Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The son also rises.   Donald Jr is a natural and hair gel aside I think if he would run for mayor of NY he could win.  He gave the best speech so far, better than the politicians, and I think that comes from being a New Yorker  learning how to hustle in business.  I think he has a future in politics if he wants one.   He is like the less mannered JFK Jr who doesn't have the taste to see that that hair gel just has to go.

• Members

That isn't quite the same.   Borrowing with the author's permission is allowed.  I don't think any speech is written without inspiration from somewhere, borrowing a thought or being inspired by something.   What the wife did was completely different in that she was basically giving whole parts of someone else's speech.  He seems to have just found a phrase catchy so he worked it in.

• Members

If given permission, sure. I didn't know if they did or not.

I don't think this or the Melania thing make much of a difference to the public or to polls. I just think it's sloppy. Con artists should be better at sanding down the edges.

• Members

I just have to say that the majority of the women I'm seeing at the Republican Convention are straight out of 1991 with their lacquered hair and blue eye shadow - it's a time warp of epic proportions. 

Kimberly's speech...she didn't go Full Sheila, but she had many instances where you could have swapped 'Hillary' for 'Lauren' and it would have been a monologue Bill Bell would have been proud of. 

• Members

I think that's the part that scares even Trump.

I'm with you, DD, and I'm with Vee: I don't think Trump ever intended to go this far, but he is too proud to admit as much and drop out.  Ergo, he's stuck playing out a narrative that, over time, has gotten away from him.

I wonder whether one of Y&R's writers from the Bell era did, indeed, write her speech.