• Members

I think Jason should be on the show, and I can’t stand Burton anymore. But I also don’t think a recast works at this point, how does a recast energize this fanbase?

The lapsed fans stuff from Varni makes me think he will return. But Ingo is way worse and I hope we draw the line somewhere. I wonder if KM would actively tank the pairing like she did to stay with Billy Miller? Or truthfully did Steve tank it? It’s hard to tell.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

It doesn't. It's never going to happen again. Which means I would kill Jason, dead-dead.

I still want to know WTF happened in Steve's last year. It was very strange. All of a sudden Jasam, which they'd forced down our throats for close to 20 years, was over very quickly, and Jason proceeds to get down with two new women in the same year, one of whom had been the no-go character for Jason by actor demand since 1999. Usually Jason needs a minimum of nine months, a background check and a promise ring to sleep with a woman. But suddenly he was down for both Britt and Carly in the same very quick span right on the heels of Sam. All I can conclude is that something with Steve and Kelly BTS became completely unviable, and I assume it will stay that way.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

Generally speaking, is Frank Valentini the sort of producer who allows his actors to dictate storylines, the way past EP's at GH have?  Or will Steve Burton have to "play ball," so to speak, and actually do whatever the [!@#$%^&*] is written for him to do?

Edited by Khan

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think Frank let Tony Geary have his way when he started at GH, right as Ron made it his mission in life to reunite L&L. He failed because Tony openly defied them, starting with their attempt to address Luke's alcoholism (by having Luke continue to ad-lib drinking the Quartermaine booze onscreen) and then all the way down the line. I think TG is the only actor Frank would bend the knee to, at least that I know of. He allegedly tried to break Steve's ego in that same period and that led to Steve quitting for years, when FV had allegedly gambled that he could get Steve to come in and out like Kimberly McCullough (who, in fairness, Frank had saved from permadeath onscreen as planned by Garin Wolf). Frank had no reverence for Steve or for most big stars, so he could allow Jason to be made a fool onscreen in 2012.

He's beloved by so many of his cast and crew so that can't be discounted, and stuff like what he did for John Ingle I'll never forget. But also I think with most talent FV rules with an velvet-gloved iron fist. The best example I know from OLTL is the urban legend, which I believe to be true, and this part of it definitely is: In 2008, during press screenings/Q&A for the 40th anniversary, a fan asked the cast and crew panel point-blank why Bo and Nora had never reunited. Frank answered that question by promptly throwing it to Bob Woods and Hillary B. Smith.

That sent a message. Allegedly, the rumor goes that the next step not long after this was Frank taking the actors aside, telling them the show was in dire straits numbers-wise and it was time to cut the bullshît and reunite Bo and Nora, for good. And the following year the show did exactly that (and it went very well IMO - the actors admitted as much afterwards, with RSW famously saying it was a huge mistake breaking them up and 'we could have been printing money all those years'). So, there's one example.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I mostly wonder what this means for Dante - isn't his only real role on the show Sam's boyfriend? 

(I know he is Sonny's son, but is that even a factor anymore)

I do worry what plans can work for Sam today even if Kelly and Steve agree to Jasam 15.0. The very positive reaction I see online when Lindsay Hartley returns reminds me of how happy a lot of fans were when Hayley Sparks would take over as Harley on GL, because by that point Beth Ehlers' various issues with the part and whatever was going on with her and the show were already starting to become noticeable.

• Members

I enjoy Lindsay in the role, but I think Sam is a spent character and I don't see a point in keeping her no matter the actor. She's one of so many in the cast GH has mostly held onto out of brand loyalty and fear of audience degradation IMO. So much of the show these days is built on simply maintaining its very delicate equilibrium.

• Members

Oh I don't think permanently recasting her would work - you'd get a lot of backlash and likely death threats, etc. I would probably just write Sam out at this point, although I know it isn't likely right now.

• Members

considering all the burnt relationship bridges on the show as far as potential love interests for Jason... are we gonna get Lois/Jason or Nina/Jason? lol Or are they just gonna start going younger and have some sort of Joss+Jason+Esme mess? Maybe, bring back Nelle? lmao! 

• Members

Not invested in GH but have enjoyed the thread.

What I don't understand is that certain actors, most of whom are well past their use by date  are being given (perceived?) power to dictate aspects of story and couplings etc.

They should be damn grateful that they're employed in the first place.

• Members

Well we have Liz just suffering through another pairing to prop someone that is not working, give Jason to her.

@Vee Did HBS and BW not want Bo & Nora? I seem to recall they both complained about the way JFP broke them up. I was under the impression they were in favor of the pairing.