Serial Titles (Daytime/Primetime): Which Titles Are Better?

• Members

I would put serial titles into three categories:

1. Single Words

Dynasty, Titans, Passions, Generations, Loving, Metropia

2. People Or Locations

General Hospital, ER, The Colbys, Emmerdale, Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives, Dallas, Knot's Landing, Somerset, Coronation Street, EastEnders, Pasadena, The Archers, Return to Peyton Place, Santa Barbara, Hollyoaks, Ma Perkins, Paradise Falls

3. Metaphors

The Young And The Restless, Search For Tomorrow, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, As The World Turns, All My Children, Another World, The First Hundred Years, One Life To Live, The Edge Of Night, Dark Shadows

If you were pitching a serial title to the network executives, Leslie Moonves/Nancy Tellem/Barbara Bloom/Richard Mensing Jr. (CBS), Stephen McPherson/Brian Frons (ABC), or Kevin Reilly/Annamarie Kostura/Tom Alfieri (NBC), what would it be? Single Word? People/Locations? Metaphors? I'd use…..

Category: Metaphor

Show Title: Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow

Naming a serial after a person or place may not be a good idea because the focus of that show may change. That's what happened to Ryan's Hope and it was dubbed by some as Kirkland's Folly because of the lack of focus on the Ryan family. Some may think that the safest bet is the use of a location but I feel that those titles are the blandest. They lack originality and are uninspiring (Dallas, anyone?)

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived