Look into the past - 1975

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carol Burnett once said her favorite character - when she first started watching All My Children - was Margo Flax.

Margo was a hot MESS.

I wish her facelift story (from 1974) could be seen.

I believe Margo was also Erica’s roommate when she first moved to NYC to become a model, being signed to Jason Maxwell’s agency.

Margo was an ex-model herself, who had a ‘Norma Desmond’ vibe going on.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

!!

How old was the Snake Charmer, I wonder, when Langley Wallingford (real name: Lenny Wlasuk) got her pregnant in the traveling carnival??

If Verla Grubbs is the same age as her portrayer, Carol Burnett, that would put her in her late 80s, so her mother would be up there.... but, who cares, really??

Anyhow, which classic actress would you cast as the Snake Charmer?? 

• Members

Yes a big thanks to all posters who keep the classic soap years alive by posting this great stuff!

Re Y&R

Seems Jill was back burner at this time. Kay was busy with Joann and at this point seemed committed to that story, probably feeling Kay/Jill had needed a rest.

I wonder if Jill had any connection to that plot? Did she keep in touch with Brock? He could have mentioned Joann and Jill could have gone to her to warn her. Or did Bell want to keep things separate?

He did have the Derek/Jill story in mind.I know he started it previously and dropped it. Was Jill working for Derek at this point and he was off camera? Or was he reintroduced when Joe LaDue came on? Guess the coming synopses will answer that...

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

The Derek Thurston story was supposed to take off in the summer of 76 but backstage drama shelved it for a year. Jeanne was given a story but Brenda remaind supporting during this time. Bell did introduce David Mallory, but I have found few references to him, it seems the character was barely on screen much.

Not sure what happened with Derek. I believe David proposes to Jill and she isn't sure about accepting. Snapper tells her not to rush into things and go see Derek about getting her old job back (I think this is what happens) So maybe Jill quit???

Unfortunately only 4 more from May 77

• Members

Seems like we SAW plenty of Brenda Dickson during 1977, but it was mostly about the Foster drama of Bill dying, and everyone's conflicting feelings about Snapper's having allegedly pulled the plug on Bill, and then the revelation that Liz had pulled the plug.  David Mallory's purpose seemed to be "grounding" Jill, making her nicer and more sympathetic again, as she'd gotten pretty wound-up and bitter during the waning months of the Kay Chancellor "see you in court" storyline.  That way, it had more of a dramatic impact when the Derek Thurston triangle came to fruition finally.  

(My own belief was that it was hard to find a suitable Derek -- and they never really did find one, in my opinion -- and Bell evidently decided that a "breather" was in order, to show how LONELY Kay Chancellor was in the Joann storyline and how Jill could go from wicked (Phillip Chancellor's court battles) to sweet (David Mallory) in a heartbeat -- and all of these character traits ultimately came into play in the Derek story.)  

Edited by Broderick

• Members

Reading through the Y&R scripts and comparing with SOD Synopsis and Daytime Serial Newsletter. It is clear Bryna did the better job. It is a shame as I think Soap Opera Digest killed them off. @FrenchFan I found an article which mentions a FOURTH synopsis newsletter Daily TV Newsletter from New York. I think they all died between 76 - 78

• Members

Yeah I think Bell probably didn't want to wrap Jill up in story so she would be free for the Derek Thurston 'Shampoo' style story that he wanted to tell. Which makes me think the Joann/Kay lesbian story was never going to go anywhere even if audiences were accepting of it. Bell did say if he had a gay character on the show it would more likely be a woman as he felt audiences would be more accepting of that. Though the 70's wasn't the time it seems.

I have heard more about the DOOL gay story and the backlash but little is written about Joann and Kay