Days of Our Lives: December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree Kristen should come and go. She's too much of both extremes she doesn't work as a more... stable character. She should always reach for happiness, get a taste and fall short. Come back, wreck things, disappear, attempt self-awareness, baby steps to redemption, maybe another taste of happiness, here's the next threat... boom. She's off the rails again. She can wreck Rachel when she's grown too. The character could generate a decade of story.

She's a tragic character of both extremes who mirrors the world today but she should never be a "regular" character like John, Marlena, etc. But she has broad appeal and I think Stacy is KILLING her, personally.

I'm not the same Kenny that posted here years ago. I mostly used the show as distraction from personal trauma and I kind of went on a personal journey. I'm not even close to the same person I used to be, I've grown up and I'm a much kinder version of the sarcastic prick I used to be. Try to be anyway.

My tastes have changed but my sensibilities have stayed the same.

I don't feel the same attachment to Days that I used to but I jumped back in after my grandma died this year, mostly for the nostalgia, and I know what appeals to me with fresh eyes without the attachment of needing it to be exactly like it was in the past.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Bryan Dattilo in NO way should be re-cast.   He IS Lucas.  It's DAYS that wants BD keep his hair the same.  Remember a few years ago, he came back with a fresh shorter cut, but BD said in a interview the show wanted him to grow it back. '

I do think Eileen Davidson should be the one and only Kristen.  Stacy Haiduk should either just play Susan or be written off entirely with Eileen playing Susan as well.

I liked Billy Miller as Billy on Y&R and as Not Jason Drew on GH, although he was too young for the part. Miller would be good on DAYS, but maybe as a Phillip re-cast, or maybe a Rex re-cast, which is where I'd put him since I cannot stand Kyle Lowder. 

The re-possession of Marlena would be much, much better if  it was taken seriously all the time, instead of the comical take about half of the time, or more. 

• Members

Except I'm neither of those things, lol! I don't watch this show regularly at all, haven't in years. And I almost never revisit the Reilly '90s because I find it a lot of it very bad; I think James Reilly helped destroy this show at least as much as he took it to the top. So there's absolutely no nostalgia to be had there for me. And I have never been a stan for ED; I don't follow her from show to show, I don't do that for any actor. But I know her strength and I know her impact any time she appears. And I am able to take a very unsentimental look at the show, because I have no attachments to it atm. It's nice that her castmates love Haiduk and I think she acts her heart out onscreen. But none of that matters in terms of the results the show has left her with. The only fans the current, confused iteration of Kristen seems to have are maybe half a dozen folks on Twitter.

You're right that shades of grey and complexity are necessary for mature storytelling. Except DAYS has no mature storytelling. It is incapable of writing a complex, reformed or nuanced Kristen Blake, and meanwhile the only popular Kristen with a broader audience is still Eileen Davidson. Stacy Haiduk is very talented but has not made it work, and the writers certainly haven't either. Kristen is not going to evolve because the writers don't know how to write it, because the audience has rejected it, and also because some larger than life characters just don't lend themselves to that anymore. Kristen is not needed on this show year-round, she is always a force of nature, and meanwhile Eileen is the only actor that has been able to sell with the audience long-term. So why not do what the character is actually good at and has been an audience success with?

As for Corday, it's obvious he doesn't like BD. But I don't care what he likes and I never have. if this show is going to truly flourish and evolve on streaming it will have to do it without his micromanagement or those of his varied underlings. Otherwise it's going to be the same old thing.

Edited by Vee

• Members

100% valid. It's all about perspective. Mine is different but I also understand yours.

I think the show is, or should be, capable of writing nuanced, complex villains and I think the audience is ready for it, but I think fan opinion is influenced by social media from people who have sentimental attachment to "their" Days or "their" characters. Most general viewers aren't Twitter diehards seeking confirmation bias but I totally accept there are varied opinions.

I wouldn't lose sleep if they killed Kristen so long as they replaced her with an archetype equally as compelling. I wouldn't lose sleep regardless. I'd think it was a shame but it wouldn't be the first mistake the show made.

Kristen has the history and motivation to drive chaos and story for years. Others feel different and that's cool. From my view the elements are there. She has broad appeal and I don't think Stacy is as hated as Twitter makes it seem. But they should definitely rotate her in and out.

Just my two cents.

I see I stand alone again.

Please register in order to view this content

I also think Billy Miller would make a good Phillip for what it's worth.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Thanks! I've enjoyed being back. 

Let's not talk about "that" Kenny. I was awful to everyone. One foot in front of the other I try to be better every day.

I've enjoyed getting back into Days. I gave it up around 2014 and only watched a few times a week for years prior to that, even when ED was there. I just didn't care anymore. I needed to work on myself and my tastes changed.

I've gotten back into it and it's been fun. It's totally a comfort thing with my grandma dying but I'm not married to any of it anymore. I'm watching with fresh eyes and it's kind of cool after hate watching and wishing every writer doom for 10+ years.

I see my Billy Miller idea wasn't popular though.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by KLN

• Members

Ben standing there looking like a dope while Doug, Julie and Ciara sang "Angels We Have Heard On High" was funny.

As for Sami's kidnapping and the aftermath, the less said about it, the better. Sucks that SOD's Best Couple of 2021 was ruined before the year was even over.

• Members

EJ forgiving Sami sure was quick.  Like that's it?  EJ was awful to Sami for months and just changes his mind in 3 scenes and what a crappy thing to do to Nicole.  This story sucks!

Ugh with MarDevil just running around town unnoticed.  I know the devil can shape shift, but they are showing it as Marlena and Marlena is just hanging out at the Town Square and the Police Station?  Jan/MarDevil do make an entertaining team though.

I laughed at Belle/Jan getting on her knees too.  

Does anyone know if JKJ is done as Phillip or is he just gone for now?  

It's also one thing for Doug/Julie to accept Ben, but to have him put the angel on top of the tree.  I can't........