Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Andy was totally justified trying to kill Robert. The man murdered his one true love for crying out loud. How is Andy supposed to just "forget about it" as dumb Robert apparently expects him to??

The problem here is that Andy is too dumb and too weak to go thru with it. He has no blood ties to Robert and the guy is just a cancer. But of course he'll find a way to just sweep all that crazy under the rug and worm his way back into everyone's lives....and Aaron's bed....

• Members

But can't we turn that around? After all, Andy "murdered" Sarah. He then planned to shoot Robert and Katie, nearly killing Jack instead. He then went on to have a sleazy affair with an underage Debbie, and terrorize his wife Jo with physical and emotional abuse. Robert and Victoria had no blood ties to him, and one could call him a cancer. Does that mean Robert and Victoria should murder him?

The whole point of Andy's character is that blood ties don't mean anything. He disowned his father and his brother (his brother not even for much of a reason - just because he'd slept with Victoria). He was taken in by the Sugdens and treated as a brother and a son. And Robert was a big reason why. 

As for "one true love" you know that he cheated on her for months and nearly punched her in the face, right? She was never a partner to him, she was a fantasy, an excuse. He once blamed her for everything that had gone wrong in his life, because if she hadn't cheated, he never would have nearly killed his father, never would have beaten his wife, etc. It was a disturbing, deeply unpleasant relationship that always dragged them both down. If she was still alive I doubt they'd even be together at this point.

Robert has done a lot of terrible things, but Andy is no better. The difference is Andy, and everyone around Andy, treats him as a saint, and forgives him anything he does. 

• Members

Do I totally agree with DRW50!  I've only been watching for about a year, but have read a lot on line and watched on youtube.

I thought the Robert/Andy scenes were excellent.  My favorite parts of the show generally surround the Sugdens, in large part because of all that history with the show and between the characters.   It just doesn't get any better than that.  Loved how they used the history of Max dying years ago and Robert leaving ...

I completely agree that everyone babies Andy.   And Robert is the one who veered the car off at the end - not Andy.   I have been pleasantly surprised that Diane and Victoria have been suppotive of Robert, since they usually just baby Andy.

Andy has done LOTS of bad stuff.  I forgot about how he shot Jack and it related to Katie/Robert.   He beat his wife - something Robert never did.   He's a neglectant dad too.   I mean the character is just a MESS.

My take on Katie's death.   She was harassing Robert about an affair.  Why was this any of her business anyway?  If I was Robert, I would have been annoyed with her.  I do think he pushed her on purpose.  And PERHAPS at that moment he did want to kill her.   But that is much different than a planned, orchestrated murder.  Clearly, that is not what happened.  If somebody was blackmailing me that I hated and had a history with, and was going to ruin my life, I could see myself IN THAT MOMENT wishing the person was dead.    It's not the same as if Robert had previously weakened the floor boards so that he could lure Katie in to then kill her.  That isn't what happened, which is why I think in the end it was an "accident".    And in the end, with the accident, Robert was the better person, not Andy - I bet Andy would have left him to die.

Honestly, Andy could have by now killed more people than Sarah - Robert's mother - who is he to judge anyone?

Random observation - while I like the Pete/Ross drama and the Andy/Robert drama I think it's strange the show would have dueling storylines where two brothers are wanting to kill the other ... somewhat odd.

Historical questions:

1) When Robert (old actor) left the show after Max died, did Robert leave because the actor left or what was the reason? Or did the show just decide to write him off?

2) What was going on with Diane and Jack when Jack died (in real life).   It seems like maybe Diane had an affair?  I assume the storyline got derailed because Jack died in real life?  I did see the scenes where Jack dies and Diane reads the letter from him, etc., etc., so I know they "reconciled" the couple when he died.

3) Did Diane ever know Robert at all when Jack was alive?  What was her relationship with Andy and Victoria when Jack was alive?  I do like how Diane is a surrogate mother to the three, but was she with Jack?

4) Is Annie Sudgen still alive?  Is that where Debbie was? Wouldn't she be almost 100?

5) Does Joe Sudgen have children, or is there children he could have that he didn't know about?  Seems like Sudgen cousins of Robert, Andy, and Victoria would be a logical thing to bring in ...

6) Does Jimmy know how about Robert and Andy's causing Max's death?

-------------

On a completely different note, was Genna and Ashley's birthday really the same day?  And was it the day they just celebrated?

I found the Genna birthday thing with the new GF bizarre.  Why would you subject the GF to that right when she came to town?  I didn't find it believable at all she would attend.  It would have been more believable if it had been Molly's birthday because then logically GF would have felt she needed to be there and logically Genna's family would also be there -  and still caused discomfort for the new gf.  I am forgetting her name.  Tonya?

------------

Finally, really dislike the Ashley departure story.   I think a character like this is needed.   Is this the actor's choice to leave?  It doesn't seem like it.  Find it more odd when he has two children on the show too who could drive future story.

• Members

1. I think it was the actor's choice to leave at the time.

2. Yes, Diane had an "affair", it never became physical though. The man she had the "affair" with was Billy Hopwood, Andy's biological father.

3. Yes, Diane knew Robert. She came to the village in 1999 and Robert left in 2005. Jack and Diane was even married when Robert left Emmerdale. She has always had a close relationship with Andy, but if I remember correctly her relationship with Victoria became a little strained when her "affair" with Billy became known. 

4. Yes, Annie Sugden is still alive and lives in Spain. I think Annie is supposed to be similar in age to Sheila Mercier who plays her, and she is 96.

5. As far as we know Joe Sugden didn't have any biological children. He had two step-children, Mark and Rachel, from his second marriage to Kate, but they're both dead. Mark was killed in the plane crash New Year's Eve 1993, and Rachel was murdered by her boyfriend Graham in 1999. Joe did spend a few years in France in the mid 1980s though, so there is an opening, should they want to, to introduce a previously unknown child. The Sugdens have been very bad at procreating, but very good at dying.....

6. I don't think anyone but Andy and Robert knows the truth about what happened when Max King died. Jack knew too of course, but he's gone.

• Members

1) I'm not sure whether it was Karl Davies' choice or not. I've read some fan comments that he was fired. If so, quite a stupid decision.

2) Diane had had an emotional affair with Billy Hopwood, bio dad of Andy and Daz (who was living with Jack at the time and was like a son to him - of course now he doesn't exist...). Jack loathed Billy, as he had been abusive to Andy, had neglected him, been in jail for most of his childhood, and finally had killed the postmaster, Vic Windsor, in late 1998, ending in an 8 year prison sentence. After Victoria overheard them talking and told Jack (who absolutely tore into Diane in a terrifying way), a furious, drunk Billy told her about Jack setting the fire that killed Sarah. Victoria threatened to burn the house down and poured gas and lit a match. Andy told her he'd done it. She ran upstairs and they went to check on her, not realizing the stuff she'd left behind would blow up. Jack was nearly killed. Victoria couldn't accept the idea of Jack and Diane reuniting. As a result they were still estranged when Clive Hornby had to leave for medical reasons several months later. They remained estranged, but Diane learned that Jack had forgiven her and still loved her, and had only stayed away because he did not want her to see him severely ill. 

I uploaded a lot of episodes from this story (they heavily feature in August 2007) on my channel Steph Stokes. If you don't have time for all that, here's the anniversary episode which features the crux.

3) Diane knew Robert and Andy from around the age of 14-15, and Victoria from around the age of 7. She and Jack had started dating secretly in the last months of 2000, while Sarah was still alive (and with another man, Richie). They had a relationship that was up and down for several more years until moving in together and then marrying near the end of 2004. Diane tried to be supportive but it was tough going with Robert and Andy, who were nearly grown and very damaged. She was closer to Victoria, although Victoria grew to resent her over time for being strict and for being a main priority for Jack. She didn't really become a main parental figure until after Jack had to leave. She has never really had that role for Andy or Robert though. Well she has on paper, but onscreen, the show often does not bother. For lengthy periods of time in recent years a new viewer would not be wrong to assume none of Andy/Vic/Diane were close. Robert's return has brought them together a little more.

4) Annie is still alive, yes. I assume they are doing this out of respect to Sheila Mercier, who is still alive herself. 

5) Joe and his second wife miscarried a baby in 1990. His stepchildren with her are dead. They could easily give him a child if they so want, as he was offcamera for a number of years and had various lovers and wives in his time oncamera.

6) No.

7) Gennie's is the 15th, Ashley's the 14th. I remember Ashley's mostly because of an awkward episode in 2001 where he and Bernice were estranged and he decided to throw caution to the wind by dancing wildly at his party with Nicola, much to the bewilderment of the guests. 

Kate Oates told John Middleton about the story and gave him the choice of whether or not to play it. He decided to take the risk.

I'm going to miss him so much :(  You're right, the show desperately needs him.

8) Tanya. To be fair to them, it was Jai that pushed and pushed for her to be there. They weren't going to involve her.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I have a feeling that will happen, as otherwise the Paddy/Tess affair makes even less sense. It would also set up some battle of the fathers, even though Paddy has been a sh!t "father" this year, to say the least.

I feel like they're setting all this up to say Gordon raped or physically abused Chas and that's why the show has made her so scared all the time now. I hope they won't go that route. It's such a cliche, and I think viewers have ODed on "poor Aaron" and "poor Chas" material this year as it is. And it's a waste of a character who might actually manage to break Aaron out of the toxic, unwatchable pattern his life is in - a life so meaningless that he is now assigned to be carer to his mother and told to keep quiet about wanting to kill himself. So much for Dingle family love.

• Members

They really should pay RIk Makarem whatever he asks and get him to stay around as Nikhil. Not only is Nikhil a rare moral man on a show full of amorality and nastiness, Rik has been hotter than hell in this go-round. That heavy breathing he was doing when he tore a strip off Jai was incredible.

I like Megan but I"m still not sure why she can't just leave to keep the baby secret, unless Leyla is sitting on a million pound business...

• Members

Lol which episode was this that David was so resique...

Who the hell has kidnapped my precious Emma? 

And I'm SUPER angry about this Ashley storyline and his exit. The poor man has suffered enough. This just seems like adding insult to injury. It was bad enough that Victoria destroyed him and now he's gonna become a demented guy and just lose everything as he gets even older. Just highly depressing and makes me so sad. 

I don't see how Robert and Aaron end up together after all this. I mean I agree they have great chemistry and heat but there's just too much animosity and hate to overcome. 

OKAY I'll admit...seeing that grinch Cain with that adorable little cherub son of his made my day lol. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear