Who here adores Alanis Morissette?

Adam

• Members

She pretty much defined my childhood. I loved Jagged Little Pill. I remember I bought it myself (I had to have been 9 or 10 at the time) because I was pretty sure that my parents wouldn't have bought it for me. Her other albums weren't as good, but I loved the acoustic version of JLP that was released last year.

You know how some songs/artists make you feel nostalgic?? I think that AM does that for me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

her early 90's pop! :lol: I loved "Too Hot" and some of her other songs.

JLP is one my favorite albums. So many goods songs.

I still just call her "Alanis." She's from Ottawa and her dad was my principal when I was in the 2nd grade.

• Members

Oh that's awesome! I remember she performed at the NHL Awards Ceremony one year and performed Too Hot! Oh and with JLP I was 10 when it came out and it was the first album I bought myself cause my parents would have never bought it because of its questionable lyrical content.... but its different than the rap artists today who say the f word and [!@#$%^&*] just for no reason, she needed to use those words to express her feelings... every song of hers tells a story.... a very interesting story and it really gets you in touch with her soul and feelings. She is such an amazing songwriter!

• Members

I like how angry, raw, and !@#$%^&*]y "Jagged Little Pill" was. I discovered this album my sophomore year in college(which was about a couple years ago) and have loved it ever since. ETA: I remember how...MTV did a spotlight on what fans thought were the best CDs ever released. And "Jagged Little Pill" was number one. I was so impressed with her backstory and the parts of "You Oughtta Know," that the next time I went CD shopping, I purchased it.

My favorite Alanis song is by far, "All I Really Want." When she screams at the very end, it's like she's so frustrated with the men and ignorance that surrounds her.

When I am totally raging, I just listen to that album. Maybe I need to buy some of her other albums too.

Here are lyrics to "All I Really Want"

Do I stress you out

My sweater is on backwards and inside out

And you say "How appropriate."

I don't want to dissect everything today

I don't mean to pick you apart you see

But I can't help it

There I go jumping before the gunshot has gone off

Slap me with a splintered ruler

And it would knock me to the floor if I wasn't there already

If only I could hunt the hunter

And all I really want is some patience

A way to calm the angry voice

And all I really want is deliverance

Do I wear you out

You must wonder why I'm relentless and all strung out

I'm consumed by the chill of solitary

I'm like Estella

I like to reel it in and spit it out

I'm frustrated by your apathy

And I am frightened by the corrupted ways of this land

If only I could meet the maker

And I'm fascinated by the spiritual man

I'm humbled by his humble nature

What I wouldn't give to find a soulmate

Someone else to catch this drift

And what I wouldn't give to meet a kindred

Enough about me, let's talk about you for a minute

Enough about you, let's talk about life for a while

The conflicts, the craziness and the sound of pretenses

Falling all around... all around

Why are you so petrified of silence

Here can you handle this?

Did you think about your bills, your ex, your deadlines

Or when you think you're gonna die

Or did you olong for the next distraction

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse

A sould to dig the hole much deeper

And I have no cencept of time other an it is flying

If only I could kill the killer

All I really want is some peace man

A place to find a common ground

And all I really want is a wavelength

All I really want is some comfort

A way to get my hands untied

And all I really want is some justice

• Members

She babysat you? Wow.... have you kept in contact?

I love her remake of Crazy too Bree. The video is sweet too. Alanis is back in the studio again apparently and her new album will be out by the end of this year. So more Alanis coming our way! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just bought on Amazon her Feast On Scraps DVD/CD combo set from 2002.... the CD includes 8 previously unreleased tracks that were recorded in her Under Rug Swept sessions but didn't make it onto the album and then the DVD features live performences of 17 or so of her songs and also some behind the scenes on the making of her self produced Under Rug Swept.... as a big Alanis fan I just needed this to add to my Alanis collection. Does anyone else have it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I need to come to Off Topic more often!

I love Alanis ... she is in my top 10 artists of all time.

I have seen her in concert twice, and even though her band was too loud on both occasions, she was a stunning live performer.

my favorite album is "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie." She is one of those artists who gets better all the time, but that particular album impresses me the most.

She is one of those whose albums I will always buy on Day One.

I LOVE ALANIS!

• Members

My cousin socked her in the face with a snowball many years ago giving her a black eye. Her irate father threatened to sue, was convinced she'd be a star at around age 9. She was okay; her father was some blustering nut who worked for the Ottawa school board back then.

Archived