General Hospital: May 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Then, when Sonny inevitably tires of life with Nina and returns to Carly or Alexis or even Brenda, she and Ava can team up once more and pretend Nina is in danger from some mob figure and needs Sonny for protection.

All of a sudden, it's starting to feel like SEARCH FOR TOMORROW, lol.

I've got it!  Willow secretly learns she was misdiagnosed at the same time Nina, complaining of symptoms, undergoes some tests at the hospital.  Willow learns Nina is dying of cancer, so she switches her medical file with her mother's.  People continue feeling sorry for Willow, who laps up all the attention, while Nina gets sicker and sicker (tm Blanche Devereaux).  (Nina could think it's just Long COVID!). That way, Willow is eventually exposed as a fraud and banished from PC; and by the time Nina and everyone else learns she's the one who's dying, the cancer will be so advanced that there isn't anything that anyone can do to save her.  Nina's dead, Willow's gone and democracy lives on.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's too bad Sonny/Nina are what they are now.  I thought there was something there when they started interacting as Nina/Mike.  It felt at the very least a little fresh for Sonny, but it's devolved into the same old same old romance for him.  

• Members

That's always the trouble with Sonny.  His relationships - with Nina, with Connie/Kate, with Olivia, with Carly, with everyone except Lily (who died before she became really boring) and, of course, Brenda - start off great, but they devolve into nothing.  As a matter of fact, I'm looking on soapcentral.com at the list of all his paramours and some of them I just plain don't remember.  (Who da fuq was Hannah, lol?)

• Members

Agreed.  Although I would argue Lily was boring from day one. 

I think the archetype is the Brenda romance for Sonny and for whatever reason the show just keeps playing the same story in different ways to see if it will work again.  The mob is bad and dangerous.  No woman can handle it.  Got it.  If Sonny's relationship with Claudia wasn't so awful and misogynistic it actually might have worked better.  It was a different take to a Sonny romance.

Hannah was played by Jonathon Jackson's now wife Lisa Vultaggio.  She was an FBI agent that was brought in to seduce Sonny and get incriminating evidence against him.  She came in after Brenda "died" and was chosen for the assignment because she looked so much like Brenda.   She dated AJ and Taggart after Sonny.  It was a flop, but LV did really look like a Brenda/Lily hybrid. 

• Members

No.  The romance itself wasn't good at all and it is the first Brendabot to make an appearance on the show. But it actually moved the Jason/Carly/Sonny story forward a lot.  Carly is the one who figured out that Hannah was a FBI agent and it ended up being a catalyst for the beginnings of Sonny/Carly. 

• Members

Why not have one of Sonny’s love interests completely lean into the mob life? Not the weak way Carly did but someone who revels in it and becomes his partner essentially, maybe even more forceful and in love with it than he is.

The way the show is handling Curtis and Portia’s separation is so odd. In three months they’ve had maybe 5 scenes together? They are married. And I don’t feel an ounce of the push and pull and anguish and longing that these newlyweds should be displaying. I understand he’s upset and disappointed in her but he was hopelessly in love with her in February.

And Portia is doing absolutely nothing to fight for her marriage. She’s just crying and apologizing. Take some initiative! Make Curtis shît or get fûcking divorced!

Edited by Darn

• Members

Tracy adds so much to this show that I don't even care she's blackmailing her weak ass granddaughter. It's also great that there's no Luke for Tracy to orbit around either.

Jane is just such a formidable presence that you can't ignore. Please GH, keep this woman happy until cancelation. Kthanxbye.  

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

That was Claudia, who was born in that world. Of course there was one specific thing that doomed her (getting Michael shot).

Curtis and Portia are horrible. She deserves so much better but won't get it because this show will not invest in two black women. Trina is enough of an imposition for them and I still don't trust the show not to have Spencer turn around and fùck Esme.

• Members

No, not like that. Someone completely foreign to the mob world. Think Skyler stepping up as Walt's right hand when she found out he was Heisenberg (idk if you've watched Breaking Bad).

Take Nina for instance, if she wasn't an awful mess of a character, finding out that she enjoys the ins and outs and power that comes with running a crime syndicate. 

• Members

I always thought Sonny/Faith would have been an interesting pairing.  Obviously, she was already in the mob world, but she knew the ins and outs and did enjoy it.  I am sure MB wouldn't have been into it because Faith was the villian and back then it was very clear Sonny was the good mobster.

• Members

I really thought Cynthia Preston was going to set GH on fire as Faith.  She was so bold and unpredictable, exactly the kind of character you'd need on a soap to keep things percolating.  I wonder what happened BTS to cause her to be killed off so relatively soon.

• Members

She had quite a bit of story that she ran through in that time.  I do wonder why she was killed off, but Faith's last story was kidnapping all Sonny's kids and faking Michael's death to give him to AJ.  Perhaps Guza or Phelps thought Faith had been taken too far.

Edited by carolineg