AW On SoapNet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're welcome. :)

Cali apparently married Geoffery Pierson, who played Frank Ryan on Ryan's Hope! They have a child together and she's done episodic tv over the years. I remember her on a show called Katts and Dog that was sort of kid's show - G rated. I'd like to see her come back and do more acting. I did prefer her as Paulina before I got used to Judi's Paulina. After a while I couldn't even remember Cali's Paulina.

• Members

I think we have about two weeks before Lorna shows up.

I finally caught up on AW and it was fabulous. I love the whole show from Dean & Jenna to Ryan & Vicky. The writing is so great and balanced. It is a wonderful show. Charles Keating is so amazing. I love Carl Hutchins and I can't wait for the stuff between him and Ryan to heat up.

• Members

SAME HERE!!! I did get to use to Judi's Paulina and I had liked her on both GL and Days but for a few years there I thought she was totally miscast as Paulina. The whole Joe and Paulina pairing ruined her character for awhile imo.

Then again, when it comes to AW I've always liked the first actor better the second one Dack Rambo was better as Grant, Charles Grant as Evan, the first Nicole, the first Stacey(sorry, but Hilary Edson is terrible compared to Terry Davis; Edson was pretty bad as Eve on GL too) the first Cecile etc.

• Members

See. This past week was how you write a soap opera.

BALANCE. Although some were on more than others, I think we saw EVERYONE at least once this past week.

:wub:

I have to admit, I'm loving Cali Timmins as Paulina.

We also have Dack Rambo departing in about 4 or 5 months and being replaced by Mark Pinter.

And why Paul Michael Valley never got a regular soap gig after this is a shame (I don't count his brief OLTL and GL tenures).

• Members

I agree on all of them except for Cecile. Susan Keith was good but Nancy Frangione made Cecile her own & I'd never want Keith back. I'd compare it to Linda Gibboney as Gina on SB and Robin Mattson as a recast Gina- it's a completely different character and while the original was good, the second version is superior.

I'd also add that Alicia Coppola was the best Lorna and Ellen Wheeler was the best Marley, though I do prefer Heche's Vicky. Also, Anna Stuart was the best Donna, Matt Crane the best Matthew, Sandra Ferguson the best Amanda, Robert Kelker-Kelly the best Sam, Kathleen Layman was BY FAR the best MJ, Timothy Gibbs the best Gary, etc....

I'm curious whether you prefer Robin Stasser (original Rachel) to Victoria Wyndham, Laurie Heineman (original Sharlene) to Anna Holbrook, and Alexandra Wilson (original Josie) to Amy Carlson.

Great post. Rambo leaves because he was sick with AIDS and his condition prevented him from being able to work. Carmen Duncan (Iris) and he were very close friends.

Totally agree about the writing, which is why I can't understand for the life of me why Donna M. Swajeski hasn't been the sole headwriter of a soap since.

And I think we all know how I feel about Cali Timmins.......:wub: :wub: :wub:

Also- isn't the Frankie/Cass/Kathleen triangle OUT OF THIS WORLD??!? You wanna talk about 3 actors that brought it- look no further than Stephen Schnetzer, Alice Barrett, and Julie Osburn.

Interesting to note that only Charles Keating, Linda Dano, and Alla Korot received Daytime Emmy nominations in 1992. To me, Barrett & Osburn are THE actresses of 1991 on AW. Neither, of course, was ever nominated.

• Members

Might I suggest that, since this is a general AW discussion thread, that someone start weekly threads for the current Soapnet episodes? I have a feeling that we're not the only ones more into 1991 AW than anything the 9 current soaps are airing at the moment....:o

• Members

LOL I never watched when Strasser was Rachel, but I did see Heineman in the role of Sharlene. Heineman was a more earthy and flawed Sharlene, than the Sharlene portrayed by Holbrook. The mistakes of Holbrook's Sharlene were in the distant past, while Heineman's Sharlene had mistakes knocking at her back door. Holbrook's Sharlene was an old-timey girl with her hair in a bun and an apron around her waist. Heineman's Sharlene was a bit more tortured as a formerly promiscuous widow. Although I loved Holbrook's interpretation of Sharlene, she did seem a little too "homey", and a little too much like her big sister Emma -- what with the bun, and the apron, and all that baking and gardening. Still, I chalked it all up to maturity. By 1988, Sharlene had matured into a woman much like Emma. I could understand and rationalize that. But, comparing Heineman's interpretation of Sharlene to that of Anna Holbrook -- well, there is a world of difference. To be frank -- Heineman's Sharlene was a recently reformed prostitute. Holbrook played Sharlene as a "woman with a past". There is a big difference. Interestingly though both actresses won Emmys for their portrayal as Sharlene.

Wilson was great as Josie, and Carlson was good although it was jarring to see the character go from model to police officer. I did not like the last Josie though.

As for Cecil, I didn't like Nancy Frangione in the role and I know I'm in the minority here. Susan Keith had a grace and she played a countress' daughter from the European boarding schools just right, while Frangione, a good actress nevertheless, played Cecile more like a neuvo-riche girl from the wrong side of the track, not a titled French debutante. To Frangione's credit, the writers are partly to blame. I know Lemay created her, but how many writers know enough about French society and European wealth to write realistically for a character like Cecile? So, it seemed the following writers just gave up, more-or-less threw out her history, and started over.

• Members

Robert Kelker Kelly was the only Sam imo.... I just remember hating him though when they brought him back as Bobby Reno. what an awful character that was.

I never could stand Mark Pinter as Grant and I'm not sure if it's because they turned his character into even more of a jerk and Pinter played it too well or if it was because i just couldn't stand to look at him on screen.

Can't wait to see more Carmen Duncan, I feel she was so under used.

And am going to miss Cali's Paulina and Holbrook's Sharlene when they depart soon. :(

Archived