LATEST RATINGS: July 1-5, 2019

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Is DirectTV in negotiation with the company that owns the CBS affiliate in certain areas?  This happened to me last Summer - I have Verizon Fios and they got into a pis8ing match with Tegna, who owned 2 CBS affiliates in the country - and wouldn't you know it was Norfolk, VA, and Washington DC.  And they owned an NBC station around Rochester or Buffalo....and those channels were dark for 3 days last year until the contract negotations were done and they came to an agreement.  I'm pretty sure it was the CBS WUSA9 here in DC that had the weight to make them come to an agreement - although the population in the Norfolk, Hampton Roads, VA Beach/Chesapeake areas is the largest municipal population in Virginia.  But the CBS affiliate here in DC serves all DC, and the suburbs of Maryland and Virginia...everyone was 8itching about it.  

• Members

I have no clue on how Direct tv negotiations work. I am in Tex and haven't heard of any problems with CBS or Fox being taken off our programming.

That was a given the first time he was fired. It is laughable and truly sad that fired hack writers are rehired to write for the same show they were fired from. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Although I don't subscribe to cable or satellite, I have seen warnings that negotiations between Direct TV and Direct TV Now and CBS might breakdown which may lead to lack of access for subscribers in the tri-state NYC area. I'm guessing that, for the moment at least, DTV subscribers still get CBS. (*shrugs*)

In terms of the ratings for Y&R, I could be wrong, seeing as I no longer watch but these ratings drops seem fairly progressive.  I'm curious about demographics, whether there is a way to know what kinds of viewers are dumping the show-- beyond age and gender. 

It was always said that black women, particularly in the South were avid viewers...has this changed?  Have those women started to tune out? I know the numbers for younger women tend to be eating away the fastest but in the "year over year" areas there has also been a lot of loss and I'm wondering whether there has been some gradual loss among some middle-aged to older black women viewers that has occurred under the radar.

It's doubtful that CBS would ever divulge a more granular view of the numbers but from what I've observed over the year, with Mishael Morgan gone, the Winters clan all but disappeared after the death of KSJ, Nate and Ana not having much storyline and Devon and, what's her name?  Elena kind of spinning their wheels some of Y&R's most loyal viewers may no longer feel compelled to tune in.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The only soap I follow is DAYS, and I haven't watched it in months. All year they haven't been able to come up with one storyline I've been interested in. It's unfortunate they've taped through the rest of 2019 and can't pull the plug any sooner on the current writing team.

• Errol unpinned this topic