Why are soap fans so averse to online streaming?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Webmaster

Before Disney+ was released, Disney noted that the streaming service would be for family oriented programming only. They have set Hulu up for the adult oriented programming, particularly the FX related content. If the ABC soaps were to have their libraries available on a streaming service it would definitely go through Hulu. Ironically, that's where the reboots were hosted for the short period they occurred. 

• Members

My God I hope this is true! lol I want this to happen so very badly (as do all of us!). I'd subscribe in a heartbeat if this became a reality.

Yeah, they'd definitely put the soaps on Hulu

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I would absolutely love to see Flannery as Laura, Denise Alexander as Susan, etc.

DAYS and Y&R have their entire library intact from what I have read over the years.  GH would probably only give us Monty to today.  They have such spotty access to things before 1979.

This is an exciting possibility!

• Members

DAYS is not my favorite soap by a mile, but even I would subscribe to Peacock to be able to see the first 15 years or so. Disney+ is rolling in dough and doesn't care about me, I know, but I need them to understand that I will continue to boycott their service until they figure out a way to make classic AMC available. I don't give a sht anything else that they could give me.

Doesn't GH have most of its episodes from the 1960s, when it was produced by Selmur, saved? I remember seeing a list of available episodes that included most of 1963-1970.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

(*Ahem*) The article that I posted about 5-6 weeks ago discussed the possibility of 'Choose Your Own Adventure' type of programming being used by companies to market their products (a la Black Mirror Bandersnatch).

And oh, lookie-

I knew I posted this article for a reason and I had P&G in mind too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Oh boy, how things change in the midst of a pandemic!

I remember at this time last year, even just before the Oscars, so many industry folk were decrying the streaming platforms. Netflix was regarded as Public Enemy #1 with cinema operators and the studio system that relied on them. Now, so many studios are flocking to streaming platforms to save their non-comic book movies. Romantic comedies, in particular, are beating a hasty path to streaming. Indie producers are looking to capitalize on the sudden need that streaming platforms now have for films that are already ready for distribution but hadn't been sold yet.

It's very interesting.

No word on how soap fans feel on streaming but I suspect there has been less to whine about in that regard, especially when a show can get interrupted at any moment by a breaking news moment or press conference about the latest grim developments.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I recently signed up for DC Universe digitally. It has all the Wonder Woman episodes with Lynda Carter in 1080p HD which will be out in July on blu ray. The cost is 7.99 a month with a free 7 day trial period.

I wish YR would do something like this with their library vault. 

Edited by Soapsuds