DAYS: Corday speaks in SOD -

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

I wonder what Corday means by saying that Steve and Kayla's story "comes to an end." Does that mean we'll have a climax, payoff and resolution... or will it just fade away into oblivion like so many other Days tales?

• Members

That's just beyond sad. When Frances passes, they need to bring back Missy Reeves to tape the 'farewell' episode -- and they damn sure better have one! I'm sure Missy would do it, for Frances.

• Members

That's what worries me about this interview, Kenny. It sounds alot like the current storylines are just going to be dropped and Steve, Kayla, Sami, Lucas etc. will replace the big 4 on the backburner. Neither Corday nor Hogan seem to understand the need for a BALANCED show. Putting one group of characters on the FB for 6 months and then another group for the next 6 months is no way to write a soap opera. It reinforces the appearance of no continuity/familiarity which is a big reason why so many viewers have defected.

S&K's return hasn't worked because they've been isolated from the core characters and surrounded by newbies. They are still a popular couple and can be valuable to the show if used in the right capacity. Scapegoating them for the ratings crisis just needlessly alienates another fanbase at a time when DAYS needs every viewer it can get.

• Members

I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part. Could that be why, every six months or so, there's a new 'plan to save Days' again? They don't seem to understand the need for balance.

• Members

I don't think dissing Steve and Kayla is necessary. The simple fact is when you have them and only them frontburner from the adult crew at the expense of all major contract veterans, they are going to suffer. That doesn't make the huge mistake re: Bo/Hope and John/Marlena their fault. They simply were in the wrong place at the wrong time and asked to carry much more than they should solo. In their original run there was more than one great couple like them onscreen at the time. I hope Corday doesn't use this as an excuse to dump them or backburner them - I don't see this as at all comparable to Austin/Carrie, since those two were colorless, useless and dried up storywise when they returned in the first place. I also find it amusing that some people call Steve and Kayla useless now when they spent every second of their go nowhere stories last year orgasming at every single flashback (and I am not a major fan of theirs) . These are two of the finest actors left in daytime and I think they simply were asked to do too much alone.

While I think Corday is being refreshingly honest about not using the excuse of the lead-in, I think it's awfully convenient for him to try and pin it all on Sheffer. I think Hogan got a load of latitude (and should) but it was clear he was not getting to use the vets he wanted in all the ways he wanted from the start. Lexie's planned story disappeared along with Lexie. Stephanie was removed. John and Marlena, etc. I think he only had so much to work with for what had to be some production reasons as well as his own choices, and that left him with a lot of the young people. If Corday can merge his newfound candor with an ability to work with a man who is a very talented head writer and not make rash decisions like put the blame on him or Nichols/Evans, I think things can be fine.

• Members

Here's the thing. I have not been a viewer for 20+ years and only started watching during the Tom Langan Alice's Jewel storyline, and my favorite year on the show was the first Brash/Cwickly stuff. I enjoy Steve and Kayla, but are they (or were they ever) considered part of the "big" couples? It seems to me like YES the two actors can carry the show but the CHARACTERS cannot.

• Members

Ken Corday is the king of spin, and I don't accept his attempt to place all the blame in Hogan's lap. JER pretty much resurrected DAYS from the doldrums in 1993 and gave us some really good years. When he returned in 2003, although the storyline was hard for me to accept, he still gave us some pretty good stuff. Then, suddenly, I believe Corday turned on him and forced him to change his plans. DAYS went downhill from that point and has not recovered!

When Hogan started, he "got" the show and had major plans for the vets. He even started writing the stuff he talked about. Then, suddenly, I believe Corday turned on him and forced him to change his plans. "Let's try this now." I think the best thing he could do for a while is to keep his hands out of it!!!

• Members

Steve and Kayla are generally considered one of Days big supercouples - along with Bo and Hope, Roman/John and Marlena, Jack and Jennifer and Kim and Shane. They were very popular - as an example, their wedding gave Days its highest ratings ever (in fact, the last time Days was #1 in the ratings) and the first cover they were on in Soap Opera Digest was the first time the publication sold over a million copies.

I don't think that any one or two characters can totally carry a soap opera, especially if the writing is not there to provide the right storylines. That being said, I do think that Steve Johnson is one of the more unique male soap opera characters (not that his character has been well flushed out in this run yet).

• Members

Steve and Kayla were never introduced to the newer group of DAYS fans. They were brought back, we were given a host of flashbacks that the newer fans didn't understand, and then they were flung into the middle of everything.

They should have taken more time to explain Steve and Kayla. Chelsea could have asked Bo a lot of questions about his sister, and the audience could have learned a lot of the history that way and what makes the two tick.

I invested a lot in these characters back then, but I can understand newer viewers asking "Huh?"

• Members

Having also missed the Austin/Carrie saga I was shrugging through their latest retread as well. With Steve and Kayla, i think they are both extremely appealing actors but I would much rather see a show about the entire town.

Archived