Happy 51st Birthday, ATWT!!

• Members

You sure have changed alot over the years and you might have a hack headwriter at the helm right now, but hopefully...things'll begin to look up soon and you'll be the ATWT of old again...sooner rather than too late.

But alas, you've kept our worlds turning and our VCR's recording for 51 years and for that......we salute you, ATWT!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah, that reminds me of a couple of trivia questons...

1. What was the 3rd (after ATWT & EON) soap opera to premiere at 30 minutes?

2. What was the 1st soap opera to *expand* from 15 minutes to 30 minutes?

• Members

Oh lord, Matt, let me think about that. My first two guesses would be Kitty Foyle for the #1 and Love of Life for #2. I'm not too sure about LoL, though. I know it expanded in 1958, but I don't think any other soaps expanded between 1956 and 1958.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ATWT and EON! Two of the greatest soaps to ever hit the airwaves, yet two very different programs. Both are beloved in the soap industry. Today also marks the 29th birthday of "Dallas." The mini-series that began it all debut on CBS on April 2, 1978.

Also, on a sadder note, today marks the anniversary of the last episode of "Dark Shadows," which aired on April 2, 1971.

• Members

Good job! Kitty Foyle was the 1st soap opera to premiere at 30 minutes after the premieres of ATWT & EON. It was also the 1st 30 minute soap opera on NBC. It should also be noted that after ATWT & EON, every new soap would premiere at 30 minutes. LoL was the 1st soap to expand to 30 minutes from 15. I believe it was followed by The Secret Storm & The Brighter Day, both in 1962.

Archived