AW On SoapNet

• Members

And, although I'm not sure I can update EVERY DAY ... here's my new website featuring my snarky little comments and screen caps from reruns of AW:

http://www.theanotherworldarchives.com

The site is a work in progress and I'll likely end up changing it around eventually, but it's very basic, and easy for me to update, so I might end up keeping it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first little while with Judi as Paulina were a little jarring...I remember being appalled by that casting because Cali and Judi seemed so different and I thought Paulina would turn into a sniveling Adrienne/Beth type...but boy was I wrong (at least for the first few years Judi was Paulina).

Before long Judi and Tom together were the most electric couple on daytime. Their chemistry was UNBELIEVABLE. I think it's because both actors were so passionate and there was no holding back by either of them. They played both comedy and drama so well. I thank God that I've got a lot of their stuff on tape.

• Members

This is the first I've heard that the producers wanted Judi as Paulina while she ws working on DAYS as Adrienne.

My understanding has always been that Judi left DAYS and moved to New York to be with her husband, and actually auditioned for the role of Vicky/Marley - but didn't get it, and then they thought of her for Paulina because Cali wasn't renewing her contract.

• Members

That's largely due to Douglass Watson's death shortly after her arrival as Iris. I'm sure the story they had originally planned for Iris was directly linked to Mac, as it usually was. Despite her lack of storyline right now, I still enjoy her as Iris. Donna doesn't write as much for her but when Peggy comes on, there's plenty for Iris. She's a MAJOR thorn in the Carl/Rachel relationship.

I wasn't a big fan of the storyline until the point we're at now. And yes, I want to smack her in the face too! Before there was Y&R's Smarmen, there was Taylor. You know what they said about NBCD in the 80s- ANOTHER WORLD- "MAKES YOU WANT TO SMACK HER IN THE FACE"

This is how I've always understood it, minus Cali not renewing. I'm positive that she was let go, in favor of Judi.

• Members

I have an old SOD dated Sept 17 1991 and there's a "where are they now" feature that includes Cali. Her manager at the time, Bill Boyle, is quoted as saying, "Initially, Cali enjoyed playing Paulina very much, but during her last 8 months on the show, she became increasingly unhappy with the direction the character was suddenly taking. When Cali started on AW, Paulina was not a victim. A few months ago, Cali let AW know she wasn't comfortable with the storyline and that she wanted to leave when her contract was up. Nobody said boo to us at AW[about the situation]. I don't know how many times, Cali called the head writer and her calls were not returned. I feel that she wasn't treated well by people with whom she'd had a good professional relationship. Michael Laibson [the show's exective producer] never called me to discuss it.

"I think the situation could have been handled differently. If they knew Cali wanted to leave anyway, why not let us know what their plans were? We had no idea the role was being recast. One day, Cali went to the Daytime Emmys with the rest of the AW group. Everything was fine. The next day they gave her notice."

So, according to him, she told them she wanted to leave, and they let her go. I can see how she'd be miffed by the fact that they didn't want to talk to her about it beforehand, and just gave her notice - but she did tell them she wanted to leave when her contract was up. It seems like it was her decision, of course, it could have just been a "threat" and a way to get the writers to write Paulina in a different way...in that case, it didn't work.

• Members

I wonder if Cali ever regretted her decision to play "hardball". I liked her in the role....however, Judi....wow....LOVED her. It gave another world a shot in the arm during Anne Heche's leaving period. I love this show. It's the highlight of my afternoons. I just cannot watch what's on anymore. How could NBC blow it like this? The phenomonal Santa Barbara (which I feel even with all it's problems was just a masterpiece-except the last two years), and Another World....and look at them now! I do greatly miss Aunt Liz and the Matthews' clan....but over all it's so very entertaining.

• Members

Thank you for posting this! It's something that's been on my mind for years now :) I absolutely love Judi Evans but Cali was my favorite Paulina. I felt when Judi took over the character did a complete 180. I wonder what ever happened to Cali. Not sure if this was a rumor but i vaguely remember hearing that she auditioned for the role of Bonnie Lockhart on Days. Wouldn't that be crazy since we all know who got that part.

Archived