BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

Honestly, I just want it to be a soap. And to feel like a soap. 

Not some primetime wannabe, where every conflict gets resolved in two episodes.

Not some Ron Carlivati-Jamey Giddens cringey, campy shitfest.

Not a ripoff of the most popular show currently on TV.

A soap. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And if we can't have that, then at least give us Vivica A. Fox and Jonelle Allen beating the hell out of each other every week. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

One thing that I am definitely hoping for is that MVJ, Sheila Duckworth and the NAACP do not all P&G to have anything to do with the process of archiving and preserving archives. I realize that, unlike their other soaps, this soap will be digital from the very beginning but I wouldn’t trust P&G to have a hand in even maintenance of digital holdings, they are known for being lousy at maintaining archives even when ATWT and GL had turned to digital.
Hopefully P&G will be relegated to product placement and sponsorship duties (and hopefully they will be one of many sponsors). Seeing as how P&G neglected their own library of shows, I wouldn’t trust them with making anything close to programming and archive for this new series. 

• Members

Inspired by the picture on MVJ's wall, how good would a three family structure based a girl group be?  You have one that married well and is rich, one who divorced the head of the record company and is middle class, and one who married her high school sweetheart and is lower middle class.  Bonus points, if the name of the girl group had something to do with gates.  For example, their hit song was the Gates of my Heart.

• Members

It's difficult for a soap to get off the ground on a good note. What I am cautious about is that even if the show is good from the start, some may reject it anyway because it isn't immediately going bang zoom pow. We'll just have to hope for the best and for industry support.

• Members

I said it in the other thread, but I don't get why CBS didn't promote or even tease the show at the EMMYs. This would've been the time to do so. I would've had a segment during the EMMYs with Michele Val Jean giving a tease and a cute little 10-sec promo during the commercials. 

• Members

Agreed. 

If CBS was going to air the award show, at least promote your daytime shows during the show. I saw more promotions for Elsbeth and Matlock 2.0 than I did any of their daytime lineup. They should've had The Talk (even though I don't care for the show) present and bid their fans adieu while announcing their final airdate in December. 

Nichelle and Kevin could've did a segment with Michele discussing The Gates and getting an exclusive as to what to expect. 

Again, you could've done a 10-second promo that ran numerous times throughout the award show about the timeslot and premiere date of The Gates

I feel like incompetent people run networks nowadays. And they wonder why Netflix and Disney+ are whipping their asses. 

• Members

Absolutely true! I was thinking about this when the show was airing. I was sure they would have some promo for the Gates, anything... and nothing. By the end of the show I forgot about it. 

• Members

I completely forgot about the Daytime Emmy awards, but I wonder if MVJ wants to reveal anything other than a tagline before the fall. Still, someone could have said “…coming soon to your television screens, the first daytime drama to debut on CBS in nearly 40 years…” which could have lended some sense of intrigue to things. Oh well, daytime, especially CBS Daytime stopped putting effort into promoting these soaps a number of years ago.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

While I do think they missed an opportunity to tease The Gates, I’m not worried about it from a promotion standpoint. There’s no way they’re going to be launching their first soap in decades and not giving it a big promotional push. 

In fact, I really don’t have any true worries other than what production model they take. The Bell soaps have been reduced to green screens and shrinking sets and I’d hope for a more modern look, but I think it’ll be better out of the gate than many are suspecting. 

Michelle has posted about writing so from a writing standpoint, they have time to perfect their product. This isn’t Port Charles which was basically put to air with no plan. Plus, I respect her taste level. From GH to B&B and Ambitions, I do feel she knows what it takes to make a good show. Also, as much as people love to hate Jamey, Ambitions was strong out of the gate and a lot of that was due to the impact of MVJ and Susan Dansby, so we know she knows how to launch a show. 

I’m really curious when they will start filming. What is everybody expecting? I would hope they start filming in August/September that way they can see how things are turning out and make tweaks if needed.