Seeing Hayley finally be herself and especially hearing her trash Bill’s daughters is giving me LIFE although I can already see the frustration coming when yet another criminal gets away with everything.
As Broderick and others have pointed out, Hayley’s backstory makes no sense. She’s simply too young to have pulled off that many cons. What I don’t understand is why nobody has connected her to Randy yet. The Randy/Sammy connection should be incredibly easy to uncover, especially since he’s closely connected to Vanessa (and to me, that’s another writing flaw)
I’m still behind and only up to Monday, but that episode was yet another therapy-speak fest. Nicole, Martin, Izaiah—they’re all endlessly understanding, emotionally aware, and capable of empathizing with everyone. Honestly, this show has convinced me that psychiatrists and therapists have no place on soaps. They rationalize away all the irrational behavior, which also takes away the fun and the drama. A soap where everyone is constantly processing their feelings in therapy-speak just isn’t that interesting to me.
I’m happy we got to see one of those rare moments when there’s Dupree on Dupree friction, this time with Nicole and dimwit Chelsea — although obviously it was shut down quickly.
As for Rowena, I’ve always assumed her absence is an inside joke. I think they deliberately keep mentioning her while never showing her, partly because of the optics: presumably, actually showing the Duprees employing a Black maid might create an image the show would rather avoid. There’s really no easy way around it.
(I agree with those saying Jan could have been their housekeeper instead but Jan is such an oddly specific character—a blonde, white Jewish housekeeper. I honestly can’t remember seeing a character quite like that on another show, let alone encountering that particular combination in real life)
Anyway, this thing about Rowena is just my interpretation, and I could be completely wrong. For example, whenever Hayley and Randy used to have their secret meetings at Uptown, I assumed the writers were asking us to suspend our disbelief and cut them some slack because they simply didn’t have enough sets available. Then one day Bill actually caught Hayley and Randy at Uptown, which confirmed that, yes, the writers genuinely intended for these two people to hold their secret meetings in plain sight at a place Bill regularly frequents. 😐
By
Aback ·
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.