R.I.P. Little House On The Prairie's Mrs. Olsen

DramatistDreamer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My favorite scene. when she defended Todd Bridges to the racist clown after their trip to the new blind home in WG. she changed. and by the end of the series, even though she still had her ways, she was a truly good person. RIP Katherine.

• Members

MacGregor was a revelation as Mrs. Oleson. We were lucky to have her on the show for so much of its run.

With so many viewing choices available to us nowadays, I rarely watch any series a second time, but there's something about LHOTP that enchants me, and I never tire of watching it. I can only say that about LHOTP, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Mary Tyler Moore Show, I Love Lucy, and vintage soap episodes.

Rest in Peace, Katherine MacGregor. You brought us joy for many years!

I'm off to watch her terrorize the citizens of Walnut Grove!

• Members

I didn't realize y'all had made a thread about her passing. I've been a huge LHOTP fan for a long time, and Katherine MacGregor's performance as Harriet Oleson is a big reason why. Like all of you have already said, she was just the right combination of real bitch (especially early on - the way she used to look down on the Ingalls family was just PAINFUL) and real human to make the character the perfect antagonist. I hesitate to call her a villainess because she never really meant to be anything more than a catty, uppity cnt to people, and the loads of slapstick they had her do made her less frightening.

LHOTP is one of those shows that I love dearly but would never want to really live in because it always seemed hot as hell in Walnut Grove.

• Members

Probably because Walnut Grove was built on a hell mouth, LOL. The amount of tragedy and death that hit the town was proof of that!

People always say how warm and loving LHOTP was, and that's true, but many of its episodes were sick and vicious, LOL. The fire at the school for the blind? Oy vey. Watching Alice Garvey and Mary's baby engulfed in flames was the stuff of nightmares.

Archived