BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well if you go by the article that was first written for the show, this is exactly how it sounds. That she's pushing for something different, but to what extent is the question.

• Members

Exactly and not only that but we can examine what usually happens when desires and intent pushes up against the “business” of production. The result is a product that is not always what as it was originally conceived.

One major factor is that MVJ is also Executive Producer of this show so she is more than a show runner or a ‘gun for hire’ (as screenwriters are sometimes known) she has real investment capital in this entity.

• Members

Yep!

I really do wonder who else MVJ could snag for her first writing team.  Besides Mulcahey, there's Susan Dansby, Michelle Patrick, maybe Thom Racina (since he and MVJ worked together at GENERATIONS and SaBa)....

• Members

They should have a teenager outside The Gates filming herself for Tik Tok. She tells her "followers" that her momma gave her up as a child to live with a poor family while her momma proceeded to live the high life. Given up because her father was the butler and her momma didn't want a scandal. Then she tells her "followers" the scandal is about to be broughten! 

lol

You'll have the upper class family, the poor adoptive family, and the servants to give storyline to.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Considering the messy words and situations that some former and current soap stars have entrenched themselves in politically, it made me reflect on something @Vee mentioned about soap fans having no alternative but to separate the views between the actors and the characters they portray (which is something that I have always tried to do). It was probably easier when the soaps were more compelling and before microblogging sites were created. 
It did make me see the value of what ‘The Gates’ could become if it presents a strong vision, rather than the usual soap opera ethos of trying to appeal to the midwestern white women. I hope that MVJ is never pressured and never succumbs to pressure to triangulate her vision in order to develop some blandly saccharine landscape in order to appeal to that same middle. I hope to see core families and characters with strong identities and POVs.

Many people are worried about possible interference from PGP as with their previous soaps but there are several aspects that differ from those other soaps—among them MVJ is one of the EPs, P&G is a “partner” rather than a sole production company, as in the past and P&G and likely everyone knows that P&G was never the best as producing stories featuring Black characters on their soaps so they may actually sit this one out and defer to MVJ and the Sheila Duckworth.

• Members

May I ask for a prediction?

What percent of forum posters will instantly reject The Gates after the premiere episode because they were disappointed after months of hype in this thread?

My guess is 60%.