DOOL: When is Corday going to wake up?

• Members

DOOL is slowly dropping in the ratings because of the lack of vets. The show has definetly imporved in writing and it more realistic and all the stories are interesting to watch, but if Bo and Hope, and John and Marlena arent on, the ratings will continue to drop. In my opinion this show doesnt have another 10 years, so why not focus on the characters that made it where it is today.

I personally think DOOL should be cut down to 30 mins and the cast should be trimmed to about 10 characters, what does everyone else think? If the ratings improve, NBC just might renew it, or another network will want to take it. If DOOL continues to drop in ratings, it doesnt stand a chance for another network.

Corday, cut down the cast and ask to be dropped to 30 mins so the show can focus on its most popular characters, John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla and possibly bring back Shane, Kim.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As sad as it is to admit, Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso are ratings grabbers and merely nothing more. I have a feeling we're going to be getting a huge dosage of the Fab4 in a couples weeks or so. That's how it always has been. They switch focus onto different characters, the ratings drops and they bring back the 4 to boost ratings. It never fails.

• Members

I agree about the 30-minute format. You can argue against, but I honestly don't see another alternative to give soaps more longevity in Daytime.

I disagree about bringing anyone else back, long-term at least. The show needs to work with their cast to make the show great again.

• Members

I agree. I never grow tired of Deidre Hall. She is SO needed right now, like in the past, especially during Reilly's reign and she's either off canvas, kidnapped, missing, etc. What's the deal? She was always a focal point. I kind of miss that.

It's kind of surprising to say that Maggie's logged more time this month than Marlena, John, Bo or Hope have.

• Members

I agree with Drew, the 4 will be back.

Not sure about the 30 minute format. I can't see why any network would bother.

Bringing back Shane and Kim would be pointless. Too much time has passed. Honestly, you would be better off bringing back Austin and Carrie.

Lack of vets is a big problem. Maybe bigger than the writing issues. Sheffer has moved completely new characters to the front on the pack. It's a show killer no matter who does it.

IMO, there is a lack of vets to be filler material. The big 4 cost $$$. That's why you need filler characters that the audience cares about to take up the slack. Austin, Carrie, Jack, Jennifer, etc. were great filler characters who kept ratings stable in between the "big" moments. They are gone and there are no characters to take their places. They've shoved newbies into those slots and it's tanking big time.

• Members

If she had her own story, I would have no problem either. The fact that J&M have a story right now, yet they're being seen less than "supporting characters" which is what Maggie is right now, that pisses me off.

• Members

Yes, I agree that bringing back Shane & Kim will do absolutely nothing. Corday probably though Steve and Kayla would take DAYS to number one and that has yet to be seen. They were more popular than Shane and Kimberly.

• Members

Why is it pointless to bring back Shane & Kim. If it is pointless to bring them back then what is all the hoopla about Steve & Kayla's return. They were gone even longer than Shane & Kim. Or even Adrienne's return which to me is the worst news in a long time because the character was so boring. There is just as much point as Kim returning as it is to Adrienne.

Personally I don't think anyone else needs to return right now either, but I don't see how one old return is pointless and others deemed necessary.

Personally I would rather have more Brady's than more Johnsons, but I really want more Hortons. That is what we were promised and we got Nick - that's all.

• Members

It's not "pointless" to bring them back. It's not pointless to bring any character back. Every character can serve a point on the show. However, there is no need for the two characters to come back. It would take up money for nothing. And yes, Steve and Kayla may have been gone longer, but people knew who they were. I know several friends that don't even know Kimberly, other than she is the other Brady sister that came back for Caroline's funeral. And the last time Shane was on was during the Larry Welch storyline and I think Charles Shaugnessy even said he wouldn't come back afterwards. I could be wrong though, but I remember hearing something about that.

• Members

I agree SteveFrame about wanting more Hortons. I am an original viewer (1965) and grew up with the Hortons. I don't think we need a lot more, but I would like to see Mike return (Michael T. Weiss would be my choice). Adrienne I can take or leave. What I see as a bigger problem with the ratings is that there is no on screen fallout when something "big" happens - John's kidney removal for instance. This is where Marlena should have been used. Don't drop the ball for a couple of weeks (or more).

• Members

Drew, I think that becomes a matter of opinion debate as to who was most popular. Shane & Kimberly had a big fan base just like Steve/Kayla did. They were very popular and often were at the top of the polls held by Daytime TV back then. I think Shane & Kimberly were even nominated for several SOD awards too.

Back then they were one of the biggie couples just like we have the big 6 now. Shane had just as many characters brought in around him as Steve did.

I think the only difference as far as some people maybe knowing who Steve/Kayla were was the constant mention of them in the magazines. As far as actually knowing the characters many didn't and many still don't really care about them as a couple.

The biggest mistake Days ever made was keeping both Shane/Kimberly and Patch/Kayla off for so long. They waited way too long to bring the characters back. And I think that is still the reason that Patch/Kayla haven't caught on with everyone. Even with them being on the show since the end of May now - going on 10 months now - the average viewers still know them well enough to accept them as a couple. Look around on the different boards on the Internet. You will see new fans say all the time that they just don't get Steve/Kayla as a couple. How can they get invested in a major story about them and their love when they still don't get them as a couple.

It has been the major fault of the writing transition, but has become Hogan's problem because he put them in this story without still giving new fans a connection with them.

And you are probably right - fans would still feel the same way about Shane & Kimberly without there being a big story leading up to fans being made to care about them as a couple first. Their return would fall flat too. But I would still love to see Kimberly back anyday supporting her sister than to see the boring Adrienne back (even if she is played by one of daytime's greatest Judi Evans).

Archived