Exciting NHL Playoff Races Heating Up

Adam

• Members

My Leafs beat one of the top teams in the league last night 3-2 over the Hurricanes to keep their fading playoff hopes alive.... The Atlanta Thrashers came from behind in Boston to defeat them in a shootout to leapfrog past Montreal (who lost on the Island) into the 8th and final playoff position. Here are the updated East and West standings respectively

*1. Ottawa- 100pts (14 GR)

*2. Carolina- 96pts (14 GR)

*3. NY Rangers- 88pts (14 GR)

4. Buffalo- 93pts (15 GR)

5. Philadelphia- 86pts (13 GR)

6. Tampa Bay- 77pts (13 GR)

7. New Jersey- 76pts (14 GR)

8. Atlanta- 74pts (13 GR)

----------------------------------

9. Montreal- 73pts (14 GR)

10. Toronto- 70 pts (14 GR)

11. NY Islanders- 68pts (14 GR)

*1. Detroit- 100pts (14 GR)

*2. Dallas- 93pts (14 GR)

*3. Calgary- 84pts (14 GR)

4. Nashville- 92pts (13 GR)

5. Colorado- 82pts (13 GR)

6. Anaheim- 80pts (15 GR)

7. Vancouver- 80 pts (12 GR)

8. Edmonton- 79 pts (13 GR)

------------------------------------

9. Los Angeles- 79pts (12 GR)

10. San Jose- 78 pts (15 GR)

San Jose I think is gonna sneak in there with so many games in hand.... Edmonton better hope and pray they win the next two games.... I think if either team loses the next two between Edmonton and Vancouver they are finished..... IMO. LA is fading, they fired their coach late last night.... but they are gonna miss out....those 5th place through 10th place is only sperated by 4 pts right now and throw Calgary in there two who is not safe by any stretch of the imagination only 5 pts up on LA and Edmonton right now.... its gonna be exciting. Te east is far more cut and dry but the Leafs and Montreal have two straight games against each other tomorrow and Saturday, Toronto needs to win both games to have any hope in hell of making the playoffs and I think Montreal needs them too. should be amazing games. Playoffs, I can smeel em can't wait!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last 10 games the Preds are 8-0-2, and just beat Detroit at Detroit last night in a 6 round shootout, it was an awesome game to watch! I cant believe how much I enjoy hockey now, I used to not even care for it but in the last 2 years it is fast becoming one of my favorite sports to watch, outside of basketball and football.

I dont think Nashville has ever played this well! They FINALLY have a lot of quality depth now because Nashville is playing without one of their best players in Scotty Walker and a few others as well. If this was a few years ago Nashville would have just fallen off. Their home record is just impressive, going 27-6-1.

I hope this hot streak continues, but even if it does Nashville wont get a seed better than a #4 because Detroit has been playing just as good and will more than likely win the division. I think it sucks if Nashville gets over 100 points and still gets a #4 seed.

• Members

Kirk that is one of the flaws in the NHL playoff seeding system but I think the NBA does the same, divisional winners are automatically seeded 1-3.... oh well Nashville is at least guaranteed home ice advantage in the first round.

• Members

Toups I disagree, a sport can still have divisons and still be seeded by who has the most points/wins depending on what sport someone is talking about. The reason for divisions is mainly to play the teams closest in proximity and if they were no divisons at all it wouldnt be fair scheduling wise. Thats just my opinion though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yep some blood condition. Even if they had Vokoun, if they draw Aanaheim (which it looks like they will) I think they would have lost anyway but now its a forgone conclusion. Its too bad, I really like the make up of that Nashville team. Anaheim and San Jose are gonna be darkhorses out west. They are coming into the playoffs as the tow hottest teams in the league. SJ I think seriously wirh the one two punch down the middle in Thorton and Marleau can take on Detroit or Dallas and actually WIN. I am picking them to come out of the west. (provided they get in..... which I think they will) Two huge games against the Nucks this week back to back.... if San Jose wins just one they are in IMO because the Canucks are running out of games.

• Members

Yeah trust me I am sick after learning this news! Nashville finally has a good chance at moving past the 1st round of the playoffs and BAM Vokoun gets a rare blood disorder, causing blood clots. I am just glad the doctors found this out before Vokoun could have been seriously ill or hurt in the ice from his condition.

What's even worse is that Steve Sullivan(best player behind Paul Kariya) and Mark Zidlicky(sp?) are both out and might not be back in the playoffs, especially MZ who is the bread and butter of the Preds power play. The injuries over the last 2 months has really hurt the Preds, but they are still holding on to that 4th spot. In all honesty I dont think the Preds can win a 7 game series without Vokoun, but the Preds are tough to beat at home(29-9), so if they can win all their games at home they have a slight chance. I have listened to local sports radio for an hour today talking about Vokoun and the fans are all optimistic, but I just dont see us winning without one of the top goalies in all of hockey. :(

Besides Detroit, Anaheim is the one team I wouldnt want to face from the west! And it looks like that will be the case, and w/o Vokoun I really don't see the Preds winning now.

• Members

Alright, Ottawa should be getting Redden back today so we should be alright. Our team has NO defence right now, but I have this theory that Murray is seating them on purpose, saving them for the playoffs. I mean, do we really need to win #1 in the East again? I think he's being smart.

But I hope we don't play Montreal with Emery because we won't win. That's pretty evident.

Archived