Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Shawn’s explanation actually made a little sense today, but in some ways, it still seems like a weak and selfish way to write a character out. I really wish that this show had invested in Shawn and Belle as much as they did other characters, especially considering that they’re characters that people actually want to see. 

I’m glad that we got some closure with Brady/Chloe though. I just wish that we had gotten a little more. Chloe’s sudden, returned feelings for Philip won’t ever make that much sense to me. Those feelings would have been better conflict for her and Brady rather then his little demon spawn and her douchebag mother causing trouble lol  

And, I also liked Alex and Justin’s scenes, but like so many times before, RSW’s portrayal kind of messed it up. The way he played it, I didn’t get the impression that Alex was coping and coming to terms. I got the impression that he was just putting that act on in order to manipulate people. 

I still think this could be a good story though, especially if what we all suspect actually turns out to be true. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Yeah fr lol.  Brady & Nicole were very seriously together in 2017, then the Nicole/Kristen stuff in 2019, and they've been very close friends and business partners for forever.  I really don't like that on "Days," everyone acts incredibly familiar, even when there should be no reason they'd even know each other . . . but then you have people who should know (of) each other who don't.  Really looking at Alex and Stephanie here.

I think this is a strange time to age Holly seeing Nicole's WTD pregnancy is (one of) the show's A story . . . Nic is about to have a LOT going on lolol.

• Members

I wonder if when Belle and Shawn were SORASed they had any type of introductory dialogue to each other just to facilitate the audience in acknowledging their history?  Like, "hey Shawn, just remember we're not really cousins because my father was only programmed to think he was your father's brother, but he's not."

Sort of like those obligatory scenes when a new character is cast (or recast) as an existing family member and for the few weeks everyone references them as "son" or "brother" in order to orient the fans (e.g. Roman to Kate, "this is my sister Kim, Theresa's mother, and Stephanie's aunt, who was once a sex worker like Chloe, and then had multiple personalities like Abigail." - aka the most inorganic way for two characters to speak).

Edited by j swift

• Members

Just finished today's ep for 10/12 - I was irrationally angry at Belle for asking Shawn why he feels that he can't lean on her for support.  Umm, maybe because you didn't believe him when he was raped by Jan?  Despite the fact that you knew their history, Belle!  Or when you suggested movie night as an idea while you picked up Shawn from the hospital after he admitted to suicidal thoughts?  Or, how you made Victor's funeral only about yourself and treated it like another reunion, rather than asking about Shawn's feelings?  As others might say, Gurl bye!

Also, Brady, way to go, underplaying the apology toward Chloe until the night before she leaves town!  He knows Rachel and Kristen are nightmares, but popped off at Chloe the one time she said it out loud.  And now she's supposed to explain her reasoning for moving to NYC with Phillip?  - BTW it's been five episodes since they decided to move and rather than packing they've just been going around town having tearful goodbye scenes.

John's kids are bobbleheads when it comes to taking some personal responsibility.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think my problem was Belle focusing on adultery as the main issue in their marriage, rather than her lack of empathy toward Shawn and his disease.

Also, my comment is only about Belle's fictional motivation, it has nothing to do with the quality or gravity of the scenes.

I was obviously being silly, but it unnerves me how DAYS treats mental illness in general as less debilitating than physical ailments.  From Jennifer and Brady's addiction to Phillip and Shawn's depression to Harris and Ava's thought impairment, the portrayal of mental illness and the talking cure is not taken very seriously, despite them trying to ring dramatic value from the story.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think someone else said this, but I don't understand why Brady, John, Marlena, etc can't be involved in Belle/Shawn's story.  Marlena appears for 2 min everyday!  Instead of fangirling Harris/Ava it would have been nice for her to talk to Shawn or Belle instead.  She found out about Talia/Shawn and nothing happened lol.  I liked the Shawn/Belle/Phillp's scenes, but I don't understand why the show can't utilize the cast properly.  Pretty much every relevant person in this story appeared today but didn't interact with one another the fullest.  I understand there's always production issue, but why couldn't Belle spend a scene with Marlena/Brady before seeing Phillip and then go to Shawn?  The oppurtunity was there to have everyone involved with this story today and it wasn't.  

• Members

So that pain in the ass is the one who delivered Susan to Edmond?

Any interest I had in that mystery just ended. Too bad EJ didn’t kill him when he had the chance. 

Other than that, Xander and Sloan? Interesting, but unfortunately it looks like the custody fight is ending, which is too bad because that could have been really good. 

I did kind of like the parallel that was drawn between Sarah and Sloan. And I’m glad that they’re playing the long game with that storyline. Sloan/Eric/Nicole/EJ can go in so many different directions, especially now that Holly’s been aged. Bringing Xander/Sarah and possibly Brady/Theresa/Alex/Stephanie/Chad into it could have been good as well.

And, I guess we know who’s gonna be replacing Shawn at the Salem PD. That could be interesting to see lol 

But I still stand by what we’ve all said about Shawn and Belle. Hopefully one day, we’ll find out the full story about all these exits. And why Marlena’s been popping up in every episode for like only 30 seconds

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Lol at Marlena checking in with Kate about Phillip, but not her own daughter and her wrecked marriage.  They really must have stacked some scenes with LK/DH at the Pub.  Even though it's silly it's also kind of fun to anticipate when Marlena and Kate will pop up in an episode because you know they'll get a scene.

Everything else was okay.  They really are trying to make Harris happen.  And good to know Ava STILL makes pasta.  Her only defining characteristic is cooking Italian food.