GH: February 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I have seen the visit before.  Karen/Jagger did offer, but were completely MIA when he actually passed away and for his funeral-which the entire town went to.  I see Sonny's point, but I can also see perhaps Jagger/Stone were more in touch off screen and it wasn't mentioned.

Gina is the worst.  She definitely did nothing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Maybe then but Sonny has felt off to me since Spencer died and the Nina mess so I wonder if they are gonna do a being off his meds arc with him

They tried to redeem Gina in 1996 when Stephanie Dicker replaced Nikki Cox (Who I belive was on Unhappily Ever After then) but she spent almost a year pining for Jason & a little bit for Nikolas before Sarah Webber showed up. 

• Members

I remember, but I don't think she was ever an option for Nik.  She was an adult that worked at a bar so over 21.  I feel like they tested Gina with Sonny for a minute as well.  She just hung around Luke's a lot and didn't really go anywhere.  She was kind of the first bland heroine they made around Brenda/Carly's age that tanked.  First, but not the last.

• Members

Yep 

I remember Gina had a few scenes with Nik but nothing happened. She was more into Jason & sad that he was with Robin. 

I believe she last aired on PC in a scene with Karen in 1997, I believe the Nurses Ball

• Members

I have to go look that up at some point but I can't remember her with Nik at all lol.  I remember she would follow Jason around like a puppy and he was oblivious.  And Sonny would flirt with Gina in front of Brenda to just piss Brenda off because who knows why?  Gina is probably a character that had potential, but the actress and characterization was off.  Since it's a Cates revival these days, I wouldn't be against a vixen/villainish Gina popping up today.  But there's about 20 people I cull from the current cast before bringing on new people.

• Members

I really can't stand this new Jagger, but he does look like his non-Nikki Cox sister from 1996 so I guess there is that.

Brenda has been off the canvas for a decade now and I can very easily block out Sonny + love interest nonsense.  That type of stuff doesn't even phase me.  I once heard Sonny tell Olivia** Brenda was some girl he used to date and lived through it.

**I put the hilarious blog recap of that convo in the classic thread because it doesn't belong here, but it did make my head explode slightly.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

That You Tube interview (from ABC Channel 7 in Chicago) DOES NOT "exonerate" Eva LaRue, and the Soaphub article DOES NOT distort what LaRue said.

In the interview, LaRue says her character "will be struggling with her daughter's sexuality." Sounds like homophobia to me.

Yes, she goes on to attribute that to a number of things, including her question as to whether Blaze's sexuality is a response to her being sexually assaulted by a man. Sounds like homophobia to me.

LaRue also says part of it might be attributed to Natalia's (her character's) ego. Sounds like homophobia to me.

She mentions Natalia is a "conservative Latina mom" TWICE. She never says it's a shock that her daughter would have premarital sex.

Eva LaRue is either protecting her character -- because she knows how awful homophobia is -- or she's ignorant and clueless as to how her explanation sounds. I don't want to cancel LaRue or anything near it, but I sure wish she was more woke when it came to sexuality.

Because this ain't it.

• Members

I just question the wisdom of getting into the weeds about a TV news interview re: whether or not Eva LaRue thinks her character is homophobic and should be cancelled for it or not, when she's been on for exactly two days. This is not that serious.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Here's the thing-Eva La Rue is a decent name for a soap.   She has had a very successful career.  I am not expecting her to be the most woke, articulate person in the world on a local tv news interview.  I can see why it could be taken offensively, but I really don't think that was her intent or goal.  She's giving a view on a fictional character, not her own personal views.   I had my objections to this casting and this role, but even I don't see why there is an outcry here.