• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Meanwhile, it is still the most discussed show on this forum, with people who actually watch daily.

So yeah, your grandma might not be watching, but it is easily consumed on streaming and still brings some joy to my life.  And the platform, the nepotism, nor the popularity excuses what happened to this actress.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Arguable Days has always had a HUGE online presence. Only rivalled by GH and Y&R. I remember up until the early 2010s, Days being one of the most searched tv shows every year on Google. That’s in daytime and primetime! Pretty incredible honestly. I would say, all three of those shows could sustain many years online into the future. 

This whole thing is such a mess. I’ve been a diehard Days fan for over 30 years. I have been less than thrilled with the show the last 2 years, just content wise, but this is seriously making me consider never watching again. I fully stand with Arianne on this. The hell she and the other females involved with days had to endure the last decade. Just horrendous. 

I think if Corday wants to save the show at this point he needs to step down from producing. He will never sell the show. First of all, who would want it. While I think the show could last many more years under the proper leadership, I don’t think any other production company would see it as viable. Secondly, as little as he cares these days (obviously, it’s his lack of interest that has brought this whole mess on) it’s still his parents show to him. Every interview he does about the shows legacy, it shows he will always feel that way. As much as he’s mismanaged it, it’s part of his family, he’s not giving that away, in the shows life or death. 

Corday should settle with AZ. Give her what she wants, no matter what. Sooner rather than later. He should offer AZ her job back. Give her whatever money she wants as a salary, fire someone if you have to. There are so many useless contract cast members right now. AZ is worth 10 of some of those people. I am sure alot of fans would agree. 
Again, he should step down from producing the show. Obviously as owner, he will always be there and have a say, but hire someone who can take over that position and treat everyone involved with Days with respect and dignity. And honestly produce better quality. And finally, have a permanent HR person involved with the show, that is capable of dealing with these issues. Cause obviously Corday is useless. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

THIS, All of this!  And, I've said all along that they should either hire on an on-set PTSD Counselor or arrange something so it would be easy for cast & staff to get counseling that is paid for by the studio. Those people have been traumatized.

And, yes, Ari's acting has been carrying the show. Lots of fans would agree. 

• Members

@AbcNbc247 & @JAS0N47  In her press conference, she mentioned being written out for a while after the allegations were made public last summer.  I wonder if she's referencing what we are seeing now with Nicole being in Europe? Or, do you recall Nicole being written out at any other time this past year?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Ken's legacy seems as much a burden to him as a privilege. He has never seemed to have much insight or passion for the show beyond it being a generational thing that he feels responsible for.

In a way he acknowledges his limitations by handing over the day to day  running of the show to those he feels have more expertise, but this is often misguided. He then belatedly tries to make changes but the whole thing seems patchwork. See 'The Plan to Save Days'

Compared to his mother  who had a very clear notion of what she wanted the show to be and worked closely with writers and producers.

You don't really get the sense that Ken has a clear vision and is more likely to glom onto whatever current producer or headwriter wants to do.

• Members

As I recall his memoir, that was the most interesting part.  It was unexpectedly insightful about working with his mother (who experienced a great deal of trauma), the loss of his brother, and how he became burdened with the production that was never part of how he saw his future.  It is relatable that he is conflicted about his family's business that he writes brought his mother so much grief.  I recommend it to you specifically, because I think you would enjoy it (if you've never read it).

However, none of it, excuses the allegations against him in this case in particular.  His dedication, creativity, and vision (or lack there of), did not cause him to reduce Ms. Zucker's pay twice after she went public with accusations of sexual harassment.  I know that is not your intention, but the conversation seems to meander away from the issues in this case that I feel demand focus and attention from us an audience.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Betty Corday seems to have been really sharp, smart, very knowledgeable about the show, other shows, advertising & also quite able to judge character & hire great people to do specific things since she couldn't do it all herself. 

If you read Ken's book or any articles where he is quoted, he gives a kind of sentimental lip service to the legacy of DAYS. He recalls being with his father when he chose the spinning globe as the logo and motif for ATWT & it sounds like its one of the proudest moments of his life. So maybe he peaked at 5. And we know how sad that is. Also that he stayed in awe of his father. I've been re-reading passages in his book & given what's come to light in the last year and half, it is so depressing I can't read much at a time. What you say about his actions is all true. If he had any kind of self-awareness he would settle this fast & rehire Ari & step down as EP, since he treats it like a figurehead anyway, and hire someone excellent to really be a showrunner. Then he could comfortably continue to be "the owner." 

• Members

The press conference definitely made it appear as if this is not going to end well for Corday Productions, Ken Corday and Albert Alarr.

NBCUniversal / Peacock need to step-in and say, "Hand it over or you're done," and then it would be over. So, K. Corday wanted to keep what's left of his parents' legacy⏤most of which he has destroyed⏤then I would hand it over for a small compensation he can use to pay-off Zucker without dipping into his own money. And I've long opinioned that Universal Television, which is closely associated with NBC / Peacock should have stepped in to purchase Days of Our Lives (or at least controlling interest) and increase production. Sony Pictures Television is purely distributional so their involvement could be easily severed. It's K. Corday and Corday Productions that poses the problem.

I think transitioning from NBC to Peacock, with little promotion from the network or even the show, was a detriment to its older audience that still watched during their local time slot. I know it was 1pm here. And I remember when NBC changed stations locally here they kept promoting, during each show for a month or two, that if they wanted to continue watching their shows they'd have to follow to the new network station.

Don't know if I would necessarily say that.....

• Members

Frankly, I think Betty Corday handed the reins over to her son, because she knew he'd never make it as a professional musician.  She could pass away knowing that, at the very least, Ken and his family would be taken care of.

It's just a shame that a legacy that has stretched across almost six decades potentially could end like this.