DOOL: When is Corday going to wake up?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Corday used to be moron. But now, he just has no money. That is the reason we're not seeing our favs.

Not Hoagie.

Not Corday.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we do have to see these little dimwits, I want to see some action though.

• Members

Oh I don't want a lot more either. In fact after seeing how all the new faces in town has affected the feel of the show - the biggest mistake that Hogan or Corday could make right now is to bring anyone else on who has been away from the show for more than a year - maybe 2.

Right now when you watch Days there is no sense of familiarity. The characters in many cases are not new but many days it feels like a brand new show. No one face on some days you watch has been with the show for more than a year (maybe a little longer). And that hurts.

I don't know what show Michael Bruno was referring too when he said that by years end one show would be almost unrocgnizable but Days is that way many days for me. The acting is better, the dialogue is better, but overall it just doesn't feel or seem like Days at times.

I think right now Hogan needs to move faces like Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Peter Reckell, Alfonso, Aniston, Rogers, even the Hayes, etc. back to the forefront. It is not a matter of them being overused or more popular or being vets or whatever - it is the fact that the show needs familiarity.

I won't use the words new characters because some don't see that - but I will put it this way - there are just too many new faces - even Nichols & Evans are new faces for many viewers and because they were away for so long they are even new characters for many.

But he needs to cut the focus from the ones he has it on now. Cut them down some in screentime - not completely. Incorporate the older more familiar faces back into the stories. And he doesn't need to bring ANYONE else on for awhile until he does this.

Even Adrienne even though she is played by Judi Evans is going to be distracting. Viewers are going to have to get to know a new character, get used to a familiar face playing her, and that is going to distract from the story as the viewers get to know Steve's sister. So there for many fans you have one new character (Steve) getting a new character for a sister. Both have been gone from the show for at least 15 years, and new fans have to get to know them.

So right now I just say hold on bringing anyone back. I agree with Keith - he needs to concentrate on what he has and learn to use them before he gives fans someone else that they might possible have to get to know all over again.

• Members

Maybe "pointless" was the wrong word. It doesn't matter because I believe Shane and Kim would fall into the same trap as Steve/Kayla. Too much time has passed and the writing isn't there to do things right. That's why I said Austin/Carrie would be a better option to bring back. At least they would be familiar to viewers of all ages, not just a certain age group. The same goes for Adrienne. On the one hand, I applaud Sheffer/Corday for actually remembering history and for adding some kind of realism, but at the same time so much time has passed. I can see Days fans everything scratching their heads at "Bonnie" coming back as Adrienne who is Steve's sister. And Steve/Kayla are still new characters to many of these viewers as well.

And King is right. There is no $$$$$. That's why I don't have much sympathy for the Bo/Hope or John/Marlena fans. There is no money!

Corday's lack of business sense has finally caught up with him. His latest doozy of a mistake was gutting his middle players and stacking the cast with cheap low end newbies and expensive high end vets. Now, because of the cash crunch Sheffer is forced to use the low end newbies all the time which is helping to push the show to new all time low ratings.

IMO, the lack of familiarity is more of a problem than the slow paced writing. IMO, if more familiar characters were being pushed to the front with the same type of writing the show's ratings wouldn't be as low as they are now. But that's JMO.

• Members

I think it's a combination of the two. Viewers tend to be more tolerant of lacklustre storytelling when fan favorites are being featured. If you are going to stack the show with newbies, then more pressure is put on the writers to keep the material fast-paced and compelling. Corday may be to blame for the lack of balance but that does not excuse Hogan for dropping the ball with the characters he IS able to write for.

• Members

While I don't blame Corday entirely for that as he had to make big budget cuts, I do think it was stupid to fire Matt. Hogan would write Jack brilliantly, and I'm hoping his brief return turns into something bigger down the road.

Archived