January 15-19, 2007

R!ck

• Members

So I take it that ABC's efforts at resucitating their lineup have been pretty much exclusively focused on GH, which was the best off to begin with (ratings-wise, not nec. quality-wise).

I agree that GH is going to soar into the 3s during sweeps.

Does anyone at ABC care about AMC? It's going to tank during sweeps again and that means even more cast cuts.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was in love with Hogan's ATWT—at the beginning. However, he is only as good as the people around him, but I believe Meg Kelly and Beth Milstein (along with a number of other new writers) have been pretty strong so far.

• Members

Tell me about it.

Steve is right though. A good deal of fans still don't trust in it. You go to some other boards and some still aren't happy and are finding things wrong left and right. No one is saying Days is perfect but to be stuck in 2.6-2.7 is not a reflection of how good they are.

Let's remember, though, that the show was stuck in a rut between 2.4-2.6 during Hogan's first few months. It was only in December when he finally broke through and now has held on to that 2.7 and place in the top 5 ever since. I think that is an accomplishment. Eventually, you can build the numbers. Small increases are good because you are much more likely to hold those numbers. I wish Days were higher but I can also look at the numbers and think positive because they are up vs where they were in the first two months of Hogan's reign and the demos are better too. It's a marathon not a sprint and, hopefully, Days can move itself to the next level ratings-wise during sweeps and get into the 2.8-3.0 range. Then they can go from there.

I knew all the soaps would have high numbers on Monday. Last year, they all spiked as well. I remember Y&R had like a 4.5 and Days had a 3.5 on MLK day. I am happy they all got similar numbers ofr those days. It proves if people are home there is still an audience. It's not like in the summer when people are home but doing things outdoors and all. People have to stay inside in most parts of the country so they had to watch something and soaps benefitted from that. Hopefully, they picked up some viewers but they didn't last year from the holiday so we'll see. The other worry is all or most soaps usually drop the week after MLK day as most colleges are back home and the last remnants of the holidays are over. We'll see but, if that does happen, the soaps that maintain their numbers or increase will be in good shape for sweeps.

I feel bad for Passions but I shouldn't for the crap they fed the fans for the last year and a half to get their ratings stuck in a rut.. I remember last year they picked up a 2.3 or something on MLK day. At least they hit a 2.0 for that day and went up for the week. Congrats to all soaps. I am not that big on GH and Y&R right now but GH is a bit better and soaps need all the help they can get so I am glad to see some positive numbers.

• Members

PR is right about Days holding on and that is a good thing.

I think it has been several weeks now that they have even hit as low as 2.4 for a daily. For a long time that was the normal weekly average. So 2.7 is a good thing esp. in a week where they did get that 2.4 daily.

I am still trying to find out what could have happened that day to cause so many people to tune out. The number had not been as good as Monday but they were in the high 2.7's and then on Thursday they drop all the way to 2.4. Were the previews for that day so bad? Were the day to days that bad that many didn't bother to tune or read the spoilers and they were that bad?

I didn't get to see the show that day at all. It was the only day I missed last week. Not by intention I missed all my shows that day except Y&R.

• Members

I beleive Thursday on Days was the slowest day of the week.

It was Stephanie's last episode and she was saying goodbye to Kayla, Steve had another episode and asked Bo to let him go to Mexico to find EJ, it was EJ's first day back as he called Sami, and Sami told Lucas and Roman that EJ called her. It was an ok episode but probably was the slowest and least eventful of the week. I guess I can see why it got the lowest number for the week. Plus, Belle/Shawn/Philip was off that day and that is the big story that seems to be holding the numbers right now.

That is all I can remember. I don't think I missed something, though.

• Members

Exactly and, since it's winter, there may have been bad weather in most of the country to keep people inside to watch something. In the summer, people are home but are outdoors or on vacation and such. During the holidays and weeks after, people are vusy. MLK day is a day where alot isn't going on and alot of people just take it easy. Bad weather can also help keep them in and I think that is why the numbers for MLK day are always pretty high.

• Members

You would have thought that the Steve fan base and the EJ fan base might have been enough to keep it up. I know that not everyone sees those spoilers and all but with day to days and the spoilers most of the time you know who is going to be on. It just seems like a lot of people would have tuned in to see EJ's first day back.

• Members

I would think so too, Steve, but who knows. EJ was only in like 2-3 scenes that day and the second half of the show was a bit slow. That or maybe people looked at the day to day spoilers and saw that there wasn't a whole lot of dramatic movement (there was story movement but nothing huge) and decided not to tune in. We always see really good episodes for some soaps get bad daily numbers so it happens. This was an ok episode but nothing special in a week that was all together a really good week.

• Members

Although I am not big on GH, its good to see soaps do so well for once. I think GL just may get a 2.5 for this current week, so it will be interesting to see where AMC and ATWT are as well.

As I say almost every week these ratings don't really reflect just how many people are watching soaps. Just take the MLK holiday for example, look at the jump for each soap on Monday. Then my other point is the lift the soaps are getting because of DVR/VCR. Its a VERY small sample, but you can tell with that small sample people today tape or DVR there soaps. I only watch DAYS and catch it live maybe once or twice a week and my VCR does the rest. I know many others are like I am and just wish there was a more accurate way to get these ratings because I don't want soaps to disappear. DAYS seems to get the biggest lift each week, but Y&R, GH, and AMC arent far behind. All soaps would get a jump if more DVR/VCR were counted, especially the 4 soaps I mentioned.

Also looking at DAYS ratings for years now it seems Thursday is almost always the lowest rated show of the week and I wonder why that is. The last few weeks that actually wasnt the case, but when DAYS has a big drop off like it did last week its almost always Thursday which I find interesting.

And getting in on the DAYS ratings discussion, I think Andre and SteveFrame are dead on about DAYS fans being screwed so many times in the past. Its going to take more than just a few months of good storytelling to get them to come back, if they do come back. Hogan and Co. should do something HUGE for February sweeps and see what happens. I want a huge event to go down and wish DAYS would put some money into the show and go all out and just see what the numbers do, but I am not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Archived