Days: Rumor of 2 cast firings

• Members

I would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to try that again. Corday and company are still trying to rebuild the trust of the viewers they alienated during the SSK storyline. The only 'kid' to be offed was Cassie. They cut down the vets one by one. Would they REALLY risk alienating the people who stuck around? My guess is that it would be Abe who would go, but the big four will remain in place. I'd be sad but not outraged if Abe left, personally.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hasn't DAYS saved enough money with Jones, Brandt, Ashford, Reeves, Warlock, Hutzler, Cook, Rose, Clark, Peck and possibly RO and Fath gone from the show. I am already pissed about Jones and Clark being let go, I shouldnt have to endure another loss damnit. I know DAYS has added a few new characters and recasts but they couldnt be that expensive. Right now I don't like where DAYS is headed and I am not sure the return of Stefano or Kristen Dimera would make me feel that much better, especially if Koslow, Alfonso, Reckell, Hall, Hogestyn, or Pinson is fired to make room for them.

Why is Josh Taylor still with the show?

• Members

SOW have an article on the Jones/Rose firings. Their sources claim the original plan was to kill off Lexie but there is now talk of recasting the role. Rose was fired because there's no story for her character. They say they won't be recasting straight away.

They say "at least 3 more actors" are on their way out, with Rhasson Orange rumoured to be one of them.

I'm finding these cuts increasingly difficult to understand. If budget cuts were the reason for Jones's firing, why recast the role? Why not just ask her to take a pay cut?

• Members

Just a guess on my part, but maybe the show can't ask Renee Jones to take a big enough pay cut that they want. In other words, RJ is most likely a member of the actors' union. She has spent over 10 years at Days and has put the time in (tenure) to get certain financial package. The actor's union would probably prevent her (even if she wanted to) from negotiating a salary that was below what other actors who have the same tenure (over 10 years) would get. Just think of the incentive all shows would have if the union allowed Days to have that exception. TPTB at all the soaps would threaten to fire someone unless they accepted less money for a role. If the show did ask the union to make an exception for RJ, it would go through a long, arduous contractual/arbitration process. The show probably figures that it would be easier and less time-consuming to find someone less expensive to replace RJ than negotiate a new contract that met union requirements. The cut off point for veterans is 10 years. They're going to want to replace her with someone with less than 10 years experience, maybe less than 2-5 years experience, since it's a budget issue....

• Members

I was shocked that DAYS fired Renée Jones as Lexie. It was stupid as hell for them to do so. There are more people that could've gone instead-----Judi Evans(Bonnie), Frank Parker(Grandpa Shawn) & Rachel Melvin(Chelsea) or even Ashley Benson(Abby). I'm glad DAYS is re-thinking killing Lexie off, but it's a shame that they're gonna end up re-casting Lexie when the wonderful Renée Jones is being fired. I'd rather have Lexie re-cast than killed off, but Jones should re-main. Who'd be the new Lexie?! At the top of my head, I think maybe Marie-Alise Recasner (ex-Ellen Burgess, PC) or Vanita Harbour(ex-Dara Jensen, GH), maybe Amelia Marshall (ex-Liz, PASSIONS, ex-Belinda, AMC). Amelia would be my pick of these 3.

• Members

Sorry, but I will. Why? Well, this is UNPRECEDENTED. Renee is a DARN good actress, as far as we know she hasn't cause problems backstage, there is no scandal surrounding her, no bad PR, no sex tape...there's NO reason for "Days" to fire her. And fire her just to recast the character. It's almost a form of agism. Because her age, time on the show, dictates her pay. So, again, Renee is PHENOMENAL and they fire her JUST to recast her. Why? Remember: it's all about MONEY. Not character importance or acting abilities. If you have shrewd business practices like "Days" clearly has, then yes, Marls and Hope COULD be next. anyone ready for Kam Heskin to play Marlena? Anyone? How about Priscilla Garita playing Hope? It COULD happen!! :o

• Members

But that's the thing, Phoenix. We DON'T know they won't do that. This ain't the glorious '90s. Ratings are low, production costs are high, NBC pays far less for the show. It's all about 'da Benjamins,' as the saying goes. THe firing of Renee Jones, JUST to recast her character with a cheaper actress, is probably unprecedented and, without a doubt, the coldest firing I have EVER seen for a daytime soap. Because it's NOT storyline dictated. It's nothing. It's a greedy decision. To keep the show on the air, the show may have to make other greedy decisions...why shouldn't we believe Marls or Hope could be next? Once again, make no mistake, the show IS testing the waters with this Lexie thing. Even if that's not their intention, no way will they not 'learn' something from this experience. And don't be suprised if you disagree with the future casting decisions they base on that lesson.

• Members

Yes we do know because Hope and Marlena are major characters. Lexie was supporting. Hope and Marlena have big fanbases. Corday, Days, and NBC know that. They would never recast them. Not going to happen. Same goes for Bo, John, Steve, Kayla, and Sami. They would never recast them. Those characters are owned by those actors.

The article mentioned rumors that they may recast. I beleive that means if it happens it will down the road. I don't think they meant right away. How can they be testing the waters JSF when they haven't even decided what to do yet? That article said they thought about killing her and now are tossing the recast idea around. It didn't say it was happening. In fact, it was only an idea and not so much a rumor as I am reading the article now. Let's not jump to conclusions because nothing has even suggested a recast. In fact, all signs still point to Lexie being called off. We'll but Days would do recasts of any of the characters I have listed. That is not just my opinion. That is a fact. They would get rid of the characters entirely but no way would anyone fill the role in any of their places.

• Members
If they really wanna tank the show they will do as you say... but they wont. As 'Phoenix' said... not happening, this is DAYS not Passions. You can't actually compare Lexie with Hope and Marlena. You say you are comparing them anyway, I guess we havn't been watching the same show. But then again you're a Passions fan. ;) Yes Renee has been around for a while but there's not nearly a big fan group for her like there is for as Hope/Kristian and Marlena/Deidre. There's been some storys with L, but she was never a big character.

I feel bad for Reene, I do. It's a shame how it happend. But I sure can live without Lexie on the show.

darraholic It's about what character is better. It's about how big and popular the character is. And Marlena is by far more popular then Lexie. I'm not a fan of hers at all, but she got a huge fanbase, and that's a fact. ;)

Archived