessful to me. TSJ's acting during the execution is the reason OLTL is being nominated for best Drama series. That is pretty sucessful, but that's just me.

• Members

I agree I think Farah is a great actress. I also think she is an actress that has chemistry with anyone she works with. Farah Fath made the Mimi character all her own despite horrid writing and I would love to see what she can do with this character on OLTL.

BTW, for those wondering about Farah's acting ability can catch some great scenes with her on youtube, here are a couple....

Mimi Leaves Salem (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWBhg7AX5-E

Mimi Leaves Salem (Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zommZbt16yQ

Mimi and Max growing closer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMI0Fa7tFs

• Members

I saw that....her contract is up in January, which means she would last air in late February/early March. She signed a 4-year contract in January 2004.

If you notice, she never mentioned that she would be renewing her contract when it expired. Pretty much all she said was that she would be around through the end of her present contract.

Which means the original blurb about her not renewing her contract was likely correct, however the dates were off. I'm still not sure where they got August as her last airdate though. That part was wrong.

• Members

I think Bree Williamson and Jerry verDorn are doing great. I think TSJ did great in the execution. I liked him very much as Todd at one time. I'm not enjoying him so much as Jim, but I blame that on the writing. So Jay, I agree with you.

I'm beginning to get a little irritated at people who think that unless an actor on OLTL was born in the part then they are just no good. I also am as bitter as anyone that characters like Viki and Dorian don't have a more dominant part on the show, and that Dan G. was fired. However, I also don't think the show needs to be totally about people over 50 and I think the show needed to bring in younger characters, particularly males, so that women would have people to date.

As far as the Mellisa Gallo rumor, I remember two years ago TV Guide ran a blurb from a setside source saying Bree Williamson would not be renewing her contract. Her contract wasn't even up for another two years. In fact, she still has time on her contract now. So I think even TV Guide gets bad rumors.

Archived