RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The other day when I woke up & first thing read that she had passed & I thought about that day in San Francisco when Harvey Milk was assassinated & she was not only there that day but tried to save him & then held him in her arms & I've always thought that her life was forged in that crucible of those events that day. And I just keep thinking about it. And her end of life was so difficult & now she's at peace. I have always had so much admiration for her & she is such a loss to our society, but I know she needed to go. What a servant she was!! Many happy returns, Madam, and rest in power and peace. The thoughts of many go with you. 

• Members

Wow. Another shocker. Used to watch him all the time on Food Network. Was being treated for an allergic reaction and died from anaphylactic shock.

I don’t know if I knew about his sexual harassment allegations. There have been so many cases.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Legendary comics creator Keith Giffen has died.

Giffen is known best for his classic work on my beloved Legion of Super-Heroes and his irreverent, fun revival of the Justice League in the late '80s, as well as co-creating Rocket Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy, Lobo, Ambush Bug and many other characters and books. But I grew up with, and loved best, his controversial late '80s revamp of the OG Legion in 1989, the "Five Years Later" Legion, which was basically thirtysomething in space with a bold new art style, formal/panel experimentation, no uniforms or codenames and a lot of controversial changes, where the teenage superheroes had grown up, gotten old and tired, facing down a corrupt universe that had left them behind. It was both of a piece with the deconstructionist movement of the period in comics yet also way ahead of its time progressively; a mature, epic saga, it's only been more appreciated in recent times.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Vee

• Members

@Vee Thank you for shining more of a light on Keith Giffen. I don't have the full experiences with his work that you do, but I still remember reading through the Darkseid issues he and Paul Levitz created in the early '80s. The Legion were moribund for a very long time, but Giffen and Levitz gave them a sense of not only purpose, but of wonder, alongside an increasingly complex outline of their world. I think what I remember most about the Great Darkness issues are how well they used poor, long-maligned Supergirl, and how much they seemed to influence the tone taken in some of the Crisis - life and death stakes among bleak space rocks.

I also have to give a lot of credit to Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis for what they did with the Justice League. As one of the people who enjoyed the disastrously received reboot with Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, etc. the shift to the wacky humor wasn't entirely to my taste, but I appreciated the spotlight on lesser known characters and the shift to Europe and international waters. Their Justice League run felt very, very much on the nose for that time and place, yet without chasing the grimdark highs or event-mania that would go on to gut comics to their core in the '90s.