John

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A nice idea, but the Friday the 13th rights battle between its producer Sean Cunningham and ex-AMC scribe Victor Miller (who wrote the first film) has been going on for years now and I have no faith in this actually coming to pass (and let's not even get started on Peacock).

I have several of the scripts various people tried to put in production over the last decade. One was a wonderful draft by ex-Hannibal and Channel Zero writer Nick Antosca, who later did Antlers and now works on Chucky, which was sort of half Richard Linklater, Dazed and Confused-esque coming of age film, half daylight slasher movie. That was going to be directed by David Bruckner, who just did the brilliant The Night House and the decent Hellraiser reboot. Didn't happen. Then there was a weird draft by the guy who wrote Villeneuve's Prisoners, which tried to sort of mash together a prequel and the first two films all into one script, with three killers - Mrs. Voorhees (in a role written for Vera Farmiga), her previously-unseen husband and finally the undead Jason, all across multiple time periods, all in 90 mins. There was also a found footage take floating around.

Everyone from Blumhouse to LeBron James has wanted to acquire the rights and get these movies back into production. None of it came to fruition because of the fight over ownership, which also sank any future updates for the wonderful PS4 video game. Here they're trying to get around the rights snafu because Miller now technically owns the right to the intellectual property of the first film he wrote (i.e., Mrs. Voorhees, Jason only as a child/ghost, etc.) but cannot use the 'real' Jason or anything else from the sequels. I suppose it's workable, but why? The only reason I have interest is because Bryan Fuller is attached, and that's a whole other can of worms.

As with any other project Bryan Fuller has attached himself to in the last 5-8 years, I will only believe it exists when it actually goes into production and he's still onboard for longer than six subsequent months. He's still very talented but I knew his queer-centric Christine adaptation he's been writing would likely never come out (and I'm pretty sure it won't), and given the ongoing rights drama here I have serious doubts this ever will let alone with him still involved. If he doesn't want to end up just going back to more Hannibal he needs to actually produce a new project to completion. A Friday the 13th legally-enforced prequel project at a flailing streamer is not the best bet. But I guess we'll see!

Edited by Vee

• Members

If it's set before the movies, it is a prequel. Miller does not have the rights to anything beyond the material in the first film.

The story now indicates other parties are now involved which do have more of the rights to Friday, but also that they can only do use of those things in the context of a streaming series vs. a movie and frankly, I'm not convinced that will hold up in court. Cunningham is litigious and possessive.

Edited by Vee