Y&R June 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Couldn’t Y&R have hired a day player to portray a lawyer (Sharon’s or Cameron’s ) to present Sharon with Cameron’s personal effects? IN 1986 when Frannie Hughes (Julianne Moore) on ATWT found out that she had been bequeathed Douglas Cummings’ fortune after he was killed, she found out through a lawyer (who also happened to be her older brother). 

1980s ATWT fans will know that of which I speak but this Y&R story has a faint echo of that ATWT storyline when Douglas kidnapped Frannie and Kim Hughes, with explosives going off in the distance, which finally ends with Douglas being killed. In the wake of Douglas’ death, and Kim’s eventual indictment for Douglas’ death, Frannie finds out that Douglas has left his entire fortune to her.

• Members

I remember you joking about that. lol.

But wow. So he was just a silly cameo. Sad. 

It did. It looked like they were going to set up a triangle between him, Audra, and Allie. They even talked about how Audra was the reason he came back all depressed and how Audra had lost his baby and he never knew...but then it (and Noah/Allie) just vanished.

• Members

6-28

'Jack, what's wrong?'

Hehe...what's wrong is that Jack sees...like father, like son. Oh, PB's look was priceless as he spied Kyle going up those stairs. 

But first...awwww...I didn't realized 6-22 was the John tribute episode. Oooooo...how I loved how it was centered on Traci. It has gotten rare that we get a peek into Traci and her 'inner' life so see her with her agent was cute. And I loved her being the denmother between Jack and Ashley. I LOVED the flashbacks. And that last montage...I had tears. But I'm a sucker for Abbot episodes. 

Speaking of which, I continue to be enjoying Jack/Diane vs Ashley/Tucker and how Billy keeps being put i the middle of it all. It's funny really since it has usually been Jack or Ashley reacting to Billy's mess. So It's refreshing to see him reacting to them for a change. Anything to get Billy away from Chelesa for me. And Ashley vs Diane is always fascinating to watch. Hard to believe it used to be Nikki/GigglyHeffa/Ash vs her and now Ashley is alone though. 

Over this whole Phyllis storyline. I will be here for Christine throwing the book at her. I can't believe she just upped and walked into Michael's room. HOW?

• Members

It feels like with this being the show’s 50th year, tptb want to squeeze in every character that they can who has been part of the show’s history, whether in flashbacks or in actual scenes. Honestly, at this point, especially since the kids that he and Victoria share aren’t even shown onscreen these days, there isn’t much reason for him to return.
Now if they were going to find a legit reason to bring Colleen back, that would be a very compelling reason to bring JT back to the canvas. I mean, that heart transplant storyline never made much sense. Surely, Victor must have received someone else’s heart, right? There could be a worthwhile mystery for Chance to investigate there. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I've honestly thought about Colleen too. It's totally against my DNA to support something like that, but the show has already compromised that value with Phillip III and I must admit the Diane comeback really worked out. They could just say Victor had her spirited away to a Swiss rehab (nevermind that he had just been shot, lol) and he got a different heart. It would be incredibly cringeworthy but once they blew past that stage, as with the other comebacks and Amanda and Mariah being lost long twins of deceased characters, it would be nice having her back. But only if it's Lyndsy Fonseca or Adrianne Leon. 

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Yeah, Lyndsy or Adrianne are the only choices that would really work and I would lean more towards Fonseca because I thought she and Thad had incredible chemistry on Nikita a few years ago. I actually would hope that any story that would bring Colleen back would be much more detailed, it would be nice if Victor ended up being shocked that he got someone else’s heart and seek to find out whose heart he actually got but I wouldn’t have him be the one to discover that Colleen is alive, give someone else a chance to be involved in a story, possibly a newer character who doesn’t know Colleen. I know how I would write it but I am often told that today’s viewers wouldn’t have the patience for all that.

• Members

I'm curious how you would write it if you care to post. For me, it's that I so hate stories where people make impossible comebacks that I would want to rush through the explanation as soon as possible and then just have her be a normal character with normal problems again. It was such a dumb move and a bad storyline (I mean the Patty Emily doppelgänger) that it's hard for me to imagine making it make sense! 

• Members

Best that subsequent regimes just had Traci adopt a child. Or maybe a reveal that Steve had a daughter who turns up and becomes a surrogate daughter to Traci.

The back from the dead (Phillip/Diane) or doubles (Mariah/Amanda) stories have been poorly constructed and only the Diane reveal -as nonsensical as it was -has had any real impact.

It speaks to the incompetence of TPTB that those decisions were made in the first place (excluding Phillip)

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

No doppelgängers, no Dr. Frankenstein-ish clones, simple medical malpractice (okay, maybe not so simple). I would have done it years ago though. You may not have been on this site years ago when I wrote a treatment for the story. It was when Reed Hellstrom was still on the canvas and got into all the trouble. I had him managing to change his mandated community service to a charity run rehabilitation clinic where he becomes fascinated by a patient with some form of “locked-in” syndrome. The administrators ( a few of whom are nuns, no less) discovered that Reed is a musician and allow him to participate in the music therapy program. Of course, Reed spends a lot of time “serenading” this particular patient and he swears that she is responding to the music. At first dubious (as this patient has had fits and starts for years, a few times mumbling incoherently, once even what was believed to be a word or two), one therapist begins to see that “Jane Doe” is indeed responding.

Victoria and JT (this would have been before JT went off the rails emotionally and mentally) are impressed with Reed’s newfound sense of purpose and his commitment to his community service. JT is particularly intrigued by what turned Reed’s mindset around.  Reed doesn’t get into details but describes how he has witnessed an apparently miraculous transformation of one particular patient. JT quips “What’s her name?” Reed says, “I dunno…Jane Doe?”

As Reed begins to spend more time at this charitably-run convalescent hospital, Victoria begins to become concerned that Reed is spending too much time with this apparent “lost cause”. JT questions why Victoria is so dubious that “Jane Doe” can recover. Victoria says she will be relieved when Reed’s community service mandate comes to an end. Reed overhears this conversation, of course and when his community service is complete, he begins to stall, not admitting that his has ended. When pressed, he lies and claims that he is no longer going when he is, visiting Jane Doe and serenading her with song, which Jane Doe is responding to, more and more and making progress. One day, on a hunch, a suspicious JT decides to follow Reed but is stopped at the front desk by an administrator as JT doesn’t have an ID badge. JT tries to explain why he’s there and identifies himself as Reed’s dad. The administrators gush about how dedicated Reed is and how much his music has meant to the patient. In the room nearby, Reed takes out his guitar and begins to play by Jane Doe’s bedside. Reed asks Jane Doe to say a few words the way she did at other times and  also asks why she has her back turned to him today, but she says nothing. JT requests to see his son. The administrator won’t allow JT to enter the patient’s room but allow JT to go just outside the door, where JT calls out to Reed, who immediately looks at JT and gestures for him to be quiet, points to Jane Doe in bed. JT says “I need to talk to you Reed”. As Reed walks toward JT in the background, camera closes in on Jane Doe’s face, which we really haven’t seen before. As we hear JT’s voice trail off as he asks Reed for an explanation, then saying “we’ll talk about this at home”, Jane’s Doe’s eyes suddenly open no she springs up in bed, takes a big gasp of breath, as if awakening from an intense dream. Jane Doe is revealed to be Colleen Carlton. She looks toward the door. JT and Reed are gone. 

• Members

The rest was a few more scenes with Victor, upon Nick’s suggestion, hiring Paul (who was still marginally on the canvas) to investigate the root of what happened and JT working with Paul (this was before the show decided to do that ridiculous DV storyline, until trying to undo it all) before basically writing an outline for what what happen next. Colleen’s struggle to reclaim her health, bit by bit, her and JT reunion and renewal of their relationship, but Colleen’s fears that her progress could stall, despite making what doctors deem miraculous and rapid progress, becoming a burden to her family and especially JT and what it would mean for her future with JT if she is permanently disabled.

Jack, Ashley and Billy are thrilled to have Colleen back but worry about the toll it is taking on Tracy to be so hands on in Colleen’s rehab, having to witness her struggle. Jack knows someone who may be able to help. His old friend Sarge, who he contacts…

Sarge, is empathetic to Jack’s niece and Jack’s family’s plight but Sarge has a wife, ironically, once a Jane Doe herself, who he cannot leave at home. Jack asks if she is disabled and Sarge responds “not anymore” as she went through a long rehabilitation to recover her ability to walk and talk and can now do both with ease. Jack is more convinced than ever that Sarge is the man for the job and pleads with him to give the offer serious consideration. Jack would pay relocation costs, plus a generous salary.