Classic Film Star Glenn Ford Dead at 90

Matt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you saw Superman Returns this summer, you saw Glenn Ford. He played Jonathan Kent in the original Superman: the Movie and his picture was used as Jonathan Kent in Returns. Also, if you've seen the classic '80's slasher flick "Happy Birthday to Me", he played Melissa Sue Anderson's doctor. He's best known for a long string of feature films from the 1940s to 1960s, most notibly "Gilda" with Rita Hayworth and "Blackboard Jungle".

• Members

Glenn Ford was one of my all time favorite actors. My husband, who is the same age as I am. and I grew up in the generation that made him a huge box-office success. We watched every movie he was in just because he was in it. He had one of those faces that just made you believe in him. Also, his voice was a one-of-a-kind voice. We were just watching a movie, The Money Trap, with him the other night and talking about how much we enjoyed seeing him. He will definitely be held in fond memory.

• Members

I have a special affection for Ford, myself. My websoap, For Now & Forever, was set in the 1930s and, unlike a lot of websoaps that cast soap actors, I used pictures of classic film stars to visually represent my various characters. I used Ford to represent one of my key characters. As a result, I read up quite a bit on Ford as well as other performers of the era (30s/40s) and developed quite a love for all of them. He was extremely talented, charismatic, and will be missed.

Archived