GH: February 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I've discussed this before, but the most jarring thing I saw on GH in years was the episode in 2015 where Jonathan Jackson played scenes alone with Tony Geary near the end of Luke's terrible exit story. Lucky had accompanied his parents back to town after the stupid Zombie Frank Smith caper Ron Carlivati had written for them had ended, and Ron was obviously once again threading in another plot strand he had no idea if he could ever pick back up again (and didn't); the idea that Helena's past brainwashing of Lucky had messed with his mind and that was why he'd been staying away from Port Charles, his family and his sons. (It was a decent explanation on paper, but the recurring problem with RC was follow-through and no commitment from an actor to return and play it out.)

Anyway, Luke and Lucky had scenes alone together talking about Lucky's reasons for staying away. Past dialogue had been vague and obvious about his 'demons', etc. But suddenly the script was incredibly good, soulful, articulate and the scene was long. It was plopped in the middle of an otherwise bog-standard episode. It came as no surprise to discover (either just before or not long after, I think) that Tony and JJ had rewritten them themselves. And yet this was the kind of caliber we could sometimes still expect even in really bad times from the past members of the Labine/Guza writing corps that got almost totally flushed in 2011-2012. Including, of course, Mulcahey.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Same; for the first time since we had new names for All My Children for TOLN's production! I'm more so concerned about Disney-ABC than Mulcahey, because Mulcahey is known for not being a "yes" man, and while he admits he was too harsh at times, it does make me wonder what he's about to bring forward.

I know Josh Griffith did it when he came back in 2019, and he wrote into Mal Young's scripts. And while i'd love an immediate change with Mulcahey, I'm also being realistic in assuming it'll take some bit of time for things to be "fixed" so-to-speak. Yes, the interim team during the WGA Strike really hit the ground running but they were just continuing what they were handed. I'm also curious how he'll handle new characters (not that we need them), and re-focus things on the canvas. So many options. So many avenues. I'm just hoping he's given the ability to do what we know he can, because you don't hire THE Patrick Mulcahey and not allow him to do his thing.

I REMEMBER THOSE SCENES! Oh gosh. I really hope Mulcahey is able to bring some of that, even if not as extensively, into 2024. Give is depth. I do believe there is a way of giving audiences "yesterday," while maintaining "today" and "tomorrow" in terms of what should be brought... if that makes sense?

• Members

-- Cannot believe the number of posts here about NuJagger. You'd think the guy had taken over GH and swallowed up every storyline. Jeez.

Of course I remember Jagger from 1992, and I was struck by the appearance of the blond. If the replacement was for someone we'd just seen on our screens in the past year or so, I'd dringe. But 30 years??? I get that people are talking about it, but I don't know that calling it "whitewashing" is fair.

Besides, I wonder if they hired a blond because they're going to tie him to another character we already know -- Dex, perhaps. One of the problems with the character Dex is that he has no family connection to others. Wouldn't Jagger showing up as his father accomplish that?

I'm just spitballing here. I know nothing and haven't heard any spoilers. I just think there has to be a reason they cast Adam Harrington in the role. It's either because of some tie in PC or because he's considered a good actor.

-- Regarding Joshua Benard's stint as Adam. Yes, it seemed to end abruptly. I checked the timeline, and he was on the show for 13 weeks. Yes, they contracted him for one soap cycle and that was it. As so often happens, soap writers mess up the pacing and timing.

It felt like after week 12, Chris and Dan said "Damn, we have one week to end this." Then we got the lame father reveal and the exit. Awful stuff.