GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was very high on much of the last month but It's been a rough week or more, I've liked and cringed at stuff in equal measure the last however many days. But that's any given week on most soaps. I am hoping sweeps gets out of some of these doldrums.

• Members

Weren't they basically already lol?  Sasha was and Cody was her sidekick/male model/whatever.  Blaze has been an option the show has been teasing for awhile and I don't love it, but I don't know why they'd go back to those two.  

• Members

Like I've said in the "Gates" thread, I wonder whether EK and PM are still working off whatever outlines/projections/post-its their predecessors might have left behind.

TBH, even with all the improvements, I still tune out on a lot of stuff, but only because they are so unfamiliar characters and I haven't been watching long enough to know everything that's going on.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I suspect people are right that they had very little time to work on long-term plans. The slow character focus for the last month suggests that to me. Unlike others I was never convinced they had a bible in place because frankly I don't think the networks have been giving any soap people much time to work on that when they are hired on anymore; I don't think what happened at Y&R with Sussman was an isolated incident, and we've seen so few new HW hires in the last decade anyway that weren't just internal people or recycled like Griffith. They're just handing someone the baton with very little lead time to work up plans and saying 'go'.

Hopefully they can put more new things in motion soon enough, but it's time to start culling hard. I've enjoyed the character depth and a lot of changes in pacing and focus, but I never want to see Home & Heart again.

Edited by Vee

• Members

That's entirely possible, but I'd expect more and better from a writing team that threw out the planned Jason Returns story.

I mean, this Deception/shopping network story is a mess onscreen, and I doubt it looks any better on paper. It looks like Chris and Dan got rid of Sasha, and that PM and EK want her back there. If so, they needed to make that happen more organically  and not to be so cringe.

When I see that horse stable set, all I can think of is how that ENTIRE place must smell of horse. Is that because nothing's happening with the dialogue?

Today, Jordan was mooning over Brick (Stephen A Smith). Really? I don't know anyone who was asking for more -- or any -- of this. I thought that went away with Chris and Dan.

Lucy. I'm so over that character, and Lynn Herring is not to blame for the mess writers have made. I think Lucy is worse since PM started. I could go on with another half dozen characters.

Yes, I know it's early. Yes, I know it takes time to turn around a show. But -- for me -- the last week or so has been a real slog.

• Members

I agree!

I also agree that it's time to start thinning out the canvas, if for no other reason than there's too much going on atm and that the more characters and storylines they need to service on this show, the harder it is for them to concentrate on what's really striking a chord with the audience.  I'd much rather watch a cast of 20-25 involved in 2-3 great storylines (even if it means some vets have to be phased out or phased out again!) than watch a cast of 70-75 involved 5-6 storylines where the quality is hit-or-miss JUST because it means I get to see Lucy or Robert or whoever again on a regular or semi-regular basis.

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's not really a story IMO. Just filler. But it needs to go away. IIRC it was PM/EK that had Sasha quit as the Face though, not C&D. But you could've done this "Sasha stays on as the home shopping girl" bit at the same time as her quitting the model job without making me watch more of Home & Heart. Unless Frank insists on more of Morgan and Luna Moody.

It doesn't help when Soap Twitter is an absolute nuthouse. You have folks using all caps in every tweet about how terrible it is that Ava is doing typical Ava things or whatever. I thought SoapZone was bad back in the day, but so much of the second by second live reaction on Twitter now is entirely skewed around people's fan preferences vs. the reality of watching the show. If Ava and Nina's ridiculous friendship is busted up it is suddenly the worst thing ever and so out of character! For as much as I find Home & Heart or Diane's latest diatribe about Carly/Nina tiresome, there's also a lot of that histrionic reaction based on stuff that is totally out of sync to what's actually onscreen.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Can't disagree with any of that, especially regarding Home & Heart and Soap Twitter.

If we're getting more Morgan and Luna, then Frank needs to move to Grey Gardens. I appreciate Morgan Fairchild and I love her politics, but she's not needed on GH. Frank is such a wizard with the budget, yet he spends money on these two?