ARTICLE: DOOLApp to Shutter with ‘Days of our Lives’ Digital Content Moving to YouTube

Errol

• Webmaster
Eric Martsolf, Days of our Lives, Eric Brady, DAYS, DOOL, #DAYS, #DOOL, DOOLApp, #DOOLApp

Just over three years since its launch, Corday Productions has decided to discontinue support for the DOOLApp, its popular interactive application dedicated to the promotion of daytime drama “Days of our Lives.” The news was announced via a video posted on the application on Thursday, January 27 wherein cast member Eric Martsolf (Brady Black) informed users of the app that all current and past content they’ve come to enjoy will be transitioning to the show’s YouTube page with new content posting weekly.

“We have decided to move all of our digital content from the ‘DAYS’ app onto our official ‘Days of our Lives’ YouTube channel, and not only will you be able to see previous content but we’ll have new clips, new teasers… everything from our cast that you want to see and you’ll be able to see it on that channel on a weekly basis,” said Martsolf of the transition.

Citing a post in the comments section with a link to the show’s YouTube channel, an official statement from the series notes that international fans will now be able to see the content previously published on the DOOLApp with its transition to YouTube. Additionally, a note of thanks was published to the fans who downloaded and supported the application since its launch in November 2018 which coincided with the show’s 53rd anniversary.

DOOLApp, Days of our Lives, DAYS, DOOl, #DAYS, #DOOL
Corday Productions, Inc.

The DOOLApp took two years to develop before it was officially launched on November 7, 2018. Its development team consisted of  Tyson Parsons and Lien Gray of Media Bridge Marketing, along with former “DAYS” co-executive producer and creative director Greg Meng, former director of communication Maya Frangié, and content producer Michael Fairman of michaelfairmantv.com. It featured exclusive access to behind-the-scenes footage, fan-favorite clips from the video vault, exclusive/original content, personalized cast sections, a fan Q&A section, and more!

At press time, there was no official launch date for content transitioning from the DOOLApp to YouTube.

Full episodes of “Days of our Lives” will remain available exclusively on Peacock.

Note: The post DOOLApp to Shutter with ‘Days of our Lives’ Digital Content Moving to YouTube appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Very very interesting.

The Bold And The Beautiful effect, would you say?

I ask because I have noticed that B&B gets daily engagement on their YouTube channel. Also with their uploads, they have likely been able to monetize much of their content and of course, stream all kinds of ads since YouTube is sort of agnostic (other than Google) when it comes to media and other brands. I have seen ads from Amazon, Netflix, HBO Max, NBC, Paramount+, Hulu, even A24, and a whole host of brands (Vrbo, Buick). I have joked that B&B From The Beginning is probably getting a better variety of ads than what today's B&B gets on network.

Moving to YouTube will probably be more lucrative or at least  a more seamless platform than to deal with maintaining their own app, imo.

What do you think @Errol?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Webmaster

Definitely agree. However, the DAYS channel is run by NBC and not one run by Corday itself like the B&B YT page is run exclusively by the Bell family, so this is probably a 50/50 revenue share between NBC and Corday/Sony. It's not like Peacock can include that content as it stands and NBC.com isn't generating the revenue anymore like it use to since the ABC and NBC network websites have become devoid of any real content. So, yeah, I do believe this is in response to B&B and its posting episodes every day and likely generating good revenue. Being that DAYS is more socially involved (meaning social media, not real-life issues), I'd expect larger audience for DAYS in that regard.

If you never noticed, the reason GH posts daily five minute clips of each episode is because they are getting revenue from that clip on YouTube and Facebook Watch. This is an additional method for the soaps to supplement their revenue for their production studios and/or their broadcast networks. YouTube is still king in terms of getting your content in front of the right audience, and a large one at that.

• Members

Oh wow, well that's interesting and the NBC role is more than something to consider. I admit, I don't know that much about the business machinations of Days. I wonder if NBC will even keep keep tighter control over what ads will be allowed to run.  

I like the fact that movie trailers as well as classic commercials sometimes run during B&B: From The Beginning. I am not sure how intentional this is though, lol but I like that they sometimes choose to just go with the flow.

Of course, sometimes quality control is absent but oh well, it's free content, what're you gonna do? 

• Webmaster

YouTube ads, like most/all online advertising, are user generated in that your typical habits online tells them what content you are more likely to watch in terms of what ads they should show. This is more so from a stats perspective in that each YouTube channel has a core demographic, and when you have registered watchers watching your content you can easily get an idea of what these people are like in terms of race, age, location, etc. While the channel doesn't control the ads itself (all done by YouTube algorithm), it wouldn't be surprising to see ads like movie trailers and the like. The median age of a YouTube watcher is vastly lower than that of the typical soap median age on a broadcast network so by posting on YouTube the exposure is helping generate a more youthfully engaged demo. 

Far from the classic episodes fans are clamoring for.

• Members

An interesting development and good for DAYS - the app is something that a lot of their potential audience would miss out on and the revenue opportunity provided by YouTube is greater. 

B&B, as usual, is leading the way in terms of distribution innovation - have been since the 1980s.