• Members
Posted (edited)

Like most Apple TV shows this one doesn't seem to be getting a lot of press, but it is really fun.  My experience with Apple + is that every time I go on the service, I am constantly surprised that some huge actor has a show that I've heard about before.  I swear I'll play trivia soon and the question will be, “Which Gary Oldman show is on its third season, but you've never read about it anywhere?”

I tend to think Carol Burnett's portrayal of a woman recovering from a stroke might get some blow back on any other platform.  It is a very broad and silly characterization, filled with turbans and odd groans.  It reminds me a lot of her old characters from her variety show.

The costumes and scenery are so rich and colorful.  The central mystery is fun and convoluted. 

One expects Allison Janey and Kristen Wiig to be great.  But, the real revelations are Leslie Bibb and Josh Lucas.  They are usually cast as straight men, or have to depend on their looks, but in this they are as wacky and bizarre as the rest of the cast.  I was also so happy to see Julia Duffy back on TV.

I hope others are watching it because it is scratching the itch that I hoped Feud would fulfill. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This whole show is essentially cat nip for the gays. There's a bit of annoying anachronisms in there, but overall, if you like things like Desperate Housewives, this is a show for you essentially.

• Members

no.

Laura Dern is the exec producer, based on a book by Juliet McDonald, and adapted by Abe Sylvia who did the film Eyes of Tammy Faye, and George & Tammy, so that's more of the vibe.

It is certainly smarter and cooler than Desperate Housewives, but I can see the similarity to the pilot in terms of a dense plot and a balance of high jinks and sincerity.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Julia Duffy continues to be the standout character.

Of course, she was funny on Newhart and Designing Women, but she really shines on Palm Royale.  I adore that she always has a tiny glass of champagne in her hand.    Her character's husband's name was David Davidsoul.  And her devotion to the Fibs.

The show is very silly, but it also has a lot of heart.  And the visuals are beautiful.  Last week, when Maxine was looking up at the stars and saw the astronauts go by, it was like a lovely painting.  And the sets are so amazing that it honestly surprises me every week that they are on a set and not in the actual homes on Palm Beach. 

I feel so old because I just realized that Mitzi is played by Kaia Gerber and not Rachel Bilson.  They look and sound so similar, but they are 20 years apart in age (looked it up).  I hope Rachel Bilson gets a Leslie Bibb-like role soon, I miss her.

Also, I prefer the original title Mr. and Mrs. American Pie

Edited by j swift

• Members

The wacky factor keeps getting ratcheted up, but somehow this show maintains its heart.  And its budget.  The CGI whale was impressive.

Allison Janey is a mesmerizing actress.  Her eyes are so expressive, and when the guy said that she looked like the saddest woman alive; it was true.

It was an odd choice to have Laura Dern off camera the entire episode, but Julia Duffy's transformation was joyful.

I was also pleased that we finally got some insight into Josh Lucas's motivation.  His character feels the least well constructed.  Sometimes he seems nefarious, and other times he seems like a dumb baby.  He professes his love for his wife, but they rarely work together on their schemes.  So, I was satisfied that we finally got some answers about him.  

And anyone who ridiculed Ricky Martin needs to watch this episode.  That man's got soul, when written correctly.

TIL the novel is completely different except for the names.  The plot of the novel is that Douglas leaves Maxine, and she enters an over 40 beauty contest, judged by Evelyn, while pretending to be married to Robert.

Edited by j swift