Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Characters That Were Re/Cast with Perfect Actor, But Fizzled or Flopped

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

I agree with this. This was back in the day when DH was still Roman. Plus, I'd been a Luke and Laura fan yet I found her very appealing as a more grown-up, professional character like Diana as opposed to just Luke's other half. I still have some Roman/Diana stuff on tape. Didn't the return of Deirdre Hall/Marlena basically mean Diana/Roman were doomed?

I would also say Mary Beth Evans as Katherine on GH. Despite her fairly long tenure on the show (around 5 years or so) and MBE's ability to pull off comedy, bitchiness, compassion, etc., the character of Katherine never seemed to be written as the focal point of any story. She was always an appendage to another character...Damian's partner, Lucy's rival, Mac's girlfriend, Stefan's latest obsession. She was just there to be somebody else's foil, or to react to someone else and she didn't have any family connections of her own. I mean, I had loved MBE on Days but there were plenty of times on GH when Katherine was in a scene and I just wondered what she was doing there.

Katherine was something of a mess of a character. I don't think they ever had an early idea for her beyond, "Kayla will be a bitch, that will get us some attention," and the later attempts to tame her were not believable. I thought MBE did a great job, considering.

Genie left a year or so before Deirdre's return. Supposedly she wasn't happy with the role. 

#82 SoapSurvivor

SoapSurvivor

Recurring

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Katherine was something of a mess of a character. I don't think they ever had an early idea for her beyond, "Kayla will be a bitch, that will get us some attention," and the later attempts to tame her were not believable. I thought MBE did a great job, considering.

Genie left a year or so before Deirdre's return. Supposedly she wasn't happy with the role. 

Do you think if Genie would have stayed would she have been turned into an evil villian to prop Roman and Marlena lol...

#83 applcin

applcin

Contract

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Really, it was that long? All I remember is something about Diana and Roman in a museum, Diana being wrapped up in a carpet and that it was hinted at the time that it was the start of a story of something to possibly do with Marlena. Oh well, I watched DOOL during a Marlena-free period (the late 80s, very early 90s). I just remember thinking, crap, they're bringing back Marlena to mess up Roman and Diana.

Edited by applcin, 14 February 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#84 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Katherine had some family. Wasn't she Dominique's sister? I guess that wouldn't really make much of a difference though since Dominique was dead by the time she showed up.

I liked her at time, but I can see how she'd be seen as flop now. Her and Lucy's rivalry was great.

She came on after Dominique was dead. She had no family during her tenure on GH. PC did introduce some relatives, her uncle Rex and sister Danielle (in addition to Serena), but I don't believe Katherine ever interacted with them

Edited by Cheap21, 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#85 IcyOne

IcyOne

Recurring

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Bruce Michael Hall as Joey Buchanan.  He was fine; it was Malone's stupid idea of making Joey a curate that shot his potential to hell.  

#86 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Bruce Michael Hall as Joey Buchanan.  He was fine; it was Malone's stupid idea of making Joey a curate that shot his potential to hell.  

i thought he was too young to be Joey. He looked the same age as his younger sisters and putting him with Jen and in a triangle with even younger Rex didnt help. He was just wrong for Joey

#87 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 52,518 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Really, it was that long? All I remember is something about Diana and Roman in a museum, Diana being wrapped up in a carpet and that it was hinted at the time that it was the start of a story of something to possibly do with Marlena. Oh well, I watched DOOL during a Marlena-free period (the late 80s, very early 90s). I just remember thinking, crap, they're bringing back Marlena to mess up Roman and Diana.

I haven't watched enough of that time to tell you, but I think Roman was already well into a relationship with Isabella when Marlena arrived.

i thought he was too young to be Joey. He looked the same age as his younger sisters and putting him with Jen and in a triangle with even younger Rex didnt help. He was just wrong for Joey

For once the age issue didn't bother me. I thought BMH had the heart which Joey needed, and I hated that the show pissed it away.

#88 applcin

applcin

Contract

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I haven't watched enough of that time to tell you, but I think Roman was already well into a relationship with Isabella when Marlena arrived.

Ah...okay, I think then they were probably teasing the idea of Marlena returning from the dead to stir up Roman and Diana but it didn't happen at that time.

Re, MBE on GH. I wanted to enjoy her, having loved her on DOOL. But I just could not get into the Katherine Bell character. She just always felt like a secondary person in someone else's storyline or scene. There were no living, breathing, family connections for her on the show and her attachments were always based on either her rivalry with Lucy or whoever she was sleeping with at the time.

#89 carolineg

carolineg

Recurring

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Ah...okay, I think then they were probably teasing the idea of Marlena returning from the dead to stir up Roman and Diana but it didn't happen at that time.

Re, MBE on GH. I wanted to enjoy her, having loved her on DOOL. But I just could not get into the Katherine Bell character. She just always felt like a secondary person in someone else's storyline or scene. There were no living, breathing, family connections for her on the show and her attachments were always based on either her rivalry with Lucy or whoever she was sleeping with at the time.

When DH returned as Marlena, Roman had just gotten engaged to Isabella.  There was a tease that Marlena was alive during Roman/Diana, though.  I don't know if they were in talks with DH and it fell through or what, but it was definitely hinted that Marlena was alive and well.   

#90 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Katherine had some family. Wasn't she Dominique's sister? I guess that wouldn't really make much of a difference though since Dominique was dead by the time she showed up.

I liked her at time, but I can see how she'd be seen as flop now. Her and Lucy's rivalry was great.

Katherine came on the show PRETENDING to be Dominique's sister because it meant getting a sizable inheritance. Lucy found this out, but Scott didn't believe her until the truth came out at his wedding to Katherine.

#91 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Katherine came on the show PRETENDING to be Dominique's sister because it meant getting a sizable inheritance. Lucy found this out, but Scott didn't believe her until the truth came out at his wedding to Katherine.

no Karherine came on the show claiming to be Dom's friend. She didnt learn until later that they were actually half sisters via an affair her mother had with their father, Avery Stanton

#92 JtSmarts

JtSmarts

Recurring

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, Genie left Dool in June 1989 and Deidre returned in August 1991 when RoJohn was well involved with Isabella. (Dates courtesy of Jason47's site)

When DH returned as Marlena, Roman had just gotten engaged to Isabella.  There was a tease that Marlena was alive during Roman/Diana, though.  I don't know if they were in talks with DH and it fell through or what, but it was definitely hinted that Marlena was alive and well.   

#93 IcyOne

IcyOne

Recurring

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

BMH is roughly the same age as the character, in terms of SORASing.  In real time, Joey was born in 1980 and was later aged about four years older than that.  BMH was born in 1977.  So age-wise, he was just about perfect.  

#94 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 38,449 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

BMH is roughly the same age as the character, in terms of SORASing.  In real time, Joey was born in 1980 and was later aged about four years older than that.  BMH was born in 1977.  So age-wise, he was just about perfect.  

um no. Joey came back in 2003 and there was no way he was supposed to be 27 not when Kelly and Kevin were mid 30s

#95 P.J.

P.J.

~~ATWT's Money Couple~~

• Members
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Scott Hoylrod as Paul Ryan.  The story TPTB put out was that they couldn't write a darker Paul because of SH's boyish appeal. That seems redonkulous---apparently the same TIIC that told Bailey Chase to "make it work" when he questioned Chris' attraction to Alison couldn't invision a clean cut hero with an inner darkness. REALLY? If they truly had a hard on for Howarth, they could have brought him on as ANYONE else.  GGGrrrrrrr.....

#96 IcyOne

IcyOne

Recurring

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

um no. Joey came back in 2003 and there was no way he was supposed to be 27 not when Kelly and Kevin were mid 30s

Um, yes.  During the Joey/Dorian storyline in 1994, the show made a point to say that Joey was 18.  They never aged him again after that, which means that in 2003 he was 27.  

#97 AdelaideCate007

AdelaideCate007

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

She came on after Dominique was dead. She had no family during her tenure on GH. PC did introduce some relatives, her uncle Rex and sister Danielle (in addition to Serena), but I don't believe Katherine ever interacted with them

Thanks. I couldn't remember if she came on right before Dominique died or after the fact. I don't think she ever interacted with Rex and Danielle, and I think she only interacted with Serena a couple of times.

no Karherine came on the show claiming to be Dom's friend. She didnt learn until later that they were actually half sisters via an affair her mother had with their father, Avery Stanton

Yeah, she definitely came on the show pretending to be Dominique's friend. She was tied up with Damian Smith and they were going to con Scott so they could get the money. It was when Lucy found out that wasn't true and her story started to unravel that she admitted that she was Dominique's sister.

Edited by AdelaideCate007, 14 February 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#98 Gray Bunny

Gray Bunny

Me & The Slut of Springfield

• Members
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

I liked AL as Coleen and it was disgusting how they fied her when she gained weight. after promising her a story about women loving their bodies. She gained weight via pills she had to take because of an allergy to their wardrobe!

Agreed. I really liked her in the role of Colleen.

#99 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Adrienne Leon as Colleen. I wouldn't say she fizzled or flopped but she should have lasted way longer and should still be on the show today.

Most definitely. The writing for AL's Colleen under LML was dreadful. Her Colleen was nothing like LF's Colleen, but AL did a good job making it work. It was only her ability to give Colleen a sweetness that made the character likeable through that affair with the professor. Colleen and J.T. should have gotten back together after the dust settled from that affair. I thought they were going with a "who the daddy" story since she slept with them both at the same time, but then AL was fired. To this day, I don't understand why they could not have worked with her about her weight gain which was not much anyway, but there was obviously something sleazy going on behind the scenes with LML and TS who got the role without auditioning. Sony/Y&R could not stand the bad publicity that following AL's firing, but they refused to back down and rehire her. Online fans talked about it for a long time.

Scott Hoylrod as Paul Ryan.  The story TPTB put out was that they couldn't write a darker Paul because of SH's boyish appeal.

So freaking true. SH was the best Paul. He was a talented actor who did a great job with Paul's dark side, but TPTB were lusting after RH.  RH was horrific as Paul. He took an interesting compelling character and turned him into one dimensional Paul. It showed me hat RH cannot act worth a lick.

Edited by Ann_SS, 15 February 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#100 P.J.

P.J.

~~ATWT's Money Couple~~

• Members
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

So freaking true. SH was the best Paul. He was a talented who did a great job with Paul's dark side, but TPTB were lusting after RH.  RH was horrific as Paul. He took an interesting compelling character and turned him into one dimensional Paul. It showed me hat RH cannot act worth a lick.

How do TIIC not understand for a "turn to the dark side" story to work, you MUST already be rooting for the character? Howarth was such a 180 from all the previous Pauls that it fell flat with ATWT's core audience. Hoylrod nailed it from minute one. TIIC simply stopped writing Paul with an edge (he arrived in town with one---'cause I distinctly remember him chewin' ass while Babs was in the burn unit) and added him to the list of ineffective men to prop Teacher's Pet Hunt Block.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users