As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Robert Mason Pollock, who was a head writer for As the World Turns, Guiding Light, The Doctors, and the serials General Hospital and  Santa Barbara (which he co-created and co-produced) has passed away at the age of 99.

He was the son-in-law of Frank and Doris Hursley.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL..yes all the Andropolous men were a**holes!  Watching this and knowing what is going to happen in the future with Mr. and Mrs. Pinter I think..."No Babs..run away!"

I liked it when Lisa had her own little family that she would meddle with. I actually liked her and Brian's step relationship..they should have brought some of the McColl's back as you can't imagine Diana not getting into trouble in her life post Oakdale and Lisa getting involved.

Poor Maggie..I wish she had told them all to go to hell!

• Members

IMO, they should've brought back a heap of people for Lisa in the final years of the show: Scott, Grant, Diana, Kirk, Brian....

I always felt that they should've made Stuart Damon a recast of Don and put him with Lisa. Totally wasted actor on a stupid mob role and story. 

From the little I've seen of all three Andropolous men, Frank does seem like the least !@#$%^&*]-like. Or maybe b/c Maggie stood up to Frank in comparison to Kim and Betsy, who typically cowered to their men. Funny how they all seemed to be immensely popular during the time on the show but as times and morals change, so do people's opinions of them. 

Why was Diana's restaurant struggling? Didn't Whit leave her a trust or anything? 

John v. Dusty was so good. Bryggman and Bloom were believable in that scene. Why was Dusty so angry though? I know it has to do with more than John just grounding him. Did it have something to do with Karen? 

I hope more '84 episodes get posted. I just love watching 80s ATWT even though it was a bit before my time. 

• Members

*the* best ATWT theme of all time, IMO, but y'all already knew that lol I have seen literally no video footage of Ethel Remey as Lisa's mom. I knew she was on the show until 1977, but I guess seeing her name in the credits here just made me realize how long she was really around for. She just might be my Margo Flax for ATWT.

• Members

Also concerning billing, the name of Patricia Bruder was listed way down below that of Henderson Forsythe.  She had been written out (for the second time) and then returned.   When she returned, her name was listed at bottom of the credits.   It then kept rising.

I really liked Laurel Delmar as Laurie Keaton.    I wonder what she did after she left this program?

• Members

I noticed this, too. Funny, because he also has top billing in the 1978 episode that has been around for a few years. I wonder when that was became standard. The next-earliest credits we have are from '66 (the ONLY black-and-white roll I've seen), and he comes after Don MacLaughlin, Helen Wagner, Nat Polen, and Rosemary Prinz. Polen and Prinz were gone by 1968, so maybe then?

Assuming he received top billing at the same time EF received the "and" distinction.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

ATWT seemed to have credits in order of seniority, so at some point Hastings demanded and got top billing. Guess Wagner etc didnt care about such things.

These are transcribed credits from a Dec 67 episode

Looks like William Johnstone was recurring by this point and Don and Eileen were not singled out.Although Santos Ortega should be higher up as he was there from the first week,I believe.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

How did they write Ellen out? Was it like mentioned and living in town but never seen like when Wagner left, or did she go visit Penny? Why did they write her out? How did they write the Judge out, did he die. I remember in an episode with the Greg Marx Tom, during one of Fulton's times off, they talk about Alma like she is alive..did she just disappear one day?

Edited by Mitch

• Members

Actress Ethel Remey passed away.   They recast the role with Dorothy Blackburn until her exit could be written into the scripts.   She did go on a cruise, and I think that she died on it.

Concerning the top billing and the seniority, that did not happen because William Johnstone was in the original cast, and Santos Ortega began on the second episode.

• Members

I think Ellen was first written off around 74.This was odd because Dan had returned and Annie was being aged. Ellen was still in Oakdale supposedly,so I wonder how thry handled Dan not interacting with his mother.Ellen came back when the show went to an hour,I believe.