Which soap was the first you taped in your VHS video recorder??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC in 1987 (or possibly 88). I was post-college and working and living on my own in an apartment. It was my first VCR and the first time I could tape my show and watch it back when I got home from work. Before that, when I was a child and teenager I could watch AMC only during the summer and holiday periods, and during college I was able to watch it live a lot of the time.

• Members

Probably GL when I was 11 or 12. I tried to think back to whether or not I had ever taped B&B before that, but I don't think so.

And then, of course, OLTL (and sometimes the end of AMC/beginning of GH wound up on there, too, LOL).

Actually, I remember my mom trying to tape OLTL for me once, and she accidentally turned on the wrong channel and taped Passions. Oops. :lol:

• Members

Of course the NBC soaps. SB, DAYS, and AW were on a timer in the beginning- since SB aired at 9AM when we first got a VCR (I personally LOVED that time slot, but then again, our Canadian station aired the next day's episode at 4 PM, so I had double the chance to catch). Anyhow, once we got our cable "box" and my parents' idiot friend screwed up our VCR to tape Wrestlemania III (NOBODY would listen to me that we already could tape off the cable box and there was no need to re-set the VCR stations), we weren't able to set the timer every day.

So we'd tape NBC all day and how much of DAYS and AW was taped depended on what time I left for school. But SB ALWAYS got taped. I remember one of the first weeks that we taped was when Eden ran into the Ocean, imitating Katie Timmons to test Victoria Lane, and Victoria finally ran in after her to save her from drowning. Couldn't WAIT to get home from school that day- both my mom and me.

• Members

In Texas, it was pretty much the same but when we moved to St. Louis was when my tape schedule became AMAZING and I was literally able to watch almost 6 hours of soaps a day.

I taped AMC from 11-12, B&B from 12:30-1, AW from 1-2 (that switched to OLTL in 94 and ATWT when Maura West debuted, then back to AW when JFP arrived), DAYS from 2-3, Pure Soap! (the talk show on E! with Shelley Taylor Morgan and Michael Logan) from 3-3:30, Y&R from 4-5, and Melrose Place repeats on E! from 5-6. It was AMAZING.

When AMC moved to 12PM, I taped the first half hour but switched to B&B at 12:30. I was HUGE into B&B and Y&R when I first discovered them. However, when Marcy Walker returned to AMC in 95 and became front-burner, I'd tape AMC's full hour on days I knew she'd be on from the mags.

• Members

NBC 1986, i still remember the episodes and still have the tape:

Days of Our Lives Marlena is in a coma and some kid visit her and RoJohn goes crazy on him, Alice gives Victor K a piece of her mind concerning Hope, only to discover Pete Janning at the Kiriakis Mansion with Ivy and Charlie.

Another World I am foggy about I think Reginald Love is discovered to be alive

Santa Barbara some court stuff with Gina

Search for Tomorrow: Never got into it but its on the tape.

• Members

With VHS I recorded All My Children, That was pretty much it. I still miss that show dearly. I wish ABC would bring it back. But that's not going to happen. I wish I would've saved All My Children's final episode on my DVR but I deleted it shortly after watching it. That was a stupid move. I also deleted One Life to Live's final episode (again stupid move) and I miss that show too. I actually stopped watching OLTL for a brief period from about 2006 through Mid 2007. I believe I started watching OLTL everyday again right when Asa died. OLTL got so good. I was impressed with Ron C.'s writing because OLTL had gotten so bad but then he came on and revitalized characters that had been destroyed by other writers. I watched OLTL on SOAPnet from 2007-2011 then I got my DVR and DVR'd the show and watched everyday. It's a shame AMC and OLTL had to end. In 2007 OLTL had anywhere from 2.9 to over 3 million on some days. All My Children had 3-3.5 million. I don't understand why ABC/Disney didn't realize people were watching on SOAPnet (me included). Especially when they got the report that the network had hit a high with OLTL and AMC having about 450-500 thousand viewers on SOAPnet. I'll stop ranting now. lol

• Members

Never had to VCR a lot of soaps since my grandmother, who I lived with, recorded them. But the first show I recorded on my own in my own bedroom was Passions, during the Zombie Charity business. When she stopped watching Days and I became hooked, my first official episode I recorded was the episode where Tony (ugh, Andre I guess) returned to Salem and crashed John & Marlena's anniversary party.

Back when I watched Y&R regularly and was away at college so had to record on my own, the first episode I remember recording was one of the ones leading up to Cassie's death. Back when I watched OLTL as well, my first recorded episode of that was Dorian, Jess and Natalie kidnapping and tying up Mitch Laurence.

Archived