Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

This is not good news at all for PASSIONS!!

With the 4th hour of the TODAY SHOW confirmed now, it seems like PASSIONS will most likely not make it.

However, the article DOES sounds like NBC does not WANT to cancel PASSIONS and is trying to convince the affiliates to give them an hour back, without getting an hour back in return.

Who knows, perhaps the affiliates MIGHT give them the hour back on condition of solid ratings, which might buy PASSIONS a year or half a year.

Oh well lets hope for the best, lets hope NBC does not have to give the affiliates the 2PM timeslot!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations, in your quest to bash "Passions" you neglected to place blame on the RIGHFTUL shoulders of THE NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY.

NBC is to blame.

Why?

The net GAVE "Days" the chance it needed to rebound in the ratings -- first by JER's second run, and then by Hogan.

In order to be fair and TRULY give "Passions" the shot of reaching its potential, the net MUST fire James E. Reilly to see just how awesome and profitable the show can be.

• Members

At first I thought you were crazy when I read this post, but then I read that last line and realized, "disgruntled AW fan...makes sense."

"Passions" does NOT have just one good actor.

Let's see...

Lindsay Korman Hartley

Juliet Mills

Ben Masters

Kim Johnston Ulrich

Liza Huber

(Guy who plays Spike -- he does it really well)

(Girl who plays Simone)

Emily Harper

Andrea Evans

And I'm sure there are many, many more.

Let's bash "Passions," if we must, for REAL reasons, and NOT falsehoods like bad acting. Also, who knows if it's the acting or the writing? Some actors, like Evans, try even when their material isn't the best, and some actors just don't. They find it hard to reach motivation.

• Members

Ummm...where did I bash Passions? :huh: I said JER writing was bad. I didnt say the show sucked. Learn how to read! :P:lol: And NBC is not at fault. If Passions ratings were higher it wouldnt be in trouble. If you want to blame someone for the cancellation of Passions look at its head writer. ;)

• Members

First of all, do NOT call me crazy because my opinion differs from yours. And for the record, I am not just a disgruntled AW fan. I just know mediocrity when I see it. Passions never was and never will be a soap. It is an acid trip that makes Showgirls look like Shakespeare. It's about damn time that the network brass is cutting its losses. The show has been at the bottom of ratings for EIGHT years without any hope of eclipsing other more worthy shows. I say shoot it like the lame dog it is and put it out of its misery.

• Members

Sorry if I mischaracterized your comments, Soapsuds. I'm literally posting on SON, eating dinner and watching "7th Heaven" at the same time, lol. I'm a multi-tasker. Anyway, I still disagree that a PROPOSED (not official, thank God) cancellation of "Passions" is all JER's fault. The net MUST fire JER and renew the show another year or I'll blame the net. FOREVER. And yes, my quest to bring NBC to its knees through prayer will begin. And sorry, but in a battle of God vs. NBC, that cancel-happy net won't win. :lol:

• Members

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood ...omg! Ruthie just said she has condoms on "7th Heaven"!!! WHOA -- okay, sorry. Yeah, I've just been in a bad mood and have been seeing red over the "Passions" cancellation rumors. It makes me livid. Anyway, the thing some people don't understand about the show is that it's not supposed to be a traditional soap; it's a "soap send-up" or parody. IT has traditional soap elements but it also has quirky cartoon violence and campy entertainment. And sorry, but the reason the show was renewed for so many years was that its ratings were, by contemporary standards, GOOD. It consistently scored the 2's that "Sunset Beach" could never get on such a continuous basis. The show has been the bottom of ratings, yes (and it consistently topped "Port Charles" for a time, there, so it wasn't always bottom of the ratings), but that didn't mean it had less-than-respectable ratings for so long.

As for the last sentence, I say give "passions" the chance that "Days" was given. Fire the writer, renew, and give it a REAL shot of success. JER is clearly burnt out. Either that or he has a vendetta and, like I said, wants bragging rights for the fall of the entire daytime soap opera genre. Either way, he SHOULDN'T be writing this show.

• Members

I agree NBC would love to have it both ways. There isn't a chance in hell affiliates will give NBC a chance to improve "Passions" ratings. Every affiliate program director would tell NBC to shove it. They played the game, NBC airs three hours of "Today" and two hours of soap operas, affilates get the rest. In the cut throat world of broadcast television, in a climate when network affiliates don't just complete with each other but the 100's of cable channels every timeslot an affiliate gets is PRECIOUS TIME FOR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ there is nothing more precious to an affiliate than a timeslot, the article made that clear. With that said, I see it very hard for "Passions" to get renewed.

• Members

One thing you and I CAN agree on is that JERk is a hack and that he shouldn't have free reign over Hee Haw let alone Passions :lol: I apologize for getting a little angry in my last post. Obviously this is an issue that is divisive and not every argument or statement will be sunshine and lollipops.

• Members

Why does everyone keep saying that NBC should just fire JER? It cannot happen. He created the show. NBC can cancel the show, but they can't fire JER from his own product. People cannot blame NBC for not firing Reilly instead of just cancelling it. He's seen to it that he can never be fired from his own show.

So, either he straightens his act up, or they'll be forced to cancel. Sounds to me like they gave him the warning MONTHS ago... he didn't listen. What else can the network do?

Archived