DAYS: Stefano vs Victor

• Members

Stefano Dimera and Victor Kiriakis (in the 80s) were two of DAYS' biggest villains in their heyday.

If you were to pit these two against each other in a storyline (at their absolute worst, not the cobbled down versions we see today), who would come out on top?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back then? Victor. Only because Victor had grit to him and was believable. Stefano became a cartoon character thanks to JER and someone just needed to drop an anvil on his head to stop him. 

Nowadays, neither. Both of them need to sit down and be happy they aren't put out to pasture. Especially Stefano. I still feel like they should kill Stefano off as they've gotten all the milage out of him and the Dimera clan. Bring in a new villainous clan. 

• Members

Days made the mistake of hanging on to these gents way beyond their use by dates as serious threats.

At any rate the 1980's approach of not punishing villians also contributed to them losing effectiveness - why would viewers really care if they knew those guys would be back mixing it up with people they tried to ruin (or worse)?

They should have nurtured the next generation of both those families more carefully...

• Members

Yes. Make most people of comfortable means, but not extravagant. I've also always thought it was a mistake that soaps made put so many characters in the law enforcement profession. An odd Ed Hall here and there sure, but having a significant portion of the cast with these professions takes away so many story possibilities.

As for Ernesto Toscano, he was about as scary as The Wizard of Oz.

• Members

True but we live in a world where we love sensationalism. Subtle storytelling wouldn't go over well nowadays. 

I don't mind a villainous family or a pariah but give them boundaries. When I look at old clips of Roger Thorpe, he had boundaries. Alan Spaulding had boundaries. John Dixon had boundaries. Jake McKinnon had boundaries. 

None of them have boundaries nowadays. None of them are remorseful for their actions. None of them pay for their actions in some sort or fashion. They don't even have Achilles heels nowadays. Look at Victor. Adam. Bill. Stefano. Sonny. They all lack boundaries and shades of gray. They're all too dark and one note for my taste. None of them have layers. None of them possess human characteristics ... until sweeps. :rolleyes:

• Members

In the 1980s, Victor. In the 1990s, Stefano.

I'm watching a lot of DAYS on YouTube and it's just beyond ridiculous Stefano hasn't been killed off for good by ... 10-15 years ago. The s--t that character has done and the characters now just seem amused by it, like "Oh Stefano, you silly non-kill-able boy."

True dat. He was a lover scorned turned angry magician. Meh.

• Members

Watching some episodes from late 1988, it looked like Days was aiming for a Victor-Stefano feud, or possibly a three-way feud with Victor, Stefano and the ISA.

Stefano and Victor never fully interacted, but leading up to the Island finale there are scenes in which Victor is using Shane (who thinks he's using Victor) to get nearer to Stefano. Unfortunately, it never progressed beyond that.

Archived