Which soap won't survive by 2025?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I imagine it does fine. AMC and OLTL were #1/#2 when they dropped each week/day so I imagine soaps do a lot better on streaming then gets talked about. DAYS was/is #1 for NBC online. Not sure where it falls on Peacock. Again, I still imagine it does fine. 

Not sure on Y&R/B&B streaming. They haven't really had an outlet except All Access which is becoming Paramount+ so we will see I guess.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Since 2013 and the show only getting one year pick ups, March 8 is the latest date that DAYS has announced renewals. Ken Corday has said the current contract has them filming until April 26, so if we don't have an announcement for a renewal this week, we could very well see the end of DAYS sooner than later. At the very least, it could mean some sort of change is being negotiated.

• Members

Honestly, I see all four still on the air in 2025, if only because the networks STILL won't have anything to replace them.  If even one show goes, it'll be because that network has given up the ghost and ceded the airtime back to the affiliates.

• Members

ITA with the "auto pilot" remark.  The remaining 4 had a bump around 2012-2014 with the loss of four long-time shows, but now it's a slow decline yet still steady enough to sustain for some years ahead. None of the four remaining shows will try anything innovative and groundbreaking at this point. It's just wash, rinse, repeat. Keep it simple; keep it budget-friendly. Keep it alive; keep everyone employed. 

Did ANY of us think in 2011 that both Days of Our Lives and General Hospital would be around in 2021?  We even thought Y&R and B&B would be gone by 2020. Meanwhile, you had the AMC & OLTL Hulu reboots fizzle out just a couple years before Hulu, Netflix, streaming went BOOM.  It's hard to predict in this day and age how television will evolve, where people are cutting cable cords, picking 'n choosing which streaming services they want, etc. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

The shrinking of sets that I am reading about in show threads feels a bit unsettling to me because it takes me back to the last years if some cancelled soaps.

When soap sets become unsightly and the scripts are bad, it just doesn't seem to portend a bright future.

• Members

I just love that word "unsightly". LOL.  One of my friends and I in college and I would have a bit - when something was bad, she would say "It's just GHASTLY!"  and I would reply "OHHH it's UNSIGHTLAYYYYYY!"

• Members

Someone in Y&R thread mentioned the word to describe their current sets, which inspired this post, lol. Since I almost never watch the show (or any daytime dramas) anymore, I felt weird about posting this thought in there.

Also, the word "Ghastly", always tickles me, lol.

• Members

Days sets must be minute if Y&R appears to have space!

Covid has obviously affected budget (cost of regular cleaning etc) and production (number of extras, sets etc) so Y&R eg is looking threadbare compared to only a few years ago.

So long as they produce some kind of profit they will continue for now.

If to do so, the budget keeps getting cut it will surely reach the point that they cannot be feasible any more.

Also, the shows need to stop writing like its 1985. Get rid of the big corporations( with no offices and employees) mega wealthy citizens (who live in one room homes or tiny hotel'suites') and fancy restaurants (with no patrons) and pivot to a more realistic narrative.

• Members

Agreed and I was just thinking of that the other day. Yes, GL's switch from the hustle bustle of Springfield (with skyscrapers and various haves-and-have-not neighborhoods) to the vast open fields of Peapack were a bit harsh, but surely these 4 remaining shows (well, minus LA-based B&B) could slowly pare down the show's mega corporations and mansions, as their budgets no longer adequately represent those lifestyles.