Why Has Y&R Been #1? Suprised? Disappointed? Jealous? Angry?

• Members

yes it does but I dont understand all the complaint like people have stopped watching it or will. Me personally Y&R has it days. I have no major complaints but i think it is moving too slow. I wish they would kinda speed up the carmen mesta murder up and from the spoilers i read it appears they are taking a childish route with the storyline. I tape Y&R and Days on my DVR and I am only at the 12/28 eppy so yes I am behind. But latley I been enjoyig Days latley.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once Y&R tumbles in the ratings the rest of the CBS soaps will follow. Y&R is the only reason the other three shows has the ratings it has. B&B is crap right now!!!!

Daytime soaps HAS DONE EVERY IMAGINABLE THING EVER TO BE DOWN. but yet they hire and re hire all the time. Stop being scary, and get bold, go outside the indusrty, a la Hogan Sheffer( which I loves his writing on Days but there are flaws). Bring new breath in daytime. We want Freshenss, something that will ooh and awe us.

I wish some of them PTB come on net and see all the fan fics on here. There is a lot more creativity on here.

• Members

Y&R is no oldie. Its a pure classic, well at least it used to be. The boat is rocking and the changes are not done so we will see when the dust settles. But I enjoy it BUT I have never have had to FF through any moment of Y&R but now I FF all of the Philly scenes. I prayed that Sharon and Nick could have been trapped in that ice storm and they gave into pssions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Y&R can mantain a stronger hold with the #1 position if they make changes in their writing team. LM Latham is a very capable head writer, but as with all daytime dramas, the writing process is a team effort. The more experienced, diverse, creative writers on the team, the better it will be for Y&R to stay at #1 until it's the last daytime drama standing. And yes, Y&R will be the last American daytime drama on the air.

LM Latham, J. Griffith, S. Hamner or EJ Scott should be in contact with Miriam Trogdon, Jeffrey Bell & Vanessa Taylor. Those 3 writers would be great additions to the Y&R writing team. I still don't know who would best fit the position of Co-Head Writer on Y&R. Hamner just doesn't cut it.

King: "Put me on the list of people who think Y&R will be down with the rest of the pack in 2-3 years." That won't happen. Y&R gets about 2 million more viewers than the next highest rated show, B&B. Y&R's highest rated ep in 2006 got about 6.4 million viewers. You'd also have to factor in the SOAPnet ratings, those watching outside of the home (colleges, offices etc) & those not watching it live (recored on tape/disc). With that taken into account, Y&R's highest rated ep of 2006 got about a million more, at least 7.4 million viewers. I wouldn't be surprised if it topped the 8 million mark. All other 8 dramas reached record low ratings in 2006. GH viewers/fans should never forget October 11/06. GH's lowest rated ep was on that day with 2.4 million viewers. :o:(

bellcurve: "When Y&R declines, ALL OF DAYTIME DECLINES." That's the only thing yo'uve posted that I agree with.

bellcurve: "Would love to see Y&R get serious Nielsen Competiton" I would love for GH to air at 12:30pm et/11:30am c & at 7pm et/6pm c on all ABC affiliates from Mon-Fri. Then at 11pm et on SOAPnet from Mon-Fri.

bellcurve: "I'd like to see Y&R get trumped by another soap" R U INSANE? :blink::angry: B&B or ATWT in the #1 spot? HELL NO!

bellcurve: "I don't think any soap will be able to defeat Y&R (neither in ratings nor press) unless it's a new soap that drastically thinks outside of the box everyone is obsessed with. Would probably have to air either on FOX or in cable." You are so wrong! PSN was the last American daytime drama to debut. The broadcast nets will never create a new daytime drama, the audience just isn't there. How apropos that PSN was the last one to debut, the lowest rated one, the most critically panned one & it's been cancelled! :lol::D:)

• Members

I think the real deal is that people watch Y&R out of habit and out of not wanting to be in the know. Because a lot of the people I know have been saying how terrible and silly it is becoming but they still watch. I personally think Y&R is turning into crap when it used to be so high on the list, but I'll still tune in out of habit and not wanting to not know what is going on when people I know say "Did you see what happened?" Then I'll tune in and think, "oh, its still crap" and turn it back off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What has been the key to THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS being America's most watched daytime drama for nearly 20 years? Possible Reasons: 3. Appeal to Black people; 4. Storylines/Writing; 5. Acting; 7. Critical acclaim/buzz (reviews, awards, mainstream media attention); 8. Maintained identity; 12. Long-term vision in place; 13. Balance among cast

I really wish that LM Latham, S. Hamner, J. Griffith, B. Bell Jr., S. Kent & B. Bloom would focus more of their attention on the above 7 main reasons as to why Y&R has been America's most watched daytime drama since 1989. It has the most potential out of the 9 dramas.

Y&R Wish List

Writing Team: Head Writer: Lynn Marie Latham; Co-Head Writer: ?????; Associate Head Writers: Miriam Trogdon, Josh Reims, Paula Cwikly, Natalie Minardi Slater, Janice Ferri Esser, Scott Hamner; Breakdown Writers: [s.W.S.N.B.N.], Dana Baratta, Jeffrey Bell, Patty Lin, James Stanley, Sara A. Bibel, Lynsey Dufour, Chris Abbott, Diane Messina Stanley, Joan Binder Weiss; Script Writers: Josh Griffith, Eric Freiwald, Sibyl Gardner, Vanessa Taylor, David Schulner, Michael Berns, Cherie Bennett, Jeff Gottesfeld, Sandra Weintraub, Linda Schreiber, Joshua S. McCaffrey, [s.W.S.N.B.N.], Sara A. Bibel; Script Supervisor: Marina Alburger; Story Coordinator: Michael Montgomery; Story/Script Editor: ?????; Story Consultant: Natalie Y. Moore, Algernon Austin, Alfonso H. Moreno, Valerie Woods or Shaun Cassidy; Creative Consultant: Nancy Bradley Wiard or Matt Reeves; Writer's Assistant: Corey Marsh

Producing Team: John Fisher, Josh O'Connell, Matthew J. Olson, Josh Griffith, Peter Frisch

Executive Producer: 1st Choice: Edward J. Scott; 2nd Choice: Lynn Marie Latham; 3rd Choice: David Shaughnessy

Archived