DOOL: When is Corday going to wake up?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Like with Hope's baby naming etc. A lot of that has been happening. It did seem to begin. like someone mentioned above, right after the first of the year.

I remember when the show was a half hour and for me it was in black and white. I only had a BW TV so it may have been in color for others. When Days went to one hour, I loved it. At one time it was one and a half hours which I loved even more, but that didn't last very long. It could be done, but with the other shows on at the same time being one hour shows and if the next half hour wasn't a popular show, that would be a lost time period and not work ... that's lame, but I don't know how to say it clearer right now.

• Members

Contracts - contract actors get paid weekly. In their contracts, they have a guarantee that they will be used x amount of times a week (average is 3). They get paid for these shows regardless if they were used or not. If they use an actor five times a week but that actor only is guaranteed three shows, they will get a nice juicy "bonus" check at the end of the year or whenever their contract expires. This is also why cheap and young newbies are typically the ones that get to be on five days a week. Yes, the show has to pay them more for going over their guarantee, but they're cheap so it doesn't really matter.

• Members

Well, the way I understand it, it´s even more complicated. Contract players are paid their minimum regardless if they were really used or not, yes, but not before their contract ends. So, if DH and DDH doesn´t have any appearances for two or even more months, they are getting no money. And if the rumours are true, that´s the main reason why they are not on right now. Corday simply doesn´t have the budget to pay them. He knows he will have to pay them eventually, so he´s producing those extremely cheap shows to collect the needed money. It´s really a money saving arrangement.

I´m pretty sure they will appeat a lot during May, next disappear for all summer, and will reappear again during fall, building up the excitment towards November and end of the year.

• Members

Jane, I don't believe the speculation that shows can defer guarantees to the end of a contract. That would mean that an actor who is signed to a 3 year contract could go the ENTIRE length of that contract without getting paid a cent. I'm not saying this would ever happen but if what you're saying is true, there would be no legal reason why it couldn't. Like everyone else, actors have bills to pay. The ones who are on contract (and therefore tied to the show) would have to be given some guarantee of a monthly salary.

• Members

Whatever the cases may be, be it budget, contract or choice, what ever is being done is not helping this show. Soaps are supposed to be on for fan enjoyment and right now DAYS is not pleasing many of its fans, forget HH but the demos where DAYS has reached a new low. Just because you may have plans for them in May you don't make them obsolete now and throw out all balance. If you're going to change the face of the show for whatever reason it might as well be called a different show. That's what DAYS has been. This Willow, Jed, EJ, Phillip et al being shoved down our throats is ridiculous and fans know that they are taking over the show because it has been happening for over a month now. The show is not going to make it this way no matter what reason it is happening.

And I don't think the current writers get ALL the characters. What is there to get with new characters? Nothing. They are being written for for the first time and all we have seen are these fresh faces, again, Willow, Jed, Nick, EJ who is relatively new and whose motives have changed day to day, Phillip who has changed and become a new person, Abby who has not been a real character until now... These are what we are seeing so it is hard to say that these writers get our characters since they are writing for new ones ALL THE TIME.

• Members

I agree. Corday not saying anything is making this worse. He pulled this same crap when JER was fired and Hogan was hired. We didn't hear anything for months and now the same thing is happening. There is a budget issue but we really don't know the extent and if some of the actors took time off or what not he needs to say something. He needs to tell fans something to elaborate on what is happening so they can better understand what they are dealing with. He doesn't have to go into detail but if you give the fans enough to calm them it will make a difference. He better step up and explain things. Nonetheless, I want the show to pick up the pace and improve the balance. If they do that, it won't make a difference if he says anything or not.

• Members

At any rate has anyone noticed that after commenting about Hogan giving too much away in advance that we suddenly have a very tight-lipped Hogan and scarcely any spoilers? All we are reading besides weekly previews is rumors and spumors. To me that is definitely worse. It's also bad for me as I confuse what is rumored to be happening and what Hogan really will have happening.

• Members

Yeah but I think that is a good thing. I know we all had this discussion way back when but I think they should do away with day aheads for all soaps. Put out what the used to in the mags and limit online spoilers and people would have to watch everyday. Now you have fans looking ahead and only watching Days when their fave or faves are on and with so many fanbases that can be a bad thing.

Nonetheless, Hogan was talking way too much and I think that got him in trouble. Yeah I know he had to give us alot back then because he just started and they wanted fans to come back but it got to the point where we knew everything until finally in December they shutup and started cutting back. Hogan shot himself in the foot by giving out so many longterm plans, forgetting that things can change. Days had so many cast cuts so things could always change. When RJ got fired, the fans jumped on Hogan because he promised story for her even though it was all on Corday. It just fed into some of the fanbases that were already upset that some of the couples weren't reunited by that point. That brings up another point...which is that he promised fans Bope and Steve/Kayla would be reunited but it never happened for real until December. However, when he gave out his previews it kept making it seem like sooner and that made people angry. I like that he is quieter now but what is really weird is we didn't even get February sweeps previews this year. We always get them and that is what makes me think something happened and they had to change alot around. The 2007 previews made it sound like this would be better but everything in February seemed so thrown together and draggy. Yesterday's episode was the first episode that felt planned and together, like we were getting somewhere.

• Members

Lots of interesting ideas floating around in here. I had no idea about changes in the writing staff. For me, I'm starting to wonder if a lot of the ratings issue has more to do with actor charisma (or lack thereof) than storyline charisma or which characters are frontburner.

I mean, on paper the storylines they currently have are all interesting and well crafted. You have Belle & Shawn off on their own little island adventure, which echoes Days history, in a way, and most of the others are connected in some way to core families. And I think the younger set is, for the most part, very talented. But frankly, only Melvin draws me in and makes me want to watch what's going on. Otherwise I'm down to pull summaries off the net and browse spoilers, because I can play it out in my head with fewer commercial breaks and no distracting background music.

So I don't know if they should bring back the core four- all of whom have a great ability to connect with the audience and make people see beyond boring storylines and sometimes-weak acting- or if they should try to find actors who can replace them.

Also, I strongly disagree with the idea that Corday should speak. I can't even remember the specifics of why anymore, but I dislike the guy. He seems to always speak to the opposite of reality, and there's no need to give him more opportunities to do that.

• Members

To me being quiet on the home front opened the floodgate for rumors and speculation which have no basis in fact or what will actually happen, then it's easier for some to think, well, he lied because it didn't happen that way or didn't happen at all and Hogan gets the blame. There are so many rumors around now it makes my head swim and I just think it makes Days seem all the more unorganized. At any rate, PR, I totally agree that yesterday's episode had a solid feel. Actually most of the week, though draggy, was focused.

• Members

Perhaps it is because I am loving the Shelle storyline, Sami/EJ story, Steve/Kayla story and the Chelsea/Nick romance that I am really loving DAYS right now, because I will agree that outside of those characters/stories, DAYS really hasn't focused on much else.

The show is a little unbalanced at the moment, but what are you gonna do...we can't have everything. The writing has improved immensely and I am really enjoying the show right now.

My ONLY MAJOR gripe is how much Bo and Hope have been backburned, outside of that I am a happy camper.

• Members

dont bring back anyone if u are not going to use them! corday needs to add more vets and use them! its simple...shane and kim returning or patch and kayla returning is not going to work if u dont write for them...some people would say they are writing for steve and kayla..ok they are in a wacked out story and then you alienate the rest of the fans of bo hope john and marlena! where is the big story for kate?days is a holy mess.

Archived