Watching on Hulu/iTunes reactions

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gotten all of this week's episodes on iTunes, and I just ended up getting the multi-pass for AMC. I like that the episodes are downloaded and I don't have to worry about buffering. HD vs. SD quality really doesn't matter to me, but I may end up just going with Hulu and buying episodes I particularly enjoy on iTunes. Kinda like creating my own DVD box sets -- the first 20 episodes, and then my own personal "best of" collection that I can save on flash drives or something.

• Members

I like watching on hulu, I didn't think I would. I actually think it feels better than how it was on ABC, I can deal with ad breaks, cause they don't last long compared to ten minutes of commercials like every 15 minutes on network tv.

Plus the quality is amazing, much better than even when it was in HD on ABC

• Members

I've been watching other programs on Hulu for over a year now so the transition has been seamless for me. The show looks great, I get the HD experience and I've only had 1 or 2 issues but those have to do with my Internet Service Provider (ISP) and my Internet connection.

• Members

iTunes is wonderful this is my first experience with iTunes there is no commercial ,and I get both shows at 2 am .

I don't have to wait to five like I do with hulu plus .

I am use to Netflix .

• Members

What I do think is different is now watching the show is a very solitary experience. "I have to watch live" is sort of like having to see Star Wars VII the opening night--it just doesn't sit right knowing someone else saw it and you didn't. Now there is no longer such a thing as watching it knowing that at that very moment everyone else is watching it too. It is sort of like live radio sort of keeps you company with the DJs and the subliminal knowledge of it being now, but Pandora radio doesn't. Hard to explain exactly.

• Members

There's quite a few people who pounce on eps as soon as they are released so if you stay up overnight, you can still get that "watch live" buzz. But I know what you mean.

Personally I have been watching hulu for DAYS, GH, and Coronation Street already, so it doesn't feel different to me.

• Members

I mean, who knows what it will be like in a month but yeah, there's been 'live' threads pretty much every day if you're up early enough. I couldn't believe the other day, AMC had like 6 pages before 5am LOL.

I probably won't have time every morning (some days I have to be to work by 6am, other days 9am). I ended up being very lucky that my job can read my mind and pretty much gave me the entire week off LOL. TOTAL coincidence -- overall -- but it worked out excellent.

I can watch HuluPlus on my TV so it doesn't feel all that different to me and I personally LOVE waking up to new episodes. I've also started watching GH and DAYS on Hulu (only can watch those on my computer) and am really getting more and more comfortable using Hulu as a "DVR" of sorts to watch almost anything current I want to. I'm becoming more comfortable and can't wait to dump my satellite (I'll use over the air antenna for locals channels and streaming for other shows).

Oh, also was watching B&B on my computer as well but CBS.com's video service seems to royally suck so I don't keep up with it a lot. I do think I might thought after reading the reaction to this last week.

• Members

I'm in Canada, and have access to neither Hulu nor FX Canada, so I have been unable to watch my favorite shows. The first episodes were uploaded to youtube, but quickly deleted before I had the chance to see them. If anyone else is in the same position, and has any ideas for a desperate and disappointed would-be viewer (LOL), please send me a PM. Thanks.

• Members

I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but have people read this New York Times article yet by a non-viewer who was trying out the shows on Hulu? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/04/arts/television/all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live-on-hulu-and-itunes.html?_r=0

Dripping with condescension. Horrible article.

Is any show going to be something you get after 25 minutes? Good grief. I feel like yes, they could have done more to explain things to new viewers, sure, but this whole "the writing/acting sucks" thing is so stereotypical, especially when it's so undifferentiated and just made as a blanket statement.

And the whole he was one of the millions before who wasn't watching because they had jobs -- I mean yeah, I can see that being just an objective statement, but it can also be taken as an insult to soap fans.

vetsoapfan, good luck figuring something out! Maybe you can get family or friends you may have who live elsewhere in Canada to tape it for you off of FX Canada. It's unfortunate for our international friends that TOLN pretty much has to clamp down on YouTube piracy at this point to get these shows off the ground.

• Members

I'm not in Canada, but I've seen a couple of Canadians on the FB page mention that they are using something called Hotspot Shield. It's a free download that's supposed to hide your IP address, or in this case, change it into a US one so sites like Hulu think you're accessing from the US. I did some googling and found this:

http://www.hotspotshield.com/en

I don't know what the limits are as far as usage and whether you might have to purchase the full-on version to watch the soaps regularly but it might be something worth checking out. Hope it works for you!

• Members

That article reeks of someone cranking out a piece to meet deadline.

"When I watched the first show they were talking about people and events I didn't know!" Unlike all the other times you watched the first episode of a show and instantly knew everything. You know going in that there's plenty of backstory, you need to accept that as part of experience.

That said, these shows have to walk a fine line between appealing to old viewers and being accessible to new ones. As long as both sides are bitching IMO they're doing alright.

Archived